Help with drag link and tie rod - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help with drag link and tie rod

I'm looking to replace the drag link and if possible the ends of the tie rod where they screw into the tie rod. Has anyone done this and what parts do you recommend? I've looked at the Synergy Drag Link and full Tie Rod as well as a few other companies as well as Moog ends for the tie rod. I have gone through many threads and am thinking this could be the route I will go, what are some of your opinions or recomendations?
I am replacing these parts as I have a speed onset of wobble and after following planman's directions a few times I have found the knuckles to be wore out on the passenger side of both the drag link and tie rod. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I should note this is with a rough country 3.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires.

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Wheeler

Go with Synergy and don't look back. I've got the RK tie rod/drag link and have had a couple quality/poor engineering issues. A buddy of mine has the Synergy stuff, its easier to adjust, better set up. I should of ponied up the extra cash for the Synergy stuff.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited: A mix of Teraflex and Currie with a little Poly thrown in, on 36s.

Mo' Doors, Mo' Problems
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I just installed a Synergy tie rod this afternoon. (Bent the OEM.) Pretty straight forward install, but a bit unorthodox set up with the ends. The passenger side is Loctited and then set by a jam nut. Uses Poly's trick double adjuster that they use on their control arms & track bars. Worked well. The item is very stout and can take a lot more of a beating than the stock one. The ends are GM 1 ton units, easily obtained at NAPA, etc. I had a Poly drag link at one time but swapped it out for a Teraflex. I may put it back on, wasn't happy with the double adjuster in that application. Wouldn't stay put. Got some new ends, GM 1 Ton for the knuckle and a Moog for the pitman. The TF unit is basically a RHD stocker flipped over for high steer. Pretty wimpy compared to the Synergy, but plenty strong enough and easy to adjust, same as stock.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 05:07 AM
JKO Addict!

That end of the tie rod is pressed after it was threaded in and you can not remove it. You will need a new tie rod if that end is bad. If you can weld ruffstuff.com has a kit that uses gm 1 ton ends for $125

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

how much lift are you running? if its 4" or more, you may want to consider a draglink flip kit. I did one on mine and sure made my steering feel a lot crisper, a lot more like factory.

if you are getting a speed shake, you may need to do balljoints, i would check the lowers.

For my setup, I run the Rock Krawler HD aluminum tie rod w/ moog ends and the poly performance drag link and flip kit with a moog end and the PP end. it has worked flawlessly so far.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey thanks for the answers guys. I have replaced the ball joints with the Synergy ones about half a year ago. I did the ball joint test and had basically zero movement in them so I think they are still good. I am running a 3.5 inch lift and am going to go with my first thoughts and your guys' recommendation and replace both fully with the Synergy systems!

Thank you guys for all the info and knowledge, it's greatly appreciated!!!

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #7 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody67 View Post
Go with Synergy and don't look back. I've got the RK tie rod/drag link and have had a couple quality/poor engineering issues. A buddy of mine has the Synergy stuff, its easier to adjust, better set up. I should of ponied up the extra cash for the Synergy stuff.
What "poor engineering" and "poor quality" concerns do you have with the RK stuff?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
What "poor engineering" and "poor quality" concerns do you have with the RK stuff?
Well my first issue was the original tie rod they made, which they no longer make. Unfortunately for me, I bought it right before their redesign. The tie rod is beef, don't get me wrong. But, it's so beef, I couldn't keep tie rod ends alive. I also had one of the clamps on the drag link strip out. After some research, some TJ guys have had similar issues. These were just my experiences.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited: A mix of Teraflex and Currie with a little Poly thrown in, on 36s.

Mo' Doors, Mo' Problems
post #9 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody67 View Post
Well my first issue was the original tie rod they made, which they no longer make. Unfortunately for me, I bought it right before their redesign. The tie rod is beef, don't get me wrong. But, it's so beef, I couldn't keep tie rod ends alive. I also had one of the clamps on the drag link strip out. After some research, some TJ guys have had similar issues. These were just my experiences.
The clamps on the drag link are very easy to strip out, I'll agree on that one. I haven't had any trouble with my alum. RK tie rod of drag link however.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode