Tow Rigs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tow Rigs

What "older" model trucks would make a good tow rig. Needs to of coarse tow my jeep (almost 6000 pounds) and a trailer. Post up!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll think of something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Wheeler

3/4-1 ton dodge with cummins. How much you looking to spend?
post #3 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Our family uses a 7.3L F250. Works just fine.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whats the budget?
post #5 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Granite Guru

I just bought an 01 f350 extended cab long box 7.3 psd. Only got the one ton cause we'll have a camper on back also. Otherwise an f250 is plenty fine.

For you to understand cost, mine has 170k with a book of service records, new tires etc. and I paid 12k for it.
post #6 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What's the general consensus on the Triton V10 in the Ford trucks. I've got a line on an '01 F350 dually V10. Wondering if it's worth messing with. If I bought it, it'd be to pull my JK on a gooseneck so I'd be lookin' at about a 10k load, I'd guess.

OP, sorry for the hijack, but this will get you some more info hopefullyl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #7 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
What's the general consensus on the Triton V10 in the Ford trucks. I've got a line on an '01 F350 dually V10. Wondering if it's worth messing with. If I bought it, it'd be to pull my JK on a gooseneck so I'd be lookin' at about a 10k load, I'd guess.

My neighbor and good buddy has an f350 srw and he tows his jku on a trailer with a fully loaded camper on the bed and it does great. Gets about 8mpgs but drives as fast as he wants to go. Biggest thing to look for is the door tag to see what gears it has. If it doesn't have the 4.30 gears the tow capacity drops way off.
post #8 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #9 of 111 Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

Those V-10 pop head gaskets like Fat Mike pops pills.

Pre 6.0 Fords or pre 07.5 cummins.

I have a 2006 dodge. Love it. 50k on it and 35k is towing 10k or so, sometimes 14k. only issue is the trannys in the dodges, i put a new TC in it and a shift kit.

All brands have their weak points. But everything is fixable. Buy a used truck that has all the aftermarket parts to fix the engineers shortcomings and you're good.

Ford: the "bulletproof" fix $6500-8500.
Dodge: trans $2000-5500
Chevy: injectors. if they are still good - AirDog Fuel filter $600 filter and injectors: $4000-$8000

From another thread:
now is a good time to get a used diesel, all the junk stuff has been figured out. 6.0's need the bulletproof diesel fix (6800 to fix it right, and pay someone) there is a shop in Hemet, Ca that does 15 a week it seems like.

Chevys and dodges both suffer from injector issues which can both be resolved by adding an AirDog or Fass fuel filter/ pump, that actually filters down to the 2 micron spec that Bosch demands, where the factory filters only filter to 7 microns.

I went with a new dodge (in 2006) knowing that I can get a million miles out of the cummins and expecting to add a race transmission down the line to keep up with the engine mods I did and the 12000 pound trailer that the truck can pull 70 mph up any hill.

If I had it to do over again, I might have gone with the Chevy knowing the injector issue was just a filtration issue. But they cost alike 10 grand more than dodge!

Weigh your options, and know that at a minimum add a fuel filter and oil bypass filter and if it's a ford, a coolant filter too.

check this thread:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65876
post #10 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

i know a lot of guys that love theirs. i've heard some grumblings here and there but for the most part they all seem pretty happy.

AND they're f'ing cheap!

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #11 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 05:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, the price factor is what has me considering it. Well, that and the fact that it has been sitting on this lot for like 6 months.

Quote:

post #12 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i think the v10's are hit and miss, my in laws have one in there mototr home and its runs fine, they take it all over, gets like 9mpg, a frind has one in a pickup he tows a rack truck with and its got over 250k miles on it, the truck is literally falling apart around the motor. id say if your only towing with it go for diesel, if your gonna drive it not towing alot go for gas, the upkeep on a diesel is alot more than a gas truck

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #13 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Garage

7.3 Ford... stay away from the 6.0 like its got da aids... cause it does.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #14 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Rock God

here is another good towing thread...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71816

here is our setup. so far we have towed the wrangler three times with it and havnt had any issues, knock on wood. the 5.7 hemi gets around 10mpg or so, down to 8ish if you get in a hilly area like we do going from s/e texas north towards longview.

we bought the grand cherokee earlier this year to suit the wifes needs, as well as to tow the wrangler. when we pay the wrangler off (whenever that is) the plan is the wife gets the 4 door wrangler (her toy vehicle), i get a 2 door, and HOPEFULLY ill be in a situation where i can get a ford diesel and goosneck to tow both.
post #15 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow, how does the GC do with that setup? Do you run it in 3rd gear all the time or can you use either of the overdrives?

Quote:

post #16 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Wow, how does the GC do with that setup? Do you run it in 3rd gear all the time or can you use either of the overdrives?
I towed my junk with my 2011 GC with the Hemi before I traded it.. It did "ok" as long as the trailer was loaded correctly. If not the tail liked to wag the dog a bit. It had plenty of power to tow, and yeah the MPG was pretty bad. I wouldn't buy one as a tow rig, but it can certainly do the job when necessary.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Rock God

ya, it does well for our needs. it fits the bill for the wife for her dd as well as our occasional tow setup.

i do have an equalization bar and anti-sway bar setup as well and my trailer has trailer brakes. i wouldnt run this setup if i were missing any of that equipment.

overall im pleased with how the GC does. it usually stays in 5th gear (not OD) doing between 65 and 70 on a flat stretch. i can usually shift into 4th before a hill and keep speed and not need to go into 3rd, unless its a very steep hill.

like i said, eventually im hoping i can get into a diesel, but for now the hemi GC will have to suffice.
post #18 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Garage

I used to use an 07 Super Cab Tundra with the big motor..

Could have used some helper springs in the rear, but damn this thing had some power. MPG sucked, but it was like towing my junk with a Ferrari, thats how fast it could get up to speed and pass. Very comfortable and towed awesome except for the MPG. I still love that truck.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #19 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
ya, it does well for our needs. it fits the bill for the wife for her dd as well as our occasional tow setup.

i do have an equalization bar and anti-sway bar setup as well and my trailer has trailer brakes. i wouldnt run this setup if i were missing any of that equipment.

overall im pleased with how the GC does. it usually stays in 5th gear (not OD) doing between 65 and 70 on a flat stretch. i can usually shift into 4th before a hill and keep speed and not need to go into 3rd, unless its a very steep hill.

like i said, eventually im hoping i can get into a diesel, but for now the hemi GC will have to suffice.
What transmission do you have in the GC that has a 5th gear that's NOT an OD? The 545RFE has 2 overdrives of .75:1 and .67:1, IIRC. That puts 3rd at 1:1 which is the "Drive" gear. Are you saying that the GC will pull that setup normally in its tallest gear and rarely have to use the "Drive" gear?

Quote:

post #20 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Garage

The current tow pig is neither fast or super comfortable.. but it can tow, and not stop for up to 1000 miles..

ROCO 4x4 uses a 2002 F350 4x4 with the 7.3 PSD and if you can find a clean one, they are for the money one of the most competent tow rigs on the road.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #21 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If I ever find a 2003 Crew Cab 4x4 F350 with the 7.3L PSD in it at a decent price, then I'm gonna be jumpin' on that shit. Can you say Holy Grail?

Quote:

post #22 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

I agree with the last 2 posts. Thats why when I saw my rig was as clean as it is with 170k and 4x4(01 f350 psd) for only 12k and a book of service records, I bought it two days after I test drove it. These 7.3's sell at a steep premium up here. I'm glad this was private party
post #23 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I've never heard of the V-10 blowing head gaskets. Not sure where the guy below heard that. The 6.0 Ford diesels blow head gaskets (6-7 grand to build this motor as reliable.) Some of the V-10's have issues with over tightened spark plugs that blow out due to threads getting ruined. If you follow the specs, they're okay. They are a motor that loves RPM's, beyond what most people are comfortable at. At 4k, it's pulling great. I had an 02 350 with the V10. TONS of the E450 motorhomes on the road run the v10. Keep an eye out and you'll start to notice that it's a heavily used motor on the road.

I went back to a diesel, but that truck got the job done. If you are not going to drive the truck alot, gas will be fine, whether a Ford v10 or chevy with a 6.0/8.1 motor. 8.1 will get you an Allison trans though.

If you are going to drive it alot and tow alot, go diesel. I've got an 06 Dodge 2500 and a 96 Dodge 2500. Both cummins. 06 is auto, 96 is manual. Both have some tuning and both tow my Jeep comfortably. But, be realistic. People that inflate Dodge milage are either reading the mpg on the display or their ego is typing. My 96 i can get right around 20mpg empty on the road at 60-70, hand calculated. My 06 has more power and the auto and the best i see is 18 on the road. The 06 @ 75mph with a combined load of gear/jeep/me scales at 14-15k and I see 10-11 through Nebraska hauling out west. I had an 02 PSD with the same load got maybe 1mpg better, but was less powerful.

Want to know more? Ask away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BDrty View Post
What "older" model trucks would make a good tow rig. Needs to of coarse tow my jeep (almost 6000 pounds) and a trailer. Post up!!!!!!!!!!
We need a $$ as to what you want to spend to give you a worthwhile opinion. Without a price, go get a new dodge 5500 Laramie crew cab!

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
post #24 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFR2212 View Post
Without a price, go get a new dodge 5500 Laramie crew cab!
Excellent post other than that.

I'd opt for a Ford F450 King Ranch!

Quote:

post #25 of 111 Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Excellent post other than that.

I'd opt for a Ford F450 King Ranch!
Hey, he didn't give a price... So... I mentioned what'd I'd buy

'96 Dodge 2500 12v
'15 JKU-R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode