Help with lift install.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help with lift install....

So I am not the best mechanic but I am attempting to install a RK 3.5 max travel kit on my JKUR. I have been working on the front last weekend and got everything installed and then realized I had forgot to install the bumpstops before the springs. So this coming weekend I will be taking it all apart again to get the bumpstops in place. Here is where the questions begin...

After installing the front suspension I realized that the Toe Angle is WAY off on the right wheels vs the left wheel. Also the steering wheel is upside down when the wheels are pointed straight, and I seem to have lost considerable turning radius. Can some of the more experienced mechanics give me a hand as to what went wrong and how I can fix it??

(I talked to Jason at Krawl Off Road today and he said that I shouldn't have tightened the bolts all the way until I had vehicle weight on the jeep. Could this cause a problem??)

Thanks

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Black

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

You need to get an alignment.

EDIT: While they are doing that, have them check everything out. Wouldn't hurt.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
post #3 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the input, I still have to install the rear this coming weekend then I will take it for an alignment. Will getting it aligned correct all of the geometry that is off??

(I know these are newb questions but I am learning; mainly because I want to know what is broke and how to fix it if I am in the woods or mountains and something goes wrong! Next on the list is to learn how to weld! HAHA)

RK 3.5 Max Travel:Fox Shocks:Fox Front Steering Stabilizer:Ace Front Stubby w/ Stinger:Ace Tubular Fenders:Ace Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier:Level 8 ZX Wheels:37-12.5-17 MTR-Kevlar:Engo 9K Winch:Currie Anti-Rock:Synthetic Winch Rope:6 panel sPOD:Rigid Lights:AEV Procal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

After I installed my 2.5 max travel, my alignment was WAY off. Got it fixed and it has worked fine ever since. If you ever second guess yourself on something, go get it inspected from someone you trust. And we all were n00bz at some point in life. At least you are trying. Welding is a great trade to learn. I'm trying to teach myself now. Def something I think everyone needs to learn.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."

Last edited by airmech777; 08-07-2012 at 07:48 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!

The toe angle is way off on the right side? What exactly do you mean by that?

The steering wheel is adjusted very easily by loosening the 2 bolts on the draglink (bar above tie rod that runs at an angle) and turning the collar until the steering wheel is straight. Usually you can get it pretty close, but with ESP activated, close generally wont cut it. You should either de-activate ESP (save you a lot of headache) and center it, or bring it in to get aligned at a shop.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Where are you located? Perhaps there's a member local to you who could swing by and take a look at it to help you out.

More than likely, you need to adjust your steering draglink. It should correct both your steering wheel position and your limited turning.

Here's a link that should help you go through the front end to at least get it closer to good before having the pros look at it (forgive the source- it was a quick search):

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
post #7 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah you are going to want to re-center that steering wheel so the ESP system doesn't go bezerk on you!

Do you have an AEV ProCal?

That project link Freshmeat posted is good info!

Oh, and yes you do want the full weight of the Jeep on the ground when you make all of your final torque settings.

Last edited by OH9JK; 08-08-2012 at 04:19 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Wheeler

Did the kit come with an adjustable track bar? If so adjust that first (center the axel under the jeep at ride height). Then adjust the drag link so your steering wheel is centered correctly. You might want to check the pinion angle too. I have mine set at around 2* and have no problems.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

you can get the alignment pretty darn straight yourself with a little patience and a friend. start everything by making sure your axle is centered. RockKrawler is pretty darn good at providing a proper track bar measurment, at least they were with my kits.

1.turn the steering wheel all the way driver then back to center and then all the way passenger and back to center. Count the number of turns, make sure they are even in both directions and set the wheel level in the middle.

2.Adjust your drag link to get the wheels as straight as possible to match the wheel

3. Next, set your toe angle. pick a mark on the tires, best is the mold seam down the middle. With the wheels straight, measure the distance on the front. Then measure the distance on the back.
The difference should be 1/8" longer in the back, giving you just a bit of toe in. adjust as needed with the tie rod.

4. after your all done, tighten everything down and take her for a spin to see how you do.

If it's still off a bit just repeat until it's straight and you are happy

I would still get a professional alignment from a reputable shop, but that should get you through a day or so until you can get there.

Also, after about a week of driving, be sure to go back through and recheck / tighten every bolt.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Rock God

First of all, unless you replaced or adjusted the tie rod, your toe should not have changed at all. The tie rod is the round piece of metal that runs from one wheel to the other wheel. As long as you didn't touch that, you should be fine.

The steering wheel needs to be centered. If the tires will not turn all the way to the left then you need to shorten the drag link. If it will not turn all the way to the right, then you need to lengthen the drag link. The drag link is the round piece of metal that runs from the steering box to the passenger side tire.

The 3.5" max tavel comes with a new drag link and the high steer kit. Did you drill a hole to install the insert into the knuckle? Did you install the new drag link? Take a picture of your set up so we can see what you did. The rear of the vehicle is a much easier install than the front.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmech777 View Post
After I installed my 2.5 max travel, my alignment was WAY off. Got it fixed and it has worked fine ever since. If you ever second guess yourself on something, go get it inspected from someone you trust. And we all were n00bz at some point in life. At least you are trying. Welding is a great trade to learn. I'm trying to teach myself now. Def something I think everyone needs to learn.
Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully I will be able to get it pretty close before I have to take it in for an alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
The toe angle is way off on the right side? What exactly do you mean by that?

The steering wheel is adjusted very easily by loosening the 2 bolts on the draglink (bar above tie rod that runs at an angle) and turning the collar until the steering wheel is straight. Usually you can get it pretty close, but with ESP activated, close generally wont cut it. You should either de-activate ESP (save you a lot of headache) and center it, or bring it in to get aligned at a shop.
I mean that if you look at the front of the jeep with the wheels on the ground the passenger side front wheel is kicked out when the driverside wheel is straight. I am talking very minor amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat View Post
Where are you located? Perhaps there's a member local to you who could swing by and take a look at it to help you out.

More than likely, you need to adjust your steering draglink. It should correct both your steering wheel position and your limited turning.

Here's a link that should help you go through the front end to at least get it closer to good before having the pros look at it (forgive the source- it was a quick search):

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
I am located in Hattiesburg, MS. Thanks for the link to front end alignment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
Yeah you are going to want to re-center that steering wheel so the ESP system doesn't go bezerk on you!

Do you have an AEV ProCal?

That project link Freshmeat posted is good info!

Oh, and yes you do want the full weight of the Jeep on the ground when you make all of your final torque settings.
I don't have an AEV Procal but will be ordering one very soon. I had one for my last jeep and really liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Did the kit come with an adjustable track bar? If so adjust that first (center the axel under the jeep at ride height). Then adjust the drag link so your steering wheel is centered correctly. You might want to check the pinion angle too. I have mine set at around 2* and have no problems.
Thanks for the advice! I will check pinion angle next opportunity to get in the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
you can get the alignment pretty darn straight yourself with a little patience and a friend. start everything by making sure your axle is centered. RockKrawler is pretty darn good at providing a proper track bar measurment, at least they were with my kits.

1.turn the steering wheel all the way driver then back to center and then all the way passenger and back to center. Count the number of turns, make sure they are even in both directions and set the wheel level in the middle.

2.Adjust your drag link to get the wheels as straight as possible to match the wheel

3. Next, set your toe angle. pick a mark on the tires, best is the mold seam down the middle. With the wheels straight, measure the distance on the front. Then measure the distance on the back.
The difference should be 1/8" longer in the back, giving you just a bit of toe in. adjust as needed with the tie rod.

4. after your all done, tighten everything down and take her for a spin to see how you do.

If it's still off a bit just repeat until it's straight and you are happy

I would still get a professional alignment from a reputable shop, but that should get you through a day or so until you can get there.

Also, after about a week of driving, be sure to go back through and recheck / tighten every bolt.
I have 2 friends that are going to come help me so hopefully we will be able to run through this checklist and straighten every thing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
First of all, unless you replaced or adjusted the tie rod, your toe should not have changed at all. The tie rod is the round piece of metal that runs from one wheel to the other wheel. As long as you didn't touch that, you should be fine.

The steering wheel needs to be centered. If the tires will not turn all the way to the left then you need to shorten the drag link. If it will not turn all the way to the right, then you need to lengthen the drag link. The drag link is the round piece of metal that runs from the steering box to the passenger side tire.

The 3.5" max tavel comes with a new drag link and the high steer kit. Did you drill a hole to install the insert into the knuckle? Did you install the new drag link? Take a picture of your set up so we can see what you did. The rear of the vehicle is a much easier install than the front.
I will be back under the Jeep this weekend with some friends to help and I will take a picture of what is going on and try to post it back here for more help. I didn't mess with the tie rod, just replaced trac bar, front upper/lower control arms, springs, shocks, sway bar links. I do have the HD Drag link but it is not installed yet; that is the only hardware not installed on the front.

Last edited by 1badjk; 08-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Rock God

When you install the new drag link, That should get your steering wheel close to being centered. You will need to adjust it a little I am sure

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode