Stock front axle shafts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Stock front axle shafts

Well here is the problem, I was trying to help out a fellow JK that was stuck in the mud, and I broke my left front axle shaft. The wheel side of the shaft completely shattered as soon as I put tension on the tow strap, while going in Reverse. I have a 4" Rough Country lift and currently running 35x13.5. Did this happen because of the tires? Has anyone else run into this problem? I have the video and it shows how easy it was to break. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

You don't say what axle you have, gearing you are running, or traction available but I think this is the first I've heard of a shaft breaking like this. Were you on slick rock?

To fix is easy. Cash and Alloy USA shafts from Northridge 4x4. I don't usually reccomend any particular distributor but had I listened to David earlier, I would have saved myself time, aggravation, and money. Replace the entire front axle shaft, right and left. Keep the stock parts for emergency spares. While you are at it add the C gussets if you have not already.

Just Empty Every Pocket.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Rock God

Aloha Brah! Glad you made it to da site....check this out
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7942

FAR FROM STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OHANA TRAILS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pulling someone out backwards is usually a bad idea. When you tension up it pulls down on the frame and gives you better traction.(unless your lower then the other guy.) Either way your front axle is the weaker axle, if you were in a turn at the same time you add even more variables against you. I used to think it was stupid to turn around an pull someone out; the more I here the more I believe. The rear axle is stronger and designed for the loads better then the front. When you can, always try to pull from the rear.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Pulling someone out backwards is usually a bad idea.

Don't forget that it is WAY more likely to break gears pulling in reverse. Just don't do it.

The stock ujoints break pretty easy but the shafts can break also. Did the shaft itself break or was it the ujoint?
if you are pulling in reverse all the weight loads on the front as mentioned before.

Where your wheels turned? Could bind up a bit or even just add extra stress

Do you have a Auto? The tourque converter can actually preload up quite a bit more power then the engine is putting out. I think I heard something like nearly double in a best case.

Also, do you have an open diff? If so, all those things could play a part.

If you were in reverse, with the load on the front axel, wheel slightly turned...the tourque converter could load up and the sudden transfer of power through the open diff from one side to the other could snap an axle no problem. And it only would have felt like you put it in gearm, gave it a little gas and a snapped like a twig.

Anyway, my point is that it is amazing to me sometimes how easily and how much force can build up on one certain part of a drivetrain and it didn't feel like much was happening. I have seen breaks before that blow your mind that there was enough force to break certain items
post #6 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post

To fix is easy. Cash and Alloy USA shafts from Northridge 4x4.
My personal preferance is to leave the stock shafts if you have a d30. You can carry spares. They do not take up much space and you can change them out in about the time it takes to change a flat.

That is just my preference. I would rather change a shaft then break something inside the diff. Not that there is any garuntee doing it either way...just my opinion. Maybe if I start getting tired of breaking shafts I will upgrade but until then it is just trail spares for me
post #7 of 8 Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

It is all stock, wrangler X, 2007 so it would be a Dana 30 front axle. I have been looking for a good deal, I will look at Cash and Alloy. Thanks for the info.
Dustin
post #8 of 8 Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Well all the info certainly helps my mind. It makes me feel better that what I was doing was wrong not the part. Since the parts are no longer under warranty (lift kit) I have to spend the money. But knowing how not to break will save money in the future. I am especially happy that it isn't the tires since.... well ....cant give them back. Thanks for all the advice.
Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode