Wheel well trimming for 37's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
Wheel well trimming for 37's

Ok so the 37's rub a little in the fenderwells with the Nth 4" lift. The back was the worst and this is after the new kit moves the rear axle back some. I stopped by Nth and we did some static flexing with the fork lift. We got 41" of flex and of course no one had a camera. But we managed to identify some trouble spots and I did a little trimming today. I was hoping to not trim yet because Nth will be releasing a kit designed specifically for running 37's on the JK but I needed to use my JK now. So I lined up some tools.

And began the clearancing for those 37's.

Here you can see by the red mark how far into the tire the 37 is with a static compression. Imagine a dynamic compression and you may not have a tire left.

Under a little 2' hill you can see where the tire is in peril.

Ok so I used the die grinder with a cut off wheel and made some cuts in the offending pinch seam locations. I was careful to try to keep as much integrity to the spot welds and carefully begin to fold the pinch seam over using the channel locks.

Here is the side views.

Once the bends were started with the channel locks I used the sledges to coerce the folds over. I did not whack this all over in on shot. I used the mass of the sledges to help me push the metal over with a really small swing and almost fully choked up on the handles. Metal works best in many small movements over on big one.

This is all I actually removed from the wheel wells.

Once the shape was what I wanted I used the larger sledge to make it all suck up and stay put.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-22-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I then finished it off with a coat of flat black and called it done.

I think it came out pretty good.

The front was a different story. More in a moment.

Ok so I took the Jeep out into the ditch in the back yard and flexed it up after I clearanced the rear fender wells. This way I could see where the 37's will hit.

Cool not hitting in the back, except a little contact on the frame and there isn't much I can do about that. Fortunately is a a slight contact and I will know when I'm rubbing.

The front is an entirely different story.

Holy Moley even with the Shrockworks stubby winch bumper I was hitting the 37 on it!

Here you can see my red mark of how much will need to be removed at a minimum to not get into the tire. When I made this mark the Jeep wasn't going anywhere unless I decided to rip the tire off the wheel.

And it's not just the bumper either. Part of the inside fender is in contact by just a smidge and the worst is a hit on the plastic grill. I smacked the metal fender piece up a little to make it deflect a little when the tire hits it but I am unsure what I'm going to do with the grill. I may grind off part of it where it turns down but as long as I'm going forward when it hits the plastic will just flop against the tire.

I have elected to just cut off the bumper parts for now. I don't have pictures for my cuts as I hurried up so I could go out to dinner. I'll snap a few tomorrow.

Oh and the rear tire in the ditch under compression looks like this.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nice little write up! i wonder what nth* has planned? 37s arent anywhere remotely near my current plans... but im glad a solution will be available when the time comes!

the rear modification looks really good! did you post the front progress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-19-2007, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Thanks mikeyfl! I haven't posted up pics of the front yet. I need to but I'm a slacker. What can I say. Besides I need to go clean the JK out from this weekends activities and start packing up for the Rubicon on Friday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode