Winches??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Winches???

I might be in the market for a new winch. I was involved in an accident a few weeks ago and my Smittybilt XRC 10k got hit pretty hard. I'm looking for a couple things in a winch:

1) must be a 10k or greater.

2) must have a synthetic line as close 100ft. as possible.

3) try and keep it under $650

Any advise, experience with a particular brand, good or bad would be appreciated. If you have pics and where you purchased it would be helpful as well.

I will start a poll once I get at least five winches to consider.

Thank you all in advance.

09 Black JKUR

Last edited by Muddevil; 08-25-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm running the ENGO 10k with synthetic line. I've not used it for an actual recovery, but have played around pulling things just because I can. At roughly 6mo it failed- wouldn't spool out. Again, never used it for a recovery.

I contacted Jason at Krawl, which is where I bought it. The very day Jason got the message (within three hours, really) I had a rep from ENGO ringing my cell phone to confirm my address because he was shipping me a new unit.

Received it a week later with zero hassles. As it turns out, mine was part of a questionable batch. Instead of giving me any run-around on it, they owned the problem and resolved the issue with no questions asked.

If I was to get another winch, I'd get the ENGO 10k with synthetic again and order it through Jason again.

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am firm believer you get what you pay for. I have had very good luck with Warn winches the VR1000S or VR8000S might be a tad more but certainly worth it.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Concepts View Post
I am firm believer you get what you pay for. I have had very good luck with Warn winches the VR1000S or VR8000S might be a tad more but certainly worth it.

Jason
Agreed. After running a Ramsey that broke, was completely rebuilt and broke again, I went Warn and haven't looked back.

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
post #5 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

if i had the money... i'd go with Warn. i had a M8000 that i ran on two different Jeeps. NEVER an issue with it. ran it as it came till i kinked the steel cable then swapped in synthetic line and was very happy with it.

got a "champion" from sam's club for the JK just cause its all i could afford after having a winch bumper w/o a winch for 2 years. wife used it 4 times to winch people out with no issue. first time i used it, the end-crimp with the bolthead pulled off the end of the cable. ironic as it was, i was carefull to keep two wraps on the drum, and it still pulled out. cable wraps warped the crimp connector. other than that, no trouble with it. 8,000lb winch that came with a snatchblock for $300.... i can't complain even if i have to buy some rope for it soon.

still.
if i had the money, i'd buy the Warn. less noise. better quality.. and it comes with a sticker.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #6 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Chevrolet or Ford question. I have used Warn and they are great winches. My last two winches have been Superwinch and they have done very well for the money. I run the Superwinch Epi9.0 and it does come with synthetic if you want that. I have run wire so.

What I like about it.
  1. great line speed (doesn't seem like a big deal but when you are holding up 5 Jeeps behind you it helps)
  2. 9000 lbs pull that has grunt (you said 10 but this will get the job done)
  3. sealed contacts (no issues even under water)
  4. built in solenoid bridge
  5. came with a snatch block ( at least the one I ordered did)
  6. Price
  7. Low amp draw

Last edited by 4x4x4; 08-19-2012 at 04:32 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm a huge fan of the Warn M8000 ...but agree with the above ...if you need the 10,000 then spend the extra money for a VR series.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #8 of 15 Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Were you not happy with the smittybilt? Looks like it would fit the bill for what you spec'ed out for $550.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #9 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Recon for me. 10,500LB. Comes with synthetic line, claims waterproof (never tried) and comes with a wired and wireless remote. Paid about $475

http://truckandwinch.com/recon-10-500-lb-winch.html

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #10 of 15 Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Granite Guru

Going to install my 12,000 pound ENGO with synth line this coming weekend. Obviously can't speak to the performance yet, but at 550 to my door from Marcus at River City Offroad, and a life time warranty I figure its a safe investment.

Looks like that would meet your requirements and then some.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

few distributors are selling the Warn VR10KS. I guess cause its so new. Maybe I'll hold off a couple months to by what I want. I don't know if my XRC10K works or not but it took a good hit in the accident and I'm afraid it will fail when I need it the most.

09 Black JKUR
post #12 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Rock God

That VR10KS is a nice looking winch. I'd like to see it come with a thimble. That low profile is a great idea and I can't wait to see some reviews on it. I've been running their 9.5ti respooled with synth for years now. And I haven't been very kind to it at all. If that new VR10K holds up anything like mine, it'd be worth the wait and the $$$. Nothing like a new winch to make you a bunch of new friends.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #13 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Recon for me. 10,500LB. Comes with synthetic line, claims waterproof (never tried) and comes with a wired and wireless remote. Paid about $475

http://truckandwinch.com/recon-10-500-lb-winch.html

-Dan
Had my eyes on this one for a while. Great price for what you get. Saw 1 in action a few times and the owner had no complaints.

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #14 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Rock God

I don't know if you used your XRC much but I like mine. Only complaint I have is you damn near have to phone a friend to pull the line out manually.

It has done everything else I could expect from a winch with no problems.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #15 of 15 Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
I don't know if you used your XRC much but I like mine. Only complaint I have is you damn near have to phone a friend to pull the line out manually.

It has done everything else I could expect from a winch with no problems.
When I first installed the first XRC10k, it didn't want to engage. The gears were misaligned. So I took it back to the distributor and they replaced it with a new one. I used it a hand full of times to pull myself or others out. Everything did seem to rust on it except the cable which I sprayed with lithium grease. I wish had the cash to get 9.5cti-s from Warn.

09 Black JKUR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode