New Mopar half-door uppers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New Mopar half-door uppers?

Are these new Mopar uppers?

Anyone have these? Any comments about this style.

I need a drivers upper and am thinking about this style - I have always had the full window zip style.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Granite Guru

My question is, will they leak just as bad?

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Where is that picture from??? I don't like it ...

Mine don't leak .... Unless I'm blasting it with a pressure washer at the car wash.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

WTF is the point of that - a free blind spot just big enough to hide a motorcycle at an intersection? Dumb.

My '12, which delivered in December, has regular uppers.

As for leaking....maybe I got the one in a million, and maybe I'm a dumbass, but I've run my Jeep with half doors through a car wash. Literally a few drops of water came through the end of the window zippers, and only in the back. It's damn near completely water tight.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Vin
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
WTF is the point of that - a free blind spot just big enough to hide a motorcycle at an intersection? Dumb.

My '12, which delivered in December, has regular uppers.

As for leaking....maybe I got the one in a million, and maybe I'm a dumbass, but I've run my Jeep with half doors through a car wash. Literally a few drops of water came through the end of the window zippers, and only in the back. It's damn near completely water tight.
If you unzip the window and put it down 1) the front corner gets sandwiched between the door an the dash, which may ruin the window eventually and 2) it covers the door latch, so it's more difficult to open the door.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If you unzip the window and put it down 1) the front corner gets sandwiched between the door an the dash, which may ruin the window eventually and 2) it covers the door latch, so it's more difficult to open the door.
Yup! Both of mine are quite scratched up in that specific location due to that. BUT I wouldn't ever pick that new style over what I have now. It would annoy me to have window that couldn't come down, plus I think the blind spot would drive me nuts.

If they want to make something new, make some upper Sliders like they have for every other wrangler model!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Vin
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Yup! Both of mine are quite scratched up in that specific location due to that. BUT I wouldn't ever pick that new style over what I have now. It would annoy me to have window that couldn't come down, plus I think the blind spot would drive me nuts.

If they want to make something new, make some upper Sliders like they have for every other wrangler model!!!
I agree. I couldn't believe the first time i put the windows down and closed the door. Then trying to open the door, I wondered what engineer was hung over when they put this together.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Admittedly I never unzip my windows and fold them in. If its warm enough for that I pull the whole upper, slide it into my beach towel sleeve so it doesn't get scratched, and throw it in the cargo area. With a security deck you don't have to worry about them getting lifted.

Half doors require a whole set of kit....a jacket, hat, gloves, etc. It's definitely a different animal than full doors and a hard top.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Where is that picture from??? I don't like it ...

Mine don't leak .... Unless I'm blasting it with a pressure washer at the car wash.
The picture is from Quadratec - I need a drivers side replacement and this new design was cheaper than the normal style. In fact a lot cheaper since I can't find a good price on buying just one upper.

But, I agree with the comments above and just broke down and ordered a pair of the full window ones. I have a Poison Spyder trail cage and the door/dash clearance for when the window is down is really tight!

Thanks for the comments!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

That pic is god awful ugly. Glad you didn't make the mistake of buying those.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode