Help with lift install....UPDATE.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help with lift install....UPDATE....

So I finished installing 99% of the lift components on my Rubi today with the help of a couple friends.

At the end of the day when we put the wheels back on and set the jeep on the ground I am having height issues.

The left side is not equal to the right side....the front left is about 1 1/8 inch taller that the front right..

And the left rear is about 1 inch taller than the right rear.

I am at a loss as to what is the problem so I need some help here.

***All control arms and trac bars are installed and only hand tight***
***Sway bars are not connected***

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjk View Post
So I finished installing 99% of the lift components on my Rubi today with the help of a couple friends.

At the end of the day when we put the wheels back on and set the jeep on the ground I am having height issues.

The left side is not equal to the right side....the front left is about 1 1/8 inch taller that the front right..

And the left rear is about 1 inch taller than the right rear.

I am at a loss as to what is the problem so I need some help here.

***All control arms and trac bars are installed and only hand tight***
***Sway bars are not connected***
This may seem like a silly questions but is your gas tank full? Also are all of the spacers still on top of the coils?
post #3 of 17 Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Wheeler

could you have put a front spring in the rear or vice versa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Granite Guru

^check that but it would be pretty hard to do that lol. Check to see your front springs are seated on the perches.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk.

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #5 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Wheeler

sounds like most bases are covered...make sure springs are sitting correctly in the cup, the isolators are installed properly on the top of the spring, and there is no control arm bind... depending on the quality of the kit..the full gas tank could be an issue...but would hope not. post back when you figure it out..kinda curious myself. the FJCruiser i had was similar...some would lean, some would not. they sold shims to correct the lean, but no one could really explain it.

2012 Black JKU , 2.5 RockKrawler lift, 285/75-17 nitto terra's, Custom AtoZ sliders, AtoZ bumper with Quadratec I9500 winch..
post #6 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Granite Guru

We're your new front or rear coils the same length before install? Sometimes things happen in the manufacturing or shipping process. Might be worth checking that too.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will check the gas but I doubt that is the problem. I put the springs side by side before install and they looked identical so I don't think that is was a bad spring.

I will look into the control arm bind but none of the control arms are tight, just finger tight on the bolt at this time.

The front left spring does look like it might be off-centered at the top of the spring so I will readjust that this afternoon and see if that is the problem. I hope it is something that simple.

Any more insight would be appreciated...

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Rock God

The only thing I would suspect that would make that much difference is if one of the spring isolators were removed.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Wheeler

You've got JK Lean. Theoretically caused by the gas tank on the passenger side of the JKU.

Mine leaned 1/2" on the passenger side when stock and after my lift. Two friends of mine, one with a lift and one stock, both have it. I put a coil spacer on the that side to even it out. If you've got adjustable sway bar links, you can also extend them to help.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
You've got JK Lean. Theoretically caused by the gas tank on the passenger side of the JKU.

Mine leaned 1/2" on the passenger side when stock and after my lift. Two friends of mine, one with a lift and one stock, both have it. I put a coil spacer on the that side to even it out. If you've got adjustable sway bar links, you can also extend them to help.
So if I have alot of gas in the jeep it is going to lean to one side??? I didn't recognize it when it was sitting stock?!?

So I should put 1" spacers on the passenger side to lift it up to match?? But then when I am low on gas it is going to sit high on that side?? This doesn't make sense, it has to be something else that could cause the jeep to sit croooked.

Probably worth a good google.....(for those of you that have seen the movie Campaign)

post #11 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

Im just throwing this out there, but if your sway bar is disconnected your Jeep will lean, and will not self correct. Id try connecting the sway bar and give the Jeep a good shake and see what happens. Also did you measure acutal height differences or just "eyeball" it.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Wheeler

I'm not a believer that a full gas tank is the problem. That's just what most propose is the cause. I've never actually measured mine with a full and empty tank to compare. I've also got a dual battery setup that adds weight to the passenger side.

I put a 3/4" spacer above the front passenger coil. That seemed to level it out within a 1/4 inch... for a while. Then I lengthened the sway bar link about 1/4 - 1/2"... last time I looked, it seemed like it was leaning again. I'll need to measure again and see if I can level it. Maybe I'll check with a full and empty tank this time. It's a frustrating little problem we have.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will try to connect the sway bar links and see if that improves the stance at all.

I also don't believe that the gas tank is an issue, I think that something might be in a bind or the fact that the spring is not situated just right might make the jeep sit funny.

I am about to spend the next couple hours going over everything once again and i hope to come to a conclusion before the end of the day.

post #14 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM
JKO Addict!

RK springs should not sag at all, esp immediately following install. I think you may have mixed and match the corners where you placed the springs, ie one front spring went to the rear, etc. Check the numbers on the springs and make sure they correlate with front and rear

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #15 of 17 Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So after more time spent on adjusting things I have brought the "lean" to only about 1/2" difference. I know it is a small number but when I look at the Jeep from behind in my garage it just seems so uneven. (It does level out when I sit in the drivers seat).

Do you think I should worry about this??

I still haven't hooked up sway bars but everything else is tight. I will hook up sway bars at the end of the week, I am waiting on my Currie Antirock for the front.

post #16 of 17 Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So after much thought as to why my jeep is leaning to the passenger side I think I finally have an answer. I noticed that my rear axle isn't centered perfectly which leads to a short rear trac arm. Which in turn might mean that I have force pulling to the passenger side which could easily result in a 1/2" body lean.

Please correct me if you think I am way off before I crawl under the jeep today to readjust the rear trac arm!!!

post #17 of 17 Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Granite Guru

I'd swap the springs from left to right and see what happens. Back in my TJ days, this was actually an instruction in OME's kit if you had an imbalance such as yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode