Amp Mounting Bracket - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Amp Mounting Bracket

So I was searching for what people do with there amps in a Jeep knowing the top will be off and I couldn't find any good ideas so when I had my seats out installing seat heaters I studied the seat and thought about a bracket that I could mount the amp upside down off the floor. My first attempt was to low and was touching the floor. So I redesigned it and it came out pretty decent. I have the passenger side done and have to finish the driver side.
You have to move the mount for the airbags but that is simple (you don't really need both bolts to hold it in place) and you need to adjust the wires a little bit so they aren't pulled to tight when the seat is move all the way forward. No really issues there.
Sorry about the crappy pics.
Forgot to add it is a 2012 Unlimited.
Attached Images

It's not Rocket Science were just splitting atoms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hollywoodparke; 08-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

Marine Grade

Ummmm not sure about where you live but here the rain (All 20 inches a year) comes hard, fast, and sideways... That amp may see a better life there than its original location but from past experience you better get some marine graded equip.

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Southern California and AZ so about half of yours.
If I have to worry about driving in that kind of rain with no top on then I would think my amp would be the least of my concerns of things getting wet with the dash fully exposed.
My main concern was keeping it off the floor where water could puddle and it is also out of site.
As for it's original position, it was in my truck and is about 6 years old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodparke View Post
Southern California and AZ so about half of yours.
If I have to worry about driving in that kind of rain with no top on then I would think my amp would be the least of my concerns of things getting wet with the dash fully exposed.
My main concern was keeping it off the floor where water could puddle and it is also out of site.
As for it's original position, it was in my truck and is about 6 years old.
Cool deal. Sorry I just realized my previous post didn't include my entire thought.

I think the location is a good idea. But for a bomb proof settup when you go to replace it, a marine grade would be good. Even the moisture from a light rain can cause issues when something is exposed in any way.

As far as the Dash in the Rain, you'd be surprised how water resisitant they make things. I've heard of guys getting near flooded out and nothing getting ruined.

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Well I'm glad to hear that about the dash. If it looks like bad rain I can always ride to motorcycle. That is water proof.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Rock God

is that an mrx-v60?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

No
MRP-F300

post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 AM

under passenger seat amp mounting bracket: diagrams and plans

As with choosing your location for mounting an amp, there are pro's and cons to every situation, owning a 2dr sahara 2012, I am pressed for space. This I decided would my priority when scouting a location for my amp (Alpine MRX-V70).

I came across this post (Thanks hollywoodparke)and decided this would be the ideal location as there is valuable space to be taken advantage of down there.

I worked on hollywoodparke's design and modified it a bit, mainly adding some bends to the bracket that basically lifts the mounting face for the amp up into the seat cavity, allowing more room in the rear footwell for feet and should you get water in the cabin it affords you just a little more room for error, just to be safe I added another inline fuse right there under the seat and mounted it to the bracket for the passenger airbag sensor (passenger seat does not seem to have an actual sensor), I would like to believe that if water where to get into the cabin that 1. the amp if high enough from the floor (about 15 cm), if it isn't 2. the fuse under the seat should be the next line of defense and if not, well that is the sacrifice I am willing to take for a neatly tucked away and out of sight amp that is not taking up valuable storage space.

I used 3mm thick aluminium as the material. I bought a 500mm X 500mm piece of aluminium, took that along wit the CAD file to my local laser-cutting and CNC guy and viola! it took less than than an hour to cut and bend.

NOTE: the bracket in the attached plans was a little too long at the front as it was rubbing on the bar that you would grab and pull up on to adjust for leg room (top of the bracket in the diagram) so I sliced off 50mm, bringing that measurement of 73mm down to 23mm.

NOTE: I recommend bolting the amp to the bracket rather than using self tapping screws, use a bit of lock-tite and cut off any excess bolts protruding from the nuts as these are more that likely to catch on some of the bars running under the seat.

Other than that the bracket fit like a glove on the on the seat rails and with this design the amp does not move with the seat, it only moves slightly when you lift the seat up and forward to get access to the rear seat.

During the install I contemplated sandwiching a 2mm rubber gasket between the amp and the bracket for two reasons, vibration isulation and GRND (-VE) isolation. I decided not to do this and let the bracket act like an additional heatsink. After the install I noticed a significant amount of static build-up, this would discharge if I touched the aluminium bracket, it is not severe at all but kinda got me thinking that I should've done the rubber gasket.

Without further stalling, please see attached dimensions for the bracket in both jpeg format and .dxf in the .zip (draftsight free CAD program).

Apologies for the measurements being in millimeters, here in South Africa we use the metric system (far superior)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip amp bracket.zip (4.9 KB, 400 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode