Best rock rails for JK?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Best rock rails for JK??

Im looking to put some sort of rock rails on my 2012 JK 2dr. I want something will also double as a side step that looks nice and sleek. Im a big fan of the body armor extreme rails but you have to actually drill them into the side of the vehicle. Im looking for something along these lines with out excess drilling! Thanks dudes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Lots of options out there, I'd suggest searching threads for rock rails n pics. If you don't want to drill that will help narrow it down. Ace rails have been a big hit and there a great price. Nice part is that you can run them in combo w rubi rails for added protection. Many goes this route for lots of protection without drilling into body.

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #3 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 PM
JKO Addict!

How do you feel about welding to the frame? Evo sliders are sexy. I like the idea of frame mounted sliders better personally.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Welcome! Help us out a bit more so we can direct you better. What's your definition of "with out excess drilling". Does that mean ANY drilling or you don't want to drill into body, but frame is ok? What do you do/plan to do with your jeep - rockcrawl, mall crawl a little of both? Ex. if you only mall crawl, maybe you'd end up being happier with a sexy looking body mounted slider that *may* not get the best reviews for bashing on the rocks...

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #5 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Ace Engineering rock sliders and love them!! They hold up very well I bashed them off a bunch of rocks and tree stumps. Absolutely no drilling just minor grinding on the the washers for the body bolts. You can deff use these as a step because they stick out just far enough to get your foot on and get in, very good for kids and short g/fs or wife. These rails are also pretty cheap compared to all the other rock sliders out there.

Thanks
Dan

post #6 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
How do you feel about welding to the frame? Evo sliders are sexy. I like the idea of frame mounted sliders better personally.
Do the weld tabs get in the way of installing aftermarket skids on these? I've yet to see a good picture of the weld points on these. As you consider all the options, make sure you keep some things in mind. Do you want a step? Some good sliders do nothing to help you get into your rig. As your Jeep heads to the sky, it reaches the point where you or your better half needs some basketball length legs to get in. Are you a fan of the Hilift jack? I've high centered a couple of times where it was great to be able to jack it up from the side to help get the heap free. Do you want a one piece or two piece design? Where do you think would be best to mount the slider? Body? Frame? Body and frame? Weld on? Bolt on? Price (quite often you'll get what you pay for)? Once you have that stuff figured out, that'll really help guide you. I've been running Shrockworks for five years now and still not thinking of replacing them with anything else. Cheers

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Ace rails. Looks good, very strong and so easy to install.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

I've personally seen an ace rail do body damage...

Lots, and lots, of body damage

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for all the help. I'm really digging the look of the body armor extreme rock rails... Any one know anything about those?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Poison Spyder Brawler Rocker. absolutely bomber!! gives you a nice step, and I have banged the crap out of mine and they take a pounding.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
JKO Addict!

ill be going with the nemesis billy rockers when the time comes.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #12 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

I echo the ACE comments; well built, easy install, excellent quality, and an unbeatable price.

As others mention they work with the factory Rubi rails too.

We have three JKs and each one is running a set. Only after considering other options for each vehicle we come back to the ACE rails.

Best of luck.
Steve

2011 Rubicon: Call of Duty - Black Ops JKU
|ACE Sliders & Fenders|XHD Bumpers|Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel|Trail Grappler 35s|Level 8 ZX|Teraflex Tire Carrier|sPOD|Smittybilt XRC10 Comp|Safari Straps|48" Hi-Lift|RIGID 50" E-series, 10" SR, D2s & Duallys|Poison Spider Mounts & Skids
Helicopter Pilot's Creed: If something hasn't happened yet, it's about to...

post #13 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Rock God

I love my Evo sliders, but if the step is important then I would consider Nemesis, Poison Spyder, and GenRight.

post #14 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Granite Guru

With enough force you can break anything, even your own finger in your a#$hole. Just saying. Nothing is unbreakable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
I've personally seen an ace rail do body damage...

Lots, and lots, of body damage
post #15 of 20 Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Shrockworks

I'm sure I'll think of something
post #16 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Wheeler

I've been running a combo of the factory rubi rails trimmed so my tires dont rub and the rugged ridge side armor for a couple years now. They have held up well and provide a good step.
Attached Images

post #17 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
With enough force you can break anything, even your own finger in your a#$hole. Just saying. Nothing is unbreakable.
Huh? That almost deserves another thread. Guess the question is was it your thumb, pointer or pointer and middle finger you broke in your own a#$hole? Oh shit, please don't tell us it was your fist
post #18 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

As many have said, it really depends on what you are going to use it for. If you don't plan on doing any hardcore offroading and only plan on using it as a step, anything will do. If you do plan on hardcore offroading then you want to get the heaviest rails you can get. I don't recommendt anything that mounts to the body directly. Even the so called body armor really doesn't do much to protect against a heavy hit.

I had a set of body mount sliders (I'll leave the brand out, sorry, but they were a big player) and sustained very heavy body damage from a climb up a shelf when doing Tabasco Twister (extreme hardcore) in Las Cruces, New Mexico. The only body mounted sliders I think would hold up to heavy use is Nemesis Billy Rockers. Even though they are aluminum, they are a three piece design and are built to take some serious abuse. Rob is a great guy and if you had question about the build quality and theroy behind them he can help you understand. Plus they make a great step.

The other way to go is frame mounted which will hang down a bit but keeps all your impact to the frame and off the body. Evo makes a super heavy duty frame mount that looks bad ass and is welded in place. LOD makes a bolt on that had been proven on some pretty hard trails.

So whatever you do, just do it based on how you will use your rig. Read lots of forums about the ones you like so you can get a good idea of how they actually perform in the real world. Nothing can be worse than taking your DD out on a trail and tweaking the body after buying the cheapest set you can get. Steer clear of Body Armor, Smittybuilt, Warrior, etc. They basically are for mall crawlers and you will get body damage and you will be pissed.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BDrty View Post
Shrockworks
any photos?
post #20 of 20 Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by just eric View Post
any photos?
Try the website. That would be your best bet.

I'm sure I'll think of something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode