Squealing/whistling noise under load - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Squealing/whistling noise under load

Long story short, my dad was going to trade in his low miles 07 rubi (21,000) for a 12 because it started squealing under load at mid throttle and 3 dealers couldnt find the cause. He offered it cheap to me, lower than the dealer was going to give him. They thought it was like a throw out bearing, or clutch disc problem. Only happened under 1/2 throttle right around 1500-2000rpm, most noticeable in 4th gear or higher. When the noise occurred, if you rapidly depressed the throttle or let off of it the noise would go away instantly. Clutch never slipped or seemed to have any problems.

Fast forward to today after using my Chassis ears which are remote transmitters that you connect clamps to places you think make noise and you can track down the problem. I think a must for every Jeep owner! hahaha. Anyways, I started with the running grear, trans, bell housing, transfer case and nothing..........Kinda sounded like a intake suction noise in a way....So I threw all 6 sensor clamps on the plastic intake and BOOM found my noise in the intake tract. Now what? Why is whistling/squealing all the sudden, small vacuum leak? I did a BG throttle body cleaning and still the noise......Jeep has a AEM intake but my Dad said it starting making the noise somewhat before the install.

Anybody make an all aluminum intake? Maybe throw one of those tornado spirals in the intake tube?

Last edited by little squirt; 08-17-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Would you described it as a chirp as well? If so, mine has been doing the same thing ever since I got it 13K ago.

For me, it always occurs after I have been driving it for a while, and it only occurs in lower gears, ie 1-3. Happens whenever I get on the throttle suddenly, or let out the clutch faster than I should. I have never been able to find the source. It has not gotten any worse so I have not been motivated to figure it out and at this point I am used to it.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #3 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

easy fix, go back to stock intake or replace it with something else. My AirRaid CAI made a high pitched sound as well. For some reason, some aftermarket intakes cause that sound and some dont.

Last: RUCON - 2008 Rubicon, Silver 4Dr, Auto, RC 2.5" Lift, Superchips, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Schrockworks Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, KC SlimLites, Raptor Lined Fenders/Grill/Bumper/Hardtop
First: RECON - 2008 X, Flame Red 2Dr, 6 Spd, Trailmaster 4.5", 37 MTRs on 17" XD Addicts, Hypertech Programmer, Air Raid CAI, ORFab Front Bumper, KC SlimLites.
US Army (Retired) - Operation Enduring Freedom 2004-2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Granite Guru

i have this same squeel as OP... VERY ANNOYING. i believe it to be intake related but have yet to find it.. i have put in the RR expo snork and it cut the squeel in half. i tried looking at the TB gasket but it looks good..no idea

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

what is this sensor for?

the chassis ear can hear a distinct noise here as well as when its clipped right on the plastic manifold where the throttle body mounts to it.

Last edited by little squirt; 08-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Wheeler

might be a vac leak check all your hose connections around the intake
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 06:18 PM
AOR
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by little squirt View Post
what is this sensor for?

the chassis ear can hear a distinct noise here as well as when its clipped right on the plastic manifold where the throttle body mounts to it.

MAP Sensor MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE
I believe there should be 2 screws holding it down I can only see one of the mounting holes in the picture is missing the screw and possibly the mounting ear\
I bet that is the source of your noise it would be a vacuum leak. I run a vacuum.boost gauge on my super charged JK I think in those RPM's is where vacuum is about it highest reading around 20hg
post #8 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
MAP Sensor MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE
I believe there should be 2 screws holding it down I can only see one of the mounting holes in the picture is missing the screw and possibly the mounting ear
there is nothing holding it down. i turned it counterclock wise after disconnecting it and it just popped out. should there be something holding it down?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Wheeler

You might also check to make sure your PCV isn't restricted/leaking?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Remove the aftermarket intake and the sound will go away.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Remove the aftermarket intake and the sound will go away.
Yes, I have the stock intake in the mail. I'll report back as soon as I install it.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 10:59 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by little squirt View Post
there is nothing holding it down. i turned it counterclock wise after disconnecting it and it just popped out. should there be something holding it down?

Mine has 2 screws holding it down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode