JK owners red headed step childrens? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
JK owners red headed step childrens?

I was talking to an "old" jeep guy and he was saying, "no offense" but you JK owners are newbs and the guys who are not really into true jeeps. That JK guys are basicly online junkies and dont really know jack shit about real men's jeeps. Im paraphrasing, but thats the message I got.

I am new to Jeeps, I had a Sahara in early 90's but never got into it seriously. I had a ton of friends that had hardcore CJ's and back then they made fun of the YJ's calling them Yuppie Jeeps. Is this just a new form of jeep class warfare?

Im older, mid 40's and could care less what others think of me, I dress the way I dress and drive what I feel like driving, but Im finding that when I wave to other older jeeps they hardly ever wave back. My Jeep is stock as fuck right now but Im working on it.

What is the real deal here?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

You gotta wave like this:

post #3 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You should have asked him if he even knows what the internet is?

This is the first jeep I have ever owned. If that makes me a newb well

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Just old hens who can't hang with or embrace technology. They probably still have boob tubes, suspenders, and dial-up.

They are most likely stuck on their "generation" of Jeep, so anything newer than what came out when they were in their youth isn't a real Jeep. Much like what you hear people with JK's saying about the next generation if it has IFS, or a power top, or a heads up display, or whatever else you can think of that would disqualify the next generation as a "true jeep".

Ultimately, WGAF?
post #5 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

That's kinda funny. My Jk is my 5th Jeep. I have been in and out of the Jeep world for the past 13 years. I have had a CJ7, a few YJs and now a JKU. I still have a YJ that is my trail rig. What's funny is that he is probably driving a TJ. If you are going to talk shit about being a "Hardcore" Jeeper, than you better be driving an old Willy's or something. Oh well. Every group has its douchebags. I guess you met one.

"If you don't drive a Jeep, !#(% you! - Ricky Bobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

2007 JKU - 2.5 RC, Teraflex LK, 315/75R16 Cooper Stt
1995 YJ - stock on 32x11.5R15 SS TSL-R
post #6 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I like how "no offense" is suppose to be the hall-pass for offending

Every group has their old guy vs new guy thing. Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, etc. Jeeps are not immune to people that can't appreciate new things and embrace modernization.

I had someone give me the same speech, and I just told them that I was not aware of the rule that a Jeep had to be uncomfortable, ride rough, and have rattles for it to be a "real" Jeep. My CJ7 was all of those. I am getting old. I like a nicer ride. And A/C. And little things like that.

Lets see what happens when the next generation of Jeep comes out. Maybe it will take a little heat off the JKs

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #7 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
JKO Addict!

The JK is a major step in evolution for the Jeep. Its the first one that has a lot of creature comforts and a four door options which makes it a viable option for families and people who want to use the Jeep more often without sacrificing ride comfort.

As a result, Jeep sales have sky rocketed as compared to the previous models. Sure there are tons of new Jeep owners who dont understand nor want to embrace the whole Jeep culture but there are still those who do.

Does that guy have a stock or slightly modified TJ? If he does go wheeling with him. I bet he will be in shock at how well a JK does compared to his rig.
post #8 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Rock God

I've run into this a few times and I usually tell them I've been into Jeeps since I was 16. Since then I have never had less then one. Usually 2-3 Jeeps can e found in my drivway or garage. Then I usually ask them if they would like to go wheeling and I'll show them what my "pretty Jeep" does.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdog702 View Post
I was talking to an "old" jeep guy and he was saying, "no offense" but you JK owners are newbs and the guys who are not really into true jeeps. That JK guys are basicly online junkies and dont really know jack shit about real men's jeeps. Im paraphrasing, but thats the message I got.

I am new to Jeeps, I had a Sahara in early 90's but never got into it seriously. I had a ton of friends that had hardcore CJ's and back then they made fun of the YJ's calling them Yuppie Jeeps. Is this just a new form of jeep class warfare?

Im older, mid 40's and could care less what others think of me, I dress the way I dress and drive what I feel like driving, but Im finding that when I wave to other older jeeps they hardly ever wave back. My Jeep is stock as fuck right now but Im working on it.

Sorry, old timer. Couldn't hear you over the sound of awesome coming from the factory installed lockers, 4:1 xfer case, free satelite radio, STOCK 32" tires and I pobably couldn't see you because you're way down there on those saggin CJ leafsprings and I'm WAY up here on my 2.5" coil lift that took me three hours to install myself, with hand tools, in the snow and will now allow me to put up to a 37" tire on my Jeep. Oh, did I mention the 4.10 gears that accompany those lockers? Yeah, they're cool too.

See what he has to say then. And then wheel the piss outta your Jeep and leave him choking in your dust.

post #10 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Some folks are closed minded.

A guy in our group has a couple of CJs and has always ahd Jeeps in the family. He got a '11 Jk Rubi and we literally have not seen his CJ since.

I have a buddy with a nice early Bronco. He used to rag on me all the time. Out on the trail, his junk broke. He rode the rest of the day with me. He now has a JKU Rubi.

I swapped rides with a TJ a few weeks ago. The guy couldn't get over how nice and capable my JKU was. I sued to have a TJ. I had forgotten how uncivilized it was.

My JKU can and does go anywhere my old TJ went...................much more comfortably.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #11 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Don't sweat it, that guy will become a victim to Darwin's theory, either evolve or become extinct, sounds like he has one foot in the graveÖ.At my age the JK was a great choice, it was already Ĺ to ĺ of the way to where I want it, less for me to do on it. Iíve gone through the CJs and even a YJ, when I donít get a wave back itís usually because the person driving it has no concept of what a jeep is for.
post #12 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know when i had my CJ it was real easy to mod and work on so I would call JK owners the "Hard Core" Jeepers this chit is getting complicated

And dead stock in my CJ put front tire on a curb and the rear comes up of the ground sooo

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #13 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

He's right in some ways but we're five solid years into the JK. It's closing in on time to make fun of the new _K

Did you say Jeep wave? hehe

Too bad it hasn't been updated to include the JK but here's a funny read:

http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Granite Guru

The only people knocking the JK still are the ones who haven't wheeled one yet, and are to stubborn to see what other people are doing with them...

Where the cool kids in VA hang out!!

Military? Got a Jeep?

post #15 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Granite Guru

Look at it from the outside. How many Jk's are jacked up and will never see dirt. The majority of Jk owners are people with no intensions of ever taking them off road. We are the minority
post #16 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM
trw
Granite Guru

I love people who say this stuff to me. I just remind them of how much work and mod parts it takes to make their "real" Jeeps as capable and solid as my JK came off the dealer floor.

After having a YJ and CJ, I will never go back to a "real" Jeep if I can help it.

2011 JK, made the year before we all die, warranty be damned.
post #17 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

There are definitely a lot of people in JKs that don't have a clue what's going on. They think they are cool looking, but don't really know why they want what they have. Jeep made the JK appeal to a LOT broader customer base versus the TJ, with numbers comes the increase in 'tards.

There are plenty of "real" Jeepers within the JK community, the numbers will just have other Jeep guys running into more mall crawlers than not. Is what it is..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #18 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Well my 07 2 door is my 1st Jeep and I've had it exactly a year. I love it and wouldn't trade it for an older model. I'm a newb and I don't care. I also don't care what Jeep people drive, what they do to it or what they use it for. I'm glad they chose a Jeep and I wave at them. If they don't wave back I really don't care. If I see them again I'll keep waving. Drive what you like and have fun in it. Call me a red headed step child, but I love my JK and I'm not giving it up.
post #19 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm on my fourth Jeep at this point. First was a 2.5L TJ, then a 4.0L TJ, then a '73 J4000 which I love and still own but it will never be finished.

I remember thinking when the 4-doors came out that they weren't real Jeeps. I thought "real" jeeps shouldn't have creature comforts. I also thought that Rubicons were over-rated and not worth the extra coin.

I now know I was completely off base and I don't think I'll ever go back now. I could have never run 35's on either of my TJ's without dropping serious coin on gears and lifts, now I've got lockers 4.1 tcase and 4.10 gears. This Jeep is far more capable than any of my other ones and I get to wheel in comfort with my family, that's a complete win win for me.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #20 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdog702 View Post

I'm sure it's been going on since the willies jeep was replaced. I'm pretty sure my JKU is a jeep since it says so on the hood and the title, and DMV agrees.
We have this same thing going on at the airline, it's called airplane envie. Usually the guys with the smaller jet sayin it to the Heavy drivers!
post #21 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

CJ guys didn't like the YJs because they had square headlights.

CJ and YJ guys didn't like the TJ because they didn't have leaf springs.

CJ, YJ and TJ guys don't like the JK because it's available with 4 doors and has a V6.

CJ, YJ, TJ and JK guys won't like the next Jeep for whatever reason.

Same story, different generation....it'll continue.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #22 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Tires....lifts.......airplanes.........who said size doesn't matter....lmmfao

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #23 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Dan just loves Jeep Wave threads!

And who cares what someone else says....as long as you like your Jeep and you have fun wheeling it then that is what matters. I am not prejudice to other Jeepers, but given I am on Oahu right now, I only wave to modified JKs and all older wranglers....only because if the wranglers are older they are no longer rentals and if they are modified JKs they are not rentals. 90% of all other JKs that are not modified are rentals with the barcode sticker on the windshield. And for the other 10% i wave back if they wave...if I bump into them we discuss the Jeep Wave.

U.S. Army
post #24 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Granite Guru

Old crusty Jeep dudes can't handle evolution. And the young ones that hate are just hipsters in disguise.

Could you imagine people bitching that Windows XP was the bane of computers because they were used to Windows 98?

I remember as a kid dudes bitching that a CJ-7 was "too long" and "too fancy" for a Jeep.

Then everyone went after the YJ because of the headlights and lower ride height.

Then everyone hated the TJ because....well I guess just because it was new. And I think I remember 1 dude bitching about the "fancy" dash and door panels.

Now it's the JK's turn. I'm still not used to PW/PL on a Jeep and especially one with 4 doors. But I own one.

Lord, give me patience. I'm afraid that if you give me strength I'll need bail money too.
post #25 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Wheeler

The only thing I think is lame about my '12 is it weighs 3800lbs. And even still if I had the same tires my lifted XJ did I have no doupt it would walk all over it. I CANNOT WAIT to get some extra cash to beef this thing out a bit. Next years tax return is allready spent...

2012 2dr black on black "currently" stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode