Airbag light, but horn DOES work? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Airbag light, but horn DOES work?

Hey fellas
My airbag light has been on for a few thousand miles. Never really bothered me as it doesn't ding every minute or so like a lot of people say. It only dings once when I start the heep and that's it.
My horn works, so I don't think it's my clockspring? Mechanic can't pull a code on airbags they say..

I'm also getting code P0456 - small evap leak. I've check the hoses to the canister and the gas cap itself, everything is tight. I didn't see any cracks either.

Any insight on these 2 issues? I'm getting ready to sell it and I don't want them to be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Rock God

Clock spring, mine will come on every now and then, particularly after turning. Horn works fine

I finally understand JustEmptyEveryPocket...
post #3 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Sounds like clock spring. Look up the recalls. Don't know what year your jeep is. I think 07's have the recall on clock springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Granite Guru

Clockspring as been said. I have seen a couple front crash sensor issues too. But you need the code to figure out what's what unless you just like shotgunning parts.

P0456- Tough code. Be easiest if you could find someone that could smoke the EVAP system so you can look for leaks. Probably just a seal or o-ring on something starting to leak. Double check the gas cap o-ring for knicks and cuts. Some locking caps will set this code, too.

Lord, give me patience. I'm afraid that if you give me strength I'll need bail money too.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Rock God

To 1 - still could be clockspring

To 2 - Could be a sticky ESIM ( The white module mounted on your evap canister )

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #6 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Granite Guru

I say clock spring, they had a faulty issue with some of them.

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Rock God

Yes clock spring like the rest said.

I got the same code and just before it started the word "gas cap" came up on the odom so I think the gas cap is pooched on mine I looked at allthe other options so this is the only thing I got left to check

VE7 ESH
post #8 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Rock God

I get the "gas cap" warning only after my wife has filled up the Jeep and puts the cap on. I don't know what she does different, but I don't seem to have the problem. I am getting the fuel filler neck replaced, so maybe that is part of the problem, we'll find out.

And my cruise control doesn't work. I can turn it on, but can't set it. There is no air bag light and the horn still works so the dealer won't replace my clock spring unless either of those two issues present themselves. They told me it's possibly a bad cruise control stalk. Not the same issue as the OP, but maybe someone else has had this issue too?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My cruise control stopped working one time, it was the speed sensor.

I have an appointment at a local shop to put on new parking brakes.. Supposedly mine are completely gone.
It's an '07. I might cancel my appointment and take it to the actual Jeep dealership to have a few things done to it.

How do I go about getting the recall. Doesn't Chrysler fix that for free?
Not necessarily "getting", but do I just tell them service dept. "it's a recall"?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Rock God

Which recall? Neither the clock spring or fuel filler neck are recalls per say. The used dealer I bought my Jeep from just called the local dealer (by my request) to check the VIN to see if the clock spring and fuel neck had been serviced. Neither were. The dealer asked the symptons of each. When they asked if it puked gas when the gas pump shuts off the used dealer told them yes. They said bring it in whenever and ordered the part for me then and there. They said they wouldn't replace the clock spring until either of the two major symptons existed. Both were a "lifetime" replacement if/when either fail.

Edit: Tell me more about your speed sensor issue and the CC? Was it front or rear? Wouldn't a bad speed sensor cause other issues like an ABS warning or issue (when my Ranger ate a front wheel sensor it would pulse the ABS anytime when under 10mph, very annoying)?

Last edited by D94R; 08-21-2012 at 02:05 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The fuel has overflowed a few times before.
I am just so sick of dumping money into this vehicle. It literally is a Heep. Looks good, but damn. It seems like once I get everything fixed, twice as much stuff needs repair or what not. GOD it pisses me off.

Yes, the ABS light was on as well as the traction control and something else I can't remember. It was the ABS wheel speed sensor.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ya'll think that the light would come on because my steering wheel is off center, and it's not due to a bad clockspring..? Just a thought..
post #13 of 14 Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Rock God

Nope, BAS/ESP light will come on if your wheel is that bad off center, mine was off by what seemed like 10-15 degrees w/o light until I hit the highway, eventually I centered the wheel, but that airbag light, which somehow I manage to ignore now, at least in my case, is the clock spring... Yours might come on more often because the steering wheel is off center,

I finally understand JustEmptyEveryPocket...
post #14 of 14 Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's ALWAYS on, dings once when I start the heep but doesn't ding anymore after..
I'll have to make an appointment at the actual Jeep dealership and have them check into the clockspring.
Thank you guys for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode