exhaust opinions needed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to cigar196
exhaust opinions needed

Ok so I need your opinions. I'm looking to replace my factory muffler/cat back and I'm curious what you have gone with and liked or disliked. My local muffler guy who knows his jeeps said he put a Gibson on his daughters jk and it sounded terrible. I know this isn't a huge cost investment but I'm looking to make the right choice. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

If you're going to have a shop do it, just have them put a magnaflow or flowmaster under the jeep and get it where it's protected.
simple deal to cut out a muffler's length of pipe, slip in the muffler and throw a tailpipe on.

I currently have a flowmaster 40 in the stock location, sounds good but I'm relocating it under the rig where it belongs.
Just snagged a flowmaster super 44 for $68 shipped off ebay.

It's easy on a 4 door and can be done on a 2 door.

If you prefer kits, cooltech and woods both make kits to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Granite Guru

MBRP has a clip on youtube. Sounds pretty good.

09 Unlimited Silver Rubicon
Riddler Diff covers
Pro Comp 7005 17x9
35" BFG KM2s
AEV ProCal
MBRP black exhaust
Clayton 4.5 lift
Bilstein 5100 shocks
5.38 gears
Woods 1310 driveshafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZZ View Post
MBRP has a clip on youtube. Sounds pretty good.
agree. i think when the stock system go's south, MBRP it is. just can't justify ripping a good stocker off.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11

Last edited by BLACK JK; 04-09-2009 at 08:09 AM.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i have the stocker someone can have for free also i will be selling my gibson set up soon

www.jeepasylum.com
post #6 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
If you're going to have a shop do it, just have them put a magnaflow or flowmaster under the jeep and get it where it's protected.
simple deal to cut out a muffler's length of pipe, slip in the muffler and throw a tailpipe on.

I currently have a flowmaster 40 in the stock location, sounds good but I'm relocating it under the rig where it belongs.
Just snagged a flowmaster super 44 for $68 shipped off ebay.

It's easy on a 4 door and can be done on a 2 door.

If you prefer kits, cooltech and woods both make kits to do it.
I did the flowmaster 40 series as I have done on all my other vehicles in the past....no complaints.$125.00 installed in stock location.It will not sound like a V-8,but it does sound good and it does open up the exhaust.It works.A simple glasspak will also work,again keeping in mind we have V-6's.I can't justify to myself spending big bux on a more expensive system that doesn't do any more.JMHO

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #7 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Here is what I did,

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1623

It sounded ok, there is some sound clips in there comparing the sound to the stocker.

I have since taken it off. I now run no muffler. I just put a turndown section where I cut it off for the muffler in the pics
post #8 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to cigar196

Thanks all I truly appreciate your feedback!
post #9 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

So is there any advantage to doing the headers? Or something further up than just the muffler?
post #10 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCAT View Post
So is there any advantage to doing the headers? Or something further up than just the muffler?
Sure there is,much better power all across the board,it's spendy though.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #11 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

The stock manifold does not look too restrictive to me. That combined with it being N/A I doubt you would see much gain for the cost. Especially if you are leaving the cats in. If you removed the cats and had a way to tune the engine for the new headers you may see a decent gain.

The money it would cost would net you more performance spent somewhere else like gears.

The manifold on the old 4.0 used to break often. I have not heard of breakage issues on the v-6 yet.

also, new headers would not nessesarily be better performance across the board as mentioned. It could, but I assume it would shift the peaks and add power to the higher end. could possibly shift power away from the lower rpms as well. I think the best result would be if it straightend out the power.

Probably sound badass though

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 04-09-2009 at 08:54 AM.
post #12 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If someone was to put headers on,plus the cat-back,you would need to use a programmer/superchip or the like to get the full benifits out of it.I personally don't think the 3.8 is worth all the effort.So back to the original question:a flowmaster or the like,and a cold air,or dropin,is fine.Not much sense is blowing wads of loot for marginal power gains.If you want big power,someone already suggested going with a blower.

post #13 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I build these custom headers. Guaranteed to add 20 hp.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778121
post #14 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
I build these custom headers. Guaranteed to add 20 hp.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778121

LMAO thats great!

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #15 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Openly Hostile

post #16 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

this was an old post I did on my current (soon to be relocated) setup
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ght=flowmaster

Quote:
post #17 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine is in the stock location,and there it will stay since I don't rock crawl or the like.It's up out of the way,under the stock heat shield and it does just fine where it is.

post #18 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Granite Guru

What is the downside to having no muffler? Will it negatively affect the performance?
Other than passing vehicle inspection or something.....
post #19 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Granite Guru

I like the idea of moving it toward the front....isn't there some type of mod you can do in the back to have that storage compartment larger? Thought I read something about it but cannot find it?
post #20 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
What is the downside to having no muffler? Will it negatively affect the performance?
Other than passing vehicle inspection or something.....
Muffler just makes exhaust quiter. Downside to no muffler would only be louder exhaust. I do not belive there has been any negative affect. In theory, it should help performance. I have not seen any Dyno graphs in regards to this so I am not going to make empty assumptions. Basically, if there are any changes in performance it was not noticiable to me and I like to think I have a fairly sensitive butt dyno

Quote:
I like the idea of moving it toward the front....isn't there some type of mod you can do in the back to have that storage compartment larger? Thought I read something about it but cannot find it?
Wood's sells a tub enlargment kit. use the forum advanced search feature and search "enlargment" under the userid woods

how did I manage to get "sensitive butt" and "enlargment" in the same serious reply??
post #21 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks WTF
post #22 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I was wondering when the "buttdyno" would be mentioned

post #23 of 28 Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
http://www.4xfix.com/#Jeep_JK_Storag...nlargement_Kit

Quote:
post #24 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Rock God

I've got an edelbrock exhaust I'd be willing to sell ya. It just replaces the stock muffler. I've only had it on my jeep for a week. Its got a nice tone to it, its just to quiet for me. The edelbrock mufflers are a baffled muffler like the flowmasters. I'd say its close to a Flowmaster 50series in sound. I just got a hushpower II muffler that I'm gonna put on it now.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #25 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar196 View Post
Ok so I need your opinions. I'm looking to replace my factory muffler/cat back and I'm curious what you have gone with and liked or disliked. My local muffler guy who knows his jeeps said he put a Gibson on his daughters jk and it sounded terrible. I know this isn't a huge cost investment but I'm looking to make the right choice. Thanks in advance
Went custom, ditched the two "after-C02" CATS, used the stock exhaust piping up to pre-axle where we threw in a DynoMax turbo muffler and simple turn down just aft of the axle, sounds great, get a lot of questions and compliments on "what exhaust I have". I wouldn't waste my money on some fancy catback on these little engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode