JKU as Atv hauler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

JKU as Atv hauler

Hey guys,
I'm looking at buying a 14' trailer, polaris rzr and polaris Atv but I have concerns with using the jeep as the tow vehicle. I just bought the jeep and love it so I'm not buying a truck to haul, I would just not buy the toys.

Ok, my question is that the jeep is rated to tow 3500lbs and the trailer and toys will be about 3000lbs so I'm at the limit but I want to ask you guys what gears should I go with to easy the stress on the drivetrain? I have '12 JKU auto with 3.73 gears and 34" tires. I'll be adding brakes to the trailer ASAP as well

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Hey guys,
I'm looking at buying a 14' trailer, polaris rzr and polaris Atv but I have concerns with using the jeep as the tow vehicle. I just bought the jeep and love it so I'm not buying a truck to haul, I would just not buy the toys.

Ok, my question is that the jeep is rated to tow 3500lbs and the trailer and toys will be about 3000lbs so I'm at the limit but I want to ask you guys what gears should I go with to easy the stress on the drivetrain? I have '12 JKU auto with 3.73 gears and 34" tires. I'll be adding brakes to the trailer ASAP as well

Thanks
If it was me I would go with 4:10's if possible.The other guys might have better suggestions though.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

I have a heavy 6 1/2' x 12' trailer that I haul a Polaris sportsman 500 and a Polaris sportsman 850 on. I have towed it from Oklahoma to western Colorado a few times. The last jeep I towed it with had 35" tires with 5.38 gears. It was 11' JKU w/automatic. It towed wonderful, actually surprised me the first trip I took out there pulling through the mountains. My new jeep is a 13' w/a 6 speed, I will be running 41 1/2" rocker radials with 5.38 gears. If it was me and I planned on staying with 34" tires I would put 5.13 gears in, but I do like to be low geared though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

Just noticed you had a 12'. 4.88s might be a happy ratio to compromise between towing and just hiway driving on a 12 with the new pen-star.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I plan to up tires size to 35" in the next set and maybe one day 37".
post #6 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
aha

I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon with 4.10 gears sitting on 35's. I have towed my Jetski's (2 of them on double trailer) with the Jeep fully loaded with gear. It towed them without a problem though on steep inclines the Jeep would run in 3rd gear. On flat stuff I could stay in 5th gear but even the smallest incline and the Jeep would drop down to 4th gear. I have since purchased a AEV Procal and will be towing them again next weekend. I am hoping that the Jeep will hold a higher gear with the Procal adjustment. Also my MPG was 9-10 while towing... yuck!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

my opinion only......

if you have an auto, get something to track your transmission temperature. a scangage is a plug-n-play option provided it will work with the 2012. (I don't know if anyone has successfully installed a Aeroforce Interceptor in their 2012, yet...)

i recommend it, but it may not be necessary. if towing at or near the limit of ANY vehicle, you should monitor the transmission. as far as gearing, try it with the stock gearing for now. if the temps are ok and youre satisfied, i'd wait to regear until you're reaching the 35-37 range. 34" tires might be already close, but theres so much more tire mass with the larger/wider tires. re-gearing is expensive.... its literally like divorcing both of your stock diffs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Wheeler

I regularly tow trailer with gross weight close to #3500 lbs. I have a 2012 JKU with 323's and auto tranny . It does just fine. I have towed between PA and FL thru the mountains and the Jeep pulls it with no problems.. I do have brakes on the trailer.Relax and have fun on your ATV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode