does this tire carrier exist yet? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question does this tire carrier exist yet?

is there a tire carrier for the JK similar to the GenRight Boulder for the TJ?

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=RTC3X40

At 26 I have already had one pretty good back injury and I like the idea of not having to lift and position 150lbs of tire/wheel onto a swing out carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Rock God

smuggler bumper
post #3 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

seen it, too bulky, going to have an extra 20 gallon tank underneath and i dont want the full width wrap around. gotta watch my figure, cant have too much junk in the trunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm not even sure if they make them anymore, but River Raider Offroad had one.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #5 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

that is what i am looking for, sadly it is no longer on their site. may just have to ask my local shop to fab one(no welder skills here) or graft a TJ one onto a JK bumper
post #6 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 AM
JKO Addict!

The reason no one makes this is because the JK has SIGNIFICANTLY more body flex than the TJ does. There would need to be just too much play to allow for the difference in flex between the body and frame.

Your best option would be to get an HD Customs swing DOWN tire carrier but they are currently on hiatus. You may be able to find some used ones though. I think this one might still be available:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66738
post #7 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I plan on having a full cage tied into the frame, wouldn't this negate the difference in flex?
post #8 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Garage

Tell me why you would want a drop down spare vs a swing away setup?

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojin View Post
I plan on having a full cage tied into the frame, wouldn't this negate the difference in flex?
The issue is the body mounts and how much difference in flex they allow. If you are going to have a cage tied into the frame, I would make sure there is ample room for the body to flex around it.

Unless you plan to solid mount the body to the frame and be the guinea pig for what that will do to your JK, you will always have an issue between the different amounts of flex.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Wasn't Poison Spyder testing their swingdown tire carrier on their JK?

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
yeah and I think they stopped because of what they saw during testing. Please correct me if I am wrong
post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
yeah and I think they stopped because of what they saw during testing. Please correct me if I am wrong
That's right Alasha - it was bending the rear corners.

post #13 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Good to know. I was almost tempted to grab their TJ carrier and fab it to work with my JK. Ended up with the Genright carrier.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Granite Guru

I'd imagine it's nicer because you've got a greater likelihood of sliding off ledges instead of hanging up and torquing the spare tire. At least thats why I built one for my YJ. Glad I read this post so I didn't build one for my JK. Too bad, I like that style too.

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
post #15 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
More like ripping the PSC corner armor in into two pieces.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #16 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFR2212 View Post
I'd imagine it's nicer because you've got a greater likelihood of sliding off ledges instead of hanging up and torquing the spare tire. At least thats why I built one for my YJ. Glad I read this post so I didn't build one for my JK. Too bad, I like that style too.
There are swing away ones that have the same caged design feature and still allow access to the rear without lowering a 100+ pound tire to the ground every time and then have to lift it back up.. I have just never understood this design as a practical solution.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 19 Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Rock God

I believe the River Raider guys can fab you one. It ties to mounts they weld to their crusher corners. Check their Sledgehammer build for pics of the carrier and corners.

post #18 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Wheeler

Why dont you just get one like the psc and instead of attaching the other two mounting points to the corner armor, instead, just weld those two points to the rear bumper as well... I have considered doing this. Yes, you would have to cut the existing arms off and relocate them... shouldn't be too much of a problem.

To clarify, yes, all four attachment points would be on the rear bumper, (2 ,on, say the top or side of the bumper, and the other two in the regular position) It would have to be a thicker bumper though, but I dont see why that wouldn't work.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
There are swing away ones that have the same caged design feature and still allow access to the rear without lowering a 100+ pound tire to the ground every time and then have to lift it back up.. I have just never understood this design as a practical solution.
While that's true, the swing aways you mention (and on your Jeep) transfer 100% of that weight to the body/armor mounts. If you drop off a ledge and it catches on the tire, that's all in the body or armor. They look great, are super functional and I do like them.

However, with the older YJ/TJ style, it'll transfer the load to the bumper(and frame) and body/armor. Also I'd believe the load to be less, as there is no drop off a ledge from the bumper to tire (shock load), but a glide from the bumper to tire carrier.

I'm no engineer. But I'd run one of two things. Tire in the jeep and no hang over the bumper or a GenRight YJ/TJ style carrier to let the rear end slide over ledges.

I've seen several jeeps run a setup in the hitch mount that is a square tube that sticks out to slide off rocks and deflects contact from the tire. I think it works, but it's not what I want on my Jeep.

You're right, you're picking up a heavy spare and this style tips down in front of the tailgate and is in the way. On my 2dr I don't need that much access to the 'cargo' area. I'm glad I read this thread about flex issues. I'd have built my own carrier but seeing this, I don't know that I will.

Not the best photo, but my YJ has metalcloak corners and i built this carrier on to whatever tube bumper was on there when i bought the jeep. I haven't completely loaded the rear end of the Jeep on the carrier, but it's plenty strong (and heavy.)

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R

Last edited by RFR2212; 08-17-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode