Headers... have you cracked any? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Have you had aftermarket headers crack on your JK?
Yep. shorty style 3 11.54%
Yep. Long tubes 0 0%
Nope. i have headers (long or short) and they are fine 7 26.92%
bacon 17 65.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-14-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig
Headers... have you cracked any?

so, its obvious that the cast manifolds split on about every engine. that said.... have any of you that have upgraded to header had them crack? cracked tube? broken weld?

if so, please explain... and whose header failed?

and for those who are compelled to participate that are still pimpin cracked manifolds.... bacon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b1pig; 08-14-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

70000+ plus miles and no cracked manifolds.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #3 of 14 Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
have any of you that have upgraded to header had them crack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanitize View Post
Exhaust manifold /= "header"

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Rock God

The JBA's on my jeep have cracked where the tubes merge. They were installed and rewelded by the previous owner. The header to downpipe flanges have also been bent to the point of not sealing anymore. Either because the hardware supplied with them was junk and the PO didn't know how to replace those or poor/cheap soft metal was used.

My buddy also has Gibson's that he has had to repair in much the same way, but I can only vote once on this.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Nope. Other than a temporary issue with heating the spark plug wires, my JBA shorty headers have been fine. (fixed that problem with some heat socks from Napa.)

That isn't saying that I wouldn't drop them in a second if I had the chance to get a set of long tubes though...
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
so, its obvious that the cast manifolds split on about every engine. that said....
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanitize View Post
I was responding to the first line in the OP

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #7 of 14 Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
so, its obvious that the cast manifolds split on about every engine. that said.... have any of you that have upgraded to header had them crack? cracked tube? broken weld?

if so, please explain... and whose header failed?

and for those who are compelled to participate that are still pimpin cracked manifolds.... bacon.
Have your headers? I recently installed the flow daddy's and am having a heck of a time getting everything to stay tight so it doesn't leak.

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #8 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

only prob i've had was the collector flange bolts backing off because they're non-locking. whpony reused the stock bolts and nuts off the manifolds with good results so far.

if you're having probs with yours contact Rusty's and tell them. i think its just a poor hardware choice. but for anyone down the line to get better results, those of us who do have issues should speak up.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #9 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru

I replaceed the bolts with some grade 8 ones and lockwashers today. Hopefully this will solve that issue.

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #10 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
only prob i've had was the collector flange bolts backing off because they're non-locking. whpony reused the stock bolts and nuts off the manifolds with good results so far.

if you're having probs with yours contact Rusty's and tell them. i think its just a poor hardware choice. but for anyone down the line to get better results, those of us who do have issues should speak up.
I had a similar problem from using the stock bolts. I was tightening them on a weekly basis until I was able to snag some grade 8 bolts. They haven't moved since.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I had a similar problem from using the stock bolts. I was tightening them on a weekly basis until I was able to snag some grade 8 bolts. They haven't moved since.
How long and thread info please? Thanks! Mine come loose all the time.

My fuel mileage has turned to shit and my exhaust note is considerably louder. I have not had an opportunity to check for cracks yet. I have tightened my bolts a few times already.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Granite Guru

My mileage went to shit too. I believe its from the exhaust leaks at the collector flange. Darn computer is trying to compensate for what the O2 sensors are telling it and it should be better when it's not leaking. I'm keeping an eye on it.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
How long and thread info please? Thanks! Mine come loose all the time.

My fuel mileage has turned to shit and my exhaust note is considerably louder. I have not had an opportunity to check for cracks yet. I have tightened my bolts a few times already.
Can't remember exactly what size bolts. I just took one off, drove the 1/2 mile to Ace hardware, and matched the same size to some new gr.8 bolts and locking flange nuts.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Rock God

For the guys with the bolts backing out; is it just the collector flange or the head flange bolts too?

I have cranked my bolts in my warped header collector flanges to the point of resealing them, but I get a continuous Cat Efficiency code.

Originally it was both banks, but now it's bank2 consistently. I can clear it, then it will come back on in roughly 30-50 miles. So either I can't get it to seal completely on the driver side, the head flange need tightened, or its cracked where I can't see it (again). Hrmph.

Maybe I should just buy new headers to start out fresh and fix the "problems" these ones have and see if my codes come back. Then get the dealer to replace the cat(s) before the 80,000 mile warranty is up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode