SUpercharger owners read.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

SUpercharger owners read....

I am thinking about adding a S/C to my JK but want to know how much you think it helps? Also how does it act on the trails?

I don't wanna spend the money on a V8, but I wouldn't mind some additional power.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I have an Avenger SC and it is def the best investment I have made to my Jeep (and I have spent quite a bit).

The kit adds 55% HP and 56% TQ as measured at the wheels and I know this because these are my dyno numbers below.

The Avenger uses a roots style blower which is the same type that is used by virtually EVERY factory supercharged car out there. The benefit of a roots style is that it delivers boost almost instantly and simply magnifies the stock power curve of an engine so my Jeep performs the same way off road as it does on road – freakin awesomely!

post #3 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I have an Avenger SC and it is def the best investment I have made to my Jeep (and I have spent quite a bit).

The kit adds 55% HP and 56% TQ as measured at the wheels and I know this because these are my dyno numbers below.

The Avenger uses a roots style blower which is the same type that is used by virtually EVERY factory supercharged car out there. The benefit of a roots style is that it delivers boost almost instantly and simply magnifies the stock power curve of an engine so my Jeep performs the same way off road as it does on road – freakin awesomely!

Forgot the part where you need to cut a big hole in the hood or get a new hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Does a non supercharged JK seriously only have 165 HP? WTF?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #5 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Does a non supercharged JK seriously only have 165 HP? WTF?
Everyone SC company's base numbers are different because of the type of dyno they use and the correction factor they choose to go with so its better to look at percentage gains instead of an actual number gain.

That dyno graph is 165 HP with the blower. My JK made 106 WHP stock.

Its more appealing from a marketing perspective when you can claim some huge horsepower gain. Think of it this way: Chrysler claims that the 3.8 makes 200 HP crank. With a 55% gain, my motor now cranks out 310 which is a 110 HP gain.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD View Post
Forgot the part where you need to cut a big hole in the hood or get a new hood.
I still dont understand how that is a major issue. People dont think twice when it comes to trimming the pinch seam, or cutting fenders to make a suspension set up work. I have no problem cutting a hole if its for a reason that I think will benefit the Jeep. Plus I got a pretty bad ass looking cowl covering it up.

I guess thats just me though...
post #7 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cutting a hole is not a problem.

My last toy was a 2008 dodge charger with a 426 w/ F1 blower making a ton of power. I am now onto building this jeep as a new toy and I don't want to get stuck with no power to get over or around obstacles. So I know that putting a blower is cheaper than doing a hemi swap but I am just interested in the power gains from the actual perspective of drivability. I don't care if it dyno's 5hp as long as it climbs rocks and throws mud without a problem.

Also the jeep I bought has 82k miles. Would you chance the blower with this many miles and how do these trannies hold up??

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I still dont understand how that is a major issue. People dont think twice when it comes to trimming the pinch seam, or cutting fenders to make a suspension set up work. I have no problem cutting a hole if its for a reason that I think will benefit the Jeep. Plus I got a pretty bad ass looking cowl covering it up.

I guess thats just me though...
Tell me about this hole. Any pics?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Cutting a hole was no big deal to me either. Actually my wife did it!!!!! The scoop I have on there looks like its supposed to be there and I get so many compliments on it. I tell people its just not for show and pop the hood. They are always amazed. For what its worth I was able to use the factory airbox instead of the setup it came with and hook up my AEV snorkel. It just needed some finagling. My Avenger Supercharger has 8 pounds of boost with 50% more power.
Attached Images

I'm sure I'll think of something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by O2BDrty; 08-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjk View Post
Cutting a hole is not a problem.

My last toy was a 2008 dodge charger with a 426 w/ F1 blower making a ton of power. I am now onto building this jeep as a new toy and I don't want to get stuck with no power to get over or around obstacles. So I know that putting a blower is cheaper than doing a hemi swap but I am just interested in the power gains from the actual perspective of drivability. I don't care if it dyno's 5hp as long as it climbs rocks and throws mud without a problem.

Also the jeep I bought has 82k miles. Would you chance the blower with this many miles and how do these trannies hold up??
From a drivability perspective because it uses a roots style blower, its just like driving a stock jeep but with more power. There is no sudden power surge because all the roots blower is doing is magnifying the stock power curve.

Yes it will climb rocks and throw mud without a problem (depending on the amount of mud ).

As for your second question, I think 02BDirty had over 100K miles on his when he put the blower on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
Tell me about this hole. Any pics?
The Avenger SC sits on top of the motor and needs a little extra clearance to work:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode