downshiftin auto wtf? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy downshiftin auto wtf?

Does anyone have this prob................ I B drivin bout 60 on the paved road (highway) with cruz contrl on and if I start up a small incline or for gods sakes a overpass in the near future the tranny downshifts and up go the revvs. Maybe its just this gutless v6. Coments please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeproper View Post
Maybe its just this gutless v6. Coments please!
that would be the answer
if you have bigger tires, regearing will help
but short of a supercharger or better yet a hemi, not much else to be done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

hey venom...............I put some 33x12.50 hankook MTs 2" lift. 373s limited slip.........How expensive is regearing and what ratio should i go 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Granite Guru

Generally regearing runs about $1200 parts and labor. And what ratio to get depends on how big you plan on going with your tires. If you don't plan on going any bigger than 33s for a while a better option would be a Hypertech programmer, adds a bit of HP and you can program it to the correct tire size. If you haven't adjusted your speedo, with 33s, you're currently off and that could impact the shift points.

Another option could be the new Superchips Flashpac, as it adds a touch of HP too.

For a couple hundred bucks it should give you just enough of a boost to even out your 33s. I ran 33s for several thousand miles before going to 37s and with the Hypertech, found that it drove very nicely (auto here too). It wasn't until I went to 37s that I suffered from the downshifting. When I had everything done to my JK, gears were on backorder then and I got to drive it for 3 weeks with 4.10s, 37s, new bumpers, etc. and it was a dog.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
that would be the answer
if you have bigger tires, regearing will help
but short of a supercharger or better yet a hemi, not much else to be done
X2 on that statement

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #6 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
hey venom...............I put some 33x12.50 hankook MTs 2" lift. 373s limited slip.........How expensive is regearing and what ratio should i go 2?
3.73s explain the problem, my rubi with 4.10s and 32"s from the factory didnt like west texas hills and overdrive.

Like has already been said, your looking at $1200-$1500 to regear (~$500-600 for gears and install kits and about the same for labor), so figure how big of tire you're gonna be eventually running and just do it once.
If you're shooting for 35"s figure on 5.13s, 37"s or more, I'd look at 5.13 or even 5.38s.
If youre gonna stick with 33"s, then 4.10s out of a rubi or or 4.88s

Personally I'm running 35"s with 5.13s and kinda wish I had gone with 5.38's.
If you want a set of 4.10s, let me know and I'll sell ya my factory gears cheap.

A programmer will help out with a couple of HP and recalibrate your speedo for the tires and reset your shift points for the bigger tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Does anyone have this prob................ I B drivin bout 60 on the paved road (highway) with cruz contrl on and if I start up a small incline or for gods sakes a overpass in the near future the tranny downshifts and up go the revvs. Maybe its just this gutless v6. Coments please!
Yep mine does the same. First thing I do when I start it is take it out of OD.I only use it going down hill, its not worth a crap.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks

Welcom to the world of automatics. LOL

Thats why i wont buy a vehicle with options. (power win/locks ,cruise) To me they Arnt worth the $. I like the bare bones vehicles . Less to break! MY wife on the other hand has to have all the finer things in life. (power every thing and she has a sky slider roof in her liberty)

My work van has cruise and so did her kia and now her liberty. Every slight incline damn automatics shift of out gear. It is nice having a manual as to where I control the shifts!

Id just bought a bare X with 3.73's and have been adding mods as i go. I must say ading the factory front tow hooks was a SOB with having to cut on the front bumper.
post #9 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Many times people mistake the torque converter unlocking for an actual transmission shift,and that is what they are supposed to do.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #10 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Wheeler

No it's down shifting.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

The larger tires and loss of power is part of it.

Keep in mind also, the larger tires will throw off your speedometer. The change in tire size and speedometer reading will throw off the shifting points.

I think the shif points being off is the biggest cause of your complaint. well, that and the loss of power frm the tires
post #12 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

I would agree His larger tires will certainly add to it, mine are stock 32's and Ive complained about it from day one.The OD is useless in a area were there is any up hill terrain.imo

i
post #13 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

mine does it too...

i have a 2 1/2 bb lift, 1 inch body lift, and 34's

I have 4.10 gears currently

I'm fed up with it... i haven't regeared it, but looks like i have to. I'm currently using this downshifting as an excuse to trade it in, but the wife isn't digging it. She wants a new car first
post #14 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I live in the mountains of sw Oregon,using OD locally just doesn't get it at all.That is true on any of my past vehicles with the exception of the 06 libby crd we had.There just isn't any argument against the torque of a diesel.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #15 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Alec W

These threads always make me laugh. Around these parts you are happy when you donít drop down to 2nd and 4rd gear when climbing the mountain passes

If you want the power to stay in overdrive best bet is to sell the Jeep
post #16 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
These threads always make me laugh. Around these parts you are happy when you donít drop down to 2nd and 4rd gear when climbing the mountain passes

I've already planted the seed to sell my jeep! moo-ha-ha-ha-ha...
post #17 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you live in an area that makes your auto trans constantly down shift,you would never get it into 5th or 6th gear if you had a manual.Case in point: my last truck,an 07 chevy colorado Z-71 4x4 with the ecotec engine and 5 sp manual trans never saw 5th gear around here.It just wasn't gonna happen,and shifting between 3rd and 4th all the time got old quick.That was my last manual trans for the rest of my life.

post #18 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post

Yeah, although mine did great with OD off and cruse control from here to Glenwood Springs and back recently. I just let the jeep do what it wanted to by itself and was very pleased.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

venom...I aint sure what I'm gonna do yet as far as tire size, but I appreciate the offer on the 410s.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Granite Guru

I had the same behavior during the short time I had 4.10s with 35s. The hills made driving almsot unbearable. The 5.13 gears have been perfect for me.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #21 of 22 Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You have a under powered mini van motor like the rest of us.
post #22 of 22 Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

i have the same delma but i look at it this way, we are driving a 4X8 sheet of wood and any kind-of wind and hill combo this is going to happen, I'm in ILL darn near flat and on windy days the posted speed is 65 and i have to go around 58-62 this keeps it from kicking down but with non windy days 65-72 no problems, also keep in mind every area is different so you need to try different driving habits or deal with it kicking down and the RPM's go to 3500

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode