jeep 1-Deer 0 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Angry jeep 1-Deer 0

Well,, driving home tonight,, actually 30 minutes ago, 1 mile from the house a large forest rat(deer) ran out into rt 903 in penn forest township(NE PA).. I braked and tried to avoid but it was determined to end its life.. I hit it square in the front and it flew forward a good 40 feet into a pile.. I pulled over about even with the critter.. She(I believe it was a doe but I really didnt check closely) lifted her head then dropped dead.. in the dark I think I fared well,, I just put on my mopar bumper and even tho I didnt like the grill guard/hoop,, I do now! Doesnt look like it even screwed up the homespun bedliner job on the bumper.. The drivers flare is screwed up a bit.. but can tell in the AM how bad.. The deer did not have a chance.. I'm real happy I put that bumper on.. now I'm all tensed up,, just getting over my head on with the old lady,, that just hit the one year anniversary march 15th.. brings back memories from that crash.. gotta call the ins co then a vodka/redbull is on order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Hey, at least your safe and OK.

Sounds like your jeep faired well too. Enjoy that drink!

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Glad to hear your ok... the bumper did its job... had a buddy that hit a deer, jeep or deer didn't do well.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

Sure glad you survived. Do you guys have those deer whistles available out there? I have them on all our cars and on several occasions have had deer running toward my car only to veer off at the last step.

Well, they seem to work for me and are only about 8 bucks (no pun intended).

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
post #5 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

Put me down on the list for some Deer Jerky

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #6 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Rock God

glad that you are OK and that the Jeep appears to have faired well...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #7 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Rock God

x's 2 on you being okay. And we have deer everywhere down here in the SE corner of the PA. Update us on the how the Jeep looks in the daylight.

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

post #8 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'll post pics later today,, have to get my camera from a friend,, Well,, in the light,, bumper seams good,, some bedliner chipped,, and my a to z shackle mounts are chipped and have bone particles stuck to them.. The drivers flare is separated from the body near the front and twisted..so I'm not sure if its the flare or the steel fender.. I was told by the ins co not to take it apart,, but unless there is more than just a tweak and flare there shouldn't be any claim?
And the deer whistles? don't really work,, I've seen more cars/trucks with deer damage with them,, I think it scares them up and gets them running.. They say we have more deer related crashes up here than the rest of the state of Pa combined.. The locals call it deer alley..
post #9 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

by the way,, simpleman,, nice avatar,, from W&G?

Oh,, and I ended up having three of those drinks,, slept well after that...
post #10 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Granite Guru

should have quartered it up and brought it home. hate to see delicious venison go to waste.

Tony Lopes
2008 Black Rubicon Unlimited
4" superlift, 35/14.50/17 Pitbull Rockers on 17x9 black soft 8's, Riddler rear diff. cover, Superior chromoly axles rear
texasjeepowners.com
tx4wd.org
post #11 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
by the way,, simpleman,, nice avatar,, from W&G?
Yes it is the penguin from Wallace and Gromit in "The Wrong Trousers" Great movie, bad ass penguin - packs a gun! .

post #12 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlopes View Post
should have quartered it up and brought it home. hate to see delicious venison go to waste.
It wasnt as solid as you would think,, seemed like a bag-o-meat with bones poking out.. I'll take mine with a gun,, unless I get a good headshot with jeep..
post #13 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Rock God

i ran OVER a deer the other day - i think it was a fawn. I was driving down a road and saw a deer cross. i looked at it and was thinking "cool, it made it". right then i look back at the road and THUD. i hit a deer - but it didn't go under the tires. i ran over it. i felt 2 thuds in the middle of the Jeep.

I turned around to check out the carnage and there was no deer. looked in the fields around the road and nothing. no blood under the jeep either.

only thing was some hairs that were static clung to the front bumber and all over the rear of my jeep. there was some slobber on the grill of the jeep - i wish i would have gotten a pic of that!

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Glad to hear your okay....We have the same problem down here at Gettysburg with "BamBi"
post #15 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

We have a old joke in my family. My father got more deer with a car than with his rifle.
Had a deer crash right into my sliding glass patio door right here in Philly several years ago. Scared the crap out of my wife, she was right on the other side of the door.

MikeP

post #16 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^ Agreed. I've got 6 kills and 2 WIA's (deer), and 4 WIA's, 2 KIA's (cars). I always laugh at the local hunters- my buddy used to have a smokehouse up the street, so we'd have plenty of venison every year. I LOVED my old Fox-body because I paid $101 for it, and it killed 3 deer, and I sold $400 worth of venison from it
Glad to hear you're okay- hitting a deer sucks. Be ready to drive like a paranoid old lady for a while at night Mark W.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Rock God

Where in Philly Mike ? When I was young and dumb we would drink in Pennypack all the time - frigging deer would scare the piss out of ya late at night. Then the suckers would get mad at you from time to time - and that is not a good thing

post #18 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Rock God

I got one kill for a deer then an 18 wheeler turned it into pancake batter for me right after I hit it

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #19 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Wheeler

Hit one once with my old Expedition... basically no damage to my vehicle other than deer snot on the bumper, but the Caddilac behind me caught it and it got wedged between the front wheels. After she drug it for a quarter mile, the lady driving the thing got out and kept asking me what to do. I thought I'd help her pull it out, so I grabbed a leg and asked her to back up. You can imagine what happened... leg came off, but deer stayed wedged underneath. That thing was well tenderized.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=Cruiser;105036]
And the deer whistles? don't really work,, I've seen more cars/trucks with deer damage with them,, QUOTE]

I'm glad the Mule deer around here didn't get that memo! A good size buck was heading right into my pristine BJ70 and I figured he would take out the entire drivers side when he did a 180 right on the yellow line. I still can't believe he did that turn. I actually turned my head away from the windshield for the impact. I'm amazed that his antlers missed the rig.

That is the 3rd time I have had deer make a 180 away from my deer whistle equipped vehicles. I have not had a deer strike on any of my vehicles that have the whistles. They do have to be cleaned out regularly. If they get plugged up with ice, dirt, gook, etc.... they are no longer a whistle.

For under 10.00 I recommend them to anyone who drives in deer terrain.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
post #21 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

We almost hit a huge whitetail buck heading out to a friend's hunting cabin. Didn't see it until it was right in front of the RH headlight.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #22 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Hit a deer with my Stealth doing 90. The deer "shattered" as well as the front end of my car. Set off the airbags and all. Needless to say... no more Stealth. I miss that car!!

Anyway, good to see you and the Jeep made out alright!
post #23 of 30 Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Where in Philly Mike ? When I was young and dumb we would drink in Pennypack all the time - frigging deer would scare the piss out of ya late at night. Then the suckers would get mad at you from time to time - and that is not a good thing
pennypack? what highschool did you go to?? I was at Hatboro-Horsham.. grew up right next to WGNAS..
post #24 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlopes View Post
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=Explodey.flv

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #25 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That video was kinda close,, but no flashin lights or poop shootin out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode