Alignment shops - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Alignment shops

Just a curiosity quencher, when going to have an alignment after an install of an aftermarket lift kit with adjustable arms, did anyone have a problem with a shop not knowing how to work with them?

Just curious as it would seem pretty straight forward, but then again never had a jeep with anything other than Leaf springs before

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeejo View Post
Just a curiosity quencher, when going to have an alignment after an install of an aftermarket lift kit with adjustable arms, did anyone have a problem with a shop not knowing how to work with them?

Just curious as it would seem pretty straight forward, but then again never had a jeep with anything other than Leaf springs before
To be truthful I haven't had much luck with alignment shops being able to get a stock vehicle correct.

2007 Sahara Unlimited (SOLD)
2.5 Rock Krawler Max Travel/Bilstein 5100's
17x9 AEV Savegres/35" KM2's
post #3 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Rock God

Most wont want to mess with adj control arms. Even more so since its aftermarkert.

And some have had issues with arm when the jam nuts are not torqued down properly.

Best bet would be to find an offroad/speed shop since they see that chit often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedle4 View Post
Most wont want to mess with adj control arms. Even more so since its aftermarkert.

And some have had issues with arm when the jam nuts are not torqued down properly.

Best bet would be to find an offroad/speed shop since they see that chit often.
^^ This! Don't bother with your run of the mill alignment shop. They will mess your shit up. Most actually won't even want to deal with it and will feed you a b.s. line about how their machine can't handle a lifted jeep.

Greg
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Granite Guru

Ive got the lifetime alignment from firestone. They work with adjustable control arms and tie rods/drag links. They do a pretty decent job. Considering its gonna get knocked out of alignment more than once or twice a year, it's a pretty good deal
post #6 of 7 Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yep. I have had issues with 2 different ones. One wasn't comfortable with it (which is fine because he actually told me the damn truth which is rare) and the other "didn't have the special part" they needed. When I asked what part it was, the didn't give me an answer. I had to settle with 4 wheel parts.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
post #7 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thats about what I figured, Problem is around here I haven't much in the way of any 4x4 shops. I am in the Great plains... LOL Not a huge meca for offroading here. Most of the guys I see running lifts (IFS) on Brand new chevy and fords look like they slapped a lift on and hoped for the best.

Not going to be doing the lift till after christmas but better to know now where I can take it before the lift is on than wait and have to do it on the fly.

Anyone had any luck doing a home alignment? Taking the spec sheet then doing it at home? ONly problem i see is that the car is resting on the tires

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode