Quick question for those with ACE front bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quick question for those with ACE front bumper

I just received my ACE stubby and I went to install and I noticed where I am going to have to trip some of the front frame cross bar to make the bumper fit. Even though their website says simple bolt-on and says nothing about having to trim anything??

I have no problem in doing this but I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing before I get the die grinder cranked up!!

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Granite Guru

YES... I had to take a little off the lower brace.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Great! Thanks for the quick response.

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

I didn't do any grinding. The vacuum canister needs to move. I just moved it to the bottom of the mount and the bumper slid right on. I did have to open up the holes a little but it easily fit over the frame rails and such.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Rock God

I didn't have to cut anything but I had to wallow out one of the holes to get the bolt in.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Someone else might know better than I do but isn't there a slight difference in the front of '07-'09 vs '10-'13??

When I lined up the bumper last night the only thing in the way was the frame cross bar that connects the two frame rails. I didn't see any evap canister or anything else that would get in the way. I figure I am just going to have to trim the edges of the cross bar and it will slide right on.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Wheeler

Hi , I had ACE install my front bumper on my 08 JK ( I live only 15 miles from the shop )
and yes they had to cut some cross members off . Adam at that time didnt know why some had the cross members and most others dont. Anyways went on easily after that. So I dont think theres anything to worry about . !
Tom O.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjk View Post
Someone else might know better than I do but isn't there a slight difference in the front of '07-'09 vs '10-'13??

When I lined up the bumper last night the only thing in the way was the frame cross bar that connects the two frame rails. I didn't see any evap canister or anything else that would get in the way. I figure I am just going to have to trim the edges of the cross bar and it will slide right on.
Only the '12's and maybe '13's have the canister. My 11 didn't and didn't need trimming. I'm sure Adams fabrication is more precise than Chrysler's, so I'm sure that's why some jeeps need trimming. Once you get it on you'll love it.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Granite Guru

I should say mine is a 12. Crazy how Chrysler makes slight changes that can really screw the aftermarket guys. I was helping a friend who works in the industry trying to fit a gas cap cover. The 4 doors have a pin on the front of the plastic part that surrounds the gas tube. On the two doors it is on the top. Don't see any reason for it to be different but they need to redo the mold to have two pins so you can cut off the unneeded one.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Wheeler

My 07 didn't need any trimming to install. I enlarged a couple of bolt holes so the bolts went in straight. Jeeps fault not ace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode