Cell Phone Booster <-- Where? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cell Phone Booster <-- Where?

I got a wilson cell phone booster, and it is magnetic and needs a ground plane to reflect off of for signal, however the top of my JK above is fiberglass correct?

So where can I mount this? I don't want to put it on the hood, and I really can't find any more metal to mount to.

Here is what I need to mount, do you have suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

There is some flat metal on the inside of the tailgate.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Okay thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

if you want it outside...hood or cowl on a stock rig. or a bumper if you have aftermarket bumpers.

thats all i could think of.

the little "bump" on the tailgate is interesting.... but if you mount that antenna on the top of the hump, its gonna hit the rear glass when you close the gate.

if the mount is small enough, you might be able to route it through the vent slots on the cowl. its either that, or you'll have to drill a hole.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Rock God

how about fabbing a small bracket off one of you windshield light mounts? might be close enough to use the hood as the metal plane and would be a clean install up against the A-pillar. Similar theory needed for CB antennas, they work better when reflected off a ground plane, something Wranglers don't have. Ideal spot for any of these antennas is the center of a metal roof.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Wheeler

Epoxy a piece of metal to the underside of your top. That should give you a spot to use your magnetic base on the highest place possible.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

thats actually thinking outside the box....

i wonder... has any of the hams tried something similar? an antenna analyzer would prove or disprove the theory.

for that matter... if the antenna could be secured over the b-pillar cross bar, that would theroetically do the same thing, right?

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #8 of 8 Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I like the idea of it in the center of the roof. I may try that to see how it works., but I also like the idea of it by the lights on the windshield so that I can hide the wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode