Smittybilt quality? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to DaddyGo
Smittybilt quality?

Let me just start out by saying I'm kinda new to this whole Jeep thing. I've worked on them here and there for the last 25+ years but never had my own to mod as I saw fit. That being said, I finally got a new JKU Sport and wanted to start making it mine. I like the look of the Rubi rails but didn't want to pay Rubi rail prices. I'd rather spend money on other stuff and can't get the best of everything so I figured I'd save the big bucks for more important things. So I opted for the the Smittybilt versions. They're like $200 cheaper and I liked the textured powder coat finish. Matches the fenders better IMO. Anyway, I ordered up a pair and got them last week. I went to install them and one side was bowed out so far in the middle I could see the ground between the rail and the body. The other side I couldn't even install because the mounting studs didn't line up with the holes in the body. So, to make a short story long... I guess what I'm asking is does Smittybilt's quality really suck that bad or did I just get a fluke shitty set? I always thought they were a good company.

Rob-2012 Bright White JKU Sport/Rough Country 2.5" BB w/18/59 springs and Rubi shocks/Front Sway Bar Disconnects/Rubi Wheels & Tires/VDP Stubby Bumper Kit/Off Camber Light Bar/KC Daylighters/ACE Rock Sliders w/Rubi Rails/Kicker Speakers/Surprise Straps Grab Handles. The sickness is setting in!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I have the full line of smitty built XRC armor front, rear bumpers and finders as well as sliders...all the parts i have received have been a perfect fit and look great. I think u may have just got a bad set.
post #3 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Hit and miss, Ive had really good luck with all there products.

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well that's good to hear. Hopefully the replacement set will be ok.

Rob-2012 Bright White JKU Sport/Rough Country 2.5" BB w/18/59 springs and Rubi shocks/Front Sway Bar Disconnects/Rubi Wheels & Tires/VDP Stubby Bumper Kit/Off Camber Light Bar/KC Daylighters/ACE Rock Sliders w/Rubi Rails/Kicker Speakers/Surprise Straps Grab Handles. The sickness is setting in!!!
post #5 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Granite Guru

I, like many, had a problem with my tire carrier latch bouncing open on the road. They fixed it after probably 2 weeks of back and forth with some douche who couldn't remember to email me back some 5 times in a row, but again, they did solve the problem. Honestly though, if I could do it over again I would have gone a different direction. Quality is OK, but its lacking those little things that make you feel like you really got a great product.

Their nick name is Shittybilt though. So take that for what its worth.
post #6 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGo View Post
Let me just start out by saying I'm kinda new to this whole Jeep thing. I've worked on them here and there for the last 25+ years but never had my own to mod as I saw fit. That being said, I finally got a new JKU Sport and wanted to start making it mine. I like the look of the Rubi rails but didn't want to pay Rubi rail prices. I'd rather spend money on other stuff and can't get the best of everything so I figured I'd save the big bucks for more important things. So I opted for the the Smittybilt versions. They're like $200 cheaper and I liked the textured powder coat finish. Matches the fenders better IMO. Anyway, I ordered up a pair and got them last week. I went to install them and one side was bowed out so far in the middle I could see the ground between the rail and the body. The other side I couldn't even install because the mounting studs didn't line up with the holes in the body. So, to make a short story long... I guess what I'm asking is does Smittybilt's quality really suck that bad or did I just get a fluke shitty set? I always thought they were a good company.
Send them back and look elsewhere.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #7 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Granite Guru

They did get the name [email protected] for a reason. But to be honest the only thing i have seen that is bad from them is the coatings and fitment on some stuff.
post #8 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Send them back and look elsewhere.
I wish I could but the company I bought them from is making me try another pair before they will issue a refund. I know...I don't buy it either but all I have to lose is some time and they are very sturdy. As long as I can get a set that fits right I would be happy. I will say, this is probably the last thing I buy from Smittybilt.

post #9 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Gonna probably go with A.C.E. or AEV for bumpers. Thoughts?

post #10 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Gonna probably go with A.C.E. or AEV for bumpers. Thoughts?
There are definitely more companies to check out for bumpers.

Depending on the style you're after, check Poison Spyder, JCR Offroad, LoD Offroad, Genright, Offroad Evolution, OR-Fab, and so on.

And make sure you talk to the vendors here on the forum for the best prices and customer service. These guys know their stuff and kick ass in getting you the best service I've ever had.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
There are definitely more companies to check out for bumpers.

Depending on the style you're after, check Poison Spyder, JCR Offroad, LoD Offroad, Genright, Offroad Evolution, OR-Fab, and so on.

And make sure you talk to the vendors here on the forum for the best prices and customer service. These guys know their stuff and kick ass in getting you the best service I've ever had.
That's actually the reason I was thinking of going with one of these guys. They seem to have good reps and they are local to me!

post #12 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
V8 dreams

seems a lot of folks have the issue with the rails fitting. i had the tire carrier latch issue and they sent me a fix pronto. and it doesn't rattle, so i can not complain when i got a bumper/tire carrier for half price of the competition that still looks good, except where i've hit it on various shit, 2 years later

edit: just saw you were in michigan...i'd definitely hit up ACE as most everybody has good things to say about them. but like merlin said, we have some kick ass vendors here...and i mean kick ass...did i mention they kick ass...*cough*, RCO, EAD, KOR *cough*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 08-21-2012 at 07:16 PM.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I wish I could but the company I bought them from is making me try another pair before they will issue a refund. I know...I don't buy it either but all I have to lose is some time and they are very sturdy. As long as I can get a set that fits right I would be happy. I will say, this is probably the last thing I buy from Smittybilt.
I have them on my 2dr. They fit fine and look pretty good. Try the replacement. If those don't work then get your refund. No biggie. Lots of other better options out there. I plan on adding the ace rails over the Smittys when funds finally allow. I wouldn't depend on the smittys to actually protect much. They just look good covering the pinch seams. Just my opinion.

2012 Silver 2dr Sport with 3.21
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

17x8.5 American Outlaw Partol Wheels
285/70/17 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS
AEV ProCal
Smittybilt Classic Side Protection
PSC Brawler Lite w/ Trail Stinger
Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift With Shocks & Exhaust Spacers
Rebel Off Road Hellfire HID Kit
post #14 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Granite Guru

I'm a top Smittybilt dealer. I think they offer a great balance of quality, price and customer service. The percentage of warranty claims that I have to do is below average compare to other companies. Price is mainly on the lower end. But what I really appreciate about them is their customer service. It really doesn't get better than Smittybilt.
BTW the nickname Shittybilt was true back in the day. But they've made great strides in the past few years to change that persona.

Follow RockRiders on
post #15 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Their stuff is definitely hit or miss. I've ordered one smittybilt product. Wasn't entirely happy with it, sold it for something much better. It's unlikely I'll ever run their stuff on any of my rigs again personally.

Greg
post #16 of 34 Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'll be sure to update the post when I get the replacements.

post #17 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Rock God

Smittybilt is hit and miss. A lot of their older stuff would not line up with bolt holes.

I do have the Rubicon copy rails on my 2-door and they installed no problem. I had a different set of rock rails from Smittybilt prior, one side went on fine. The other side had a mounting hole had to be lengthened because it didn't line up properly.

Their grab handles work great though.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock KrawlerSynergyJKSLoDGoodyear
post #18 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Granite Guru

I have their stinger front bumper and I love it. It's get's lots of compliments and has held up to some abuse. That being said I absolutely hate their rock rails and they are complete garbage. Fitment sucked and the first time I barely tapped a rock with the passenger side rail it bent up into the body of my Jeep and dented it worse than if I wouldn't have had any rails at all. Selling them ASAP and getting a real set of rock rails. They are cheap for a reason.

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.
post #19 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Smittybilt quality = Oxymoron

I hate to bash the product on every thread that brings it up....but basically their rails have a design flaw that causes them to move enough to damage your tub....both side of mine on the first run...

They are aware of the issue and have been contacted about it..I have heard that have taken care of some customers. I personally never heard back.

Again.... They wil continue to build a mediocre product because very few of us will use our rigs in a way that will cause damage, and those of us that do will opt for a better product.

I loved the look of the rails and the quality of the powdercoat was outstanding....with that said. It's the only product I went cheap on....and was the only product I regretted.

Junked em and went with some rocker knockers....kicked the shit out of the last weekend. Zero issues with the PS stuff

DONE

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #20 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Had a smitty tire carrier that liked to open on the freeway.

Had smitty rock sliders on the son's TJ that failed on the first off-road trip.

had smitty seat covers on the son's TJ that lasted less than 6 months.

had a smitty bikini top on my jk and the fastners and straps started breaking during installation

Gave my daughter a smitty air compressor that we won at a 4WP event that burned out the second time used

Had a set of smitty tire deflators that aired down to wildly different weights

installed a smitty center console in my daughter's TJ and the hinge broke after a week

seen more than a dozen smitty winches take a shit on the trail

Are you seeing a trend here?
post #21 of 34 Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Rock God

I'm gonna point out the obvious and say u gave smittybilt way to many chances haha... U should have washed your hands of then right away... I would have

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #22 of 34 Old 08-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Rock God

I just got off the phone with them needing a hardware kit for my fender liners of my new JK Armor corners and guess what....unavailable!

so now I either half ass the install or scrap them.
post #23 of 34 Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
DaddyGo: Gonna probably go with A.C.E. or AEV for bumpers. Thoughts?
Check out the WURX bumper tire carrier combo. The dude is on here and if was going to do it again this is the way I would go. It's not too much more than the smittybilt XRC combo. Got to paint it yourself, but that isn't to a big deal.

Here it is.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=70364&page=2

scroll down a bit

(Edit: I thought it was made in the USA, it's actually made in Canada.)

Last edited by tvernon; 08-23-2012 at 02:27 PM.
post #24 of 34 Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Done with them!!

Well the second set came and is almost worse then the first set! On top of that it was missing the mounting hardware for one side! Getting a refund this time. The company I bought them from was real good about it. I wish they would have let me have a refund the first go round but all I lost was some time (and a lot of packing tape!). Pretty safe to say I won't be buying anything from Shittybilt again! Just wanted to update everyone. Thanks for all the advise.

post #25 of 34 Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

Sorry, but I won't put anything made in China on my Jeep when there are so many high-quality products available that are made here. Yes, they cost more but they are worth it. If you can't afford them, save a bit more. You'll be supporting an American business and that's how we're going to get out of this lousy economy.

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode