SHOCKER!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905
SHOCKER!!!

Not the shocker you were thinking of...haha! Took my JK in today to get it aligned after installing my lift and new wheels and tires this weekend. Dropped it off at 8am even though my appointment wasn't till 2 pm. About 2:45 i had a voicemail, but i just figured they got it done early since it had been there all day. Boy was I wrong....ball joints bad....another 600 bucks including the alignment. I did buy the jeep used with 50,000 miles, but only had it three weeks. Oh well part of owning a vehicle I guess. At least i found them now rather than running 70 on the interstate and one breaking and me doing a nice big endo in the interstate.

Thanks for listening just wanted to vent!

At least he said they weren't very bad, and that only two of them were worn, but they only come in sets so at least i am getting all new ones. Will take PhilD's advice and get me a grease needle and keep them lubed ever so often.

I am going to have a beer

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Ball joints replaced at 7,000 miles and upper arm bushings and tierod and...
post #3 of 12 Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Wheeler

Sounds like Somebody needs to come up with a more serious and indestructible replacement for the ball joints....

Owner 2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon. 3" Poly performance stage 3, 35" BFG KM2s Rock Hard full width bumpers front and rear, My Gig Lock pick, Rear view cam. Been off roading other types of vehicles for about 15 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKeene View Post
Sounds like Somebody needs to come up with a more serious and indestructible replacement for the ball joints....
Or grease them on a regular basis. I put 50k miles on my ball joints with 37's and they were still pretty solid when I swapped them out.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Or grease them on a regular basis. I put 50k miles on my ball joints with 37's and they were still pretty solid when I swapped them out.
since I am learning to do my own work as I go with my Jeep, do you have a link to a write-up on how to do this? Is it easy?

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #6 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Get a needle adaptor for your grease gun (picked mine up at Autozone). Stick it in the rubber boot and lube. Try to hit the same tiny hole each time

Some worry about water getting in but the chances of a dry bushing far outweigh the risk if a few drops of water IMHO

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Get a needle adaptor for your grease gun (picked mine up at Autozone). Stick it in the rubber boot and lube. Try to hit the same tiny hole each time
X2 It is very easy to do.

Quote:
Some worry about water getting in but the chances of a dry bushing far outweigh the risk if a few drops of water IMHO
X2 Besides the boots are not exactly water tight anyway, water in a dry joint is bad, water in greased joint not so bad, especially if you use one of the greases that tacks up with water contact, like Castrol Pyroplex Blue.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Man I love this forum! I just posted up wanting to vent my frustration and now I have learned some preventative tips as well as others have gotten help too!

Thanks

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

post #9 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's what we're here for I have to give PhilD full credit for that tip. I try to share it any time the opportunity arises.

I read it in a maintenance and/or steering clunk thread somewhere here. I bought the needle adaptor and greased the steering intermediate shaft (for the clunk) and all possible joints just for good measure. The front end feels tighter and a little shimmy when hitting uneven pavement even went away. I wasn't expecting that bonus

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Wheeler

I replaced both upper and lower at about 8k miles..warrenteed by the dealer. Their choice believe it or not as I had only seen 1 bad joint.

Go Big or Go Home!!!!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Rock God

hmmm handbags, don't think they grease well. Thanks for the reminder on the grease gun, need to find my needle and do it again.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #12 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

2nd Opinion!!!

Took my Jeep this morning to a different shop to see about getting it aligned and to see if they said anything about the ball joints. Aligned perfectly, and they specifically said the ball joints are good! Whew...600 bucks to stay in my pocket....and it drives great now...not afraid to take my hand off the wheel for a second...haha

2007 Sahara Unlimited

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode