NO LEAKS-knock on wood - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

NO LEAKS-knock on wood

I've had my JK for a month now and this has been the 1st good hard rain I've been in and no leaks from the soft top. I was parked in it, drove 35 to 40 mi an hour and 70 on the highway and no leaks. I read so many posts where everybodys talkin about the tops leaking, so far knock on wood I stayed dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Granite Guru

Same here. I wonder what it'll be like 5 years from now though.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Sorry, its inevitable

I had mine for about a month and was reading some post regarding leaks. I posted that I had not had a problem. That same night it rained like hell and when I got out in the morning, the floorboard carpet was wet. I now use a Shamwow. I keep two of them in the Jeep and on rainy days, I place them against the door on the floorboard on both sides. I have not any problems with leaks while driving though. YET!!! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Mine did not start until it was about a year and a half old! Hope yours stays dry.....
post #5 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Openly Hostile

Mine is just over 2 years old now and my soft top leaks like a mofo right over the door handles.

Jason
post #6 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Rock God

mine also waited until about 34000 to start leaking or a little over 1.5yrs. It leaks right near the drivers side mirror.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

My top leaks....well the lack of doors makes it leak. I kinda like it when it leaks....cleans the floorboards for me.

post #8 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Granite Guru

My Jeep is same age as SDMF's, but I've only had it 8 months now with no issue...yet

'07 Stone White X 2-Dr

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
post #9 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Rock God

i had the famous leak on the door handles. TSB 23-002-08 fixed it. then i noticed some water on the bottom of the passenger door sill? wtf? BOTH door weatherstrippings have a tear on the bottom, allowing a small amount of water trickle in. getting new ones tuesday under warranty. then i will have a leak free jeep at last.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #10 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

Ok my buddy just picked up his 09 Rubicon unlimited a few days ago. When we were taking out the cloth mats to put in rubber mats there was a wet spot on the drivers side where your feet are and nowhere else. So being that I just bought my 09 unlimited Rubicon a couple months ago I decided to check mine today because its pouring rain out and there it was. A damp spot under my driver floormat. Not soaking wet just damp. And thats the only spot that is wet and or leaks. Where is this coming from? I had an 07 2 dr Rubi bought in Nov 06 and really didnt have much of any leak problems. Real minor from roof that dripped onto the shifter area.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Same here. I wonder what it'll be like 5 years from now though.
I was wondering the same thing, but probably in 5yrs I'll be ready for a new one. I hope to have a few tops by then, diff styles that is.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If you have a hard-top- Make sure before you say that "It doesn't leak yet", to check after a hard rain or driving in a hard rain...the back carpet along the tailgate, including the storage compartment, and the jack compartment. Mine supposedly didn't leak cause there was no evidence of moisture in the front after the dealership replaced the seals- but when I checked the back- the carpet was completely soaked and there was about 3- 4" of water in the storage and jack compartments. Water had channeled through the hardtop inside (not visible), all the way to the back and down into the rear interior.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Ok poured rain all day yesterday and last night. Went out this morning to check it out. No leaks in the back or anywhere that I could find. Looked all over inside. But then again its only 2 months old.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If you have a hard-top- Make sure before you say that "It doesn't leak yet", to check after a hard rain or driving in a hard rain...the back carpet along the tailgate, including the storage compartment, and the jack compartment. Mine supposedly didn't leak cause there was no evidence of moisture in the front after the dealership replaced the seals- but when I checked the back- the carpet was completely soaked and there was about 3- 4" of water in the storage and jack compartments. Water had channeled through the hardtop inside (not visible), all the way to the back and down into the rear interior.

I have water pooling in the "Breadbox" too. I thought it was coming through the window seal, but the seal appears dry when I check it after a rain. Do you know where water is entering the hard top?

Thanks,
Duffy
post #15 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

min leaks like a SOB but we dont get much rain in SOCAL the trektop solved my leaking issues

www.jeepasylum.com
post #16 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Granite Guru

My center seal on the hardtop leaked after I took it off, then, reinstalled, then washed. I then took the tops off again, cleaned the seals, applied heavy silicone spray, and no leaks since January. Keeping my fingers crossed for no future leaks (sounds inevitable), but Silicone helps keep the gaskets pliable.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #17 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

We're just coming out of our winter,which is our rainy season and so far no leaks on the hardtop (2 months old).I keep some work gloves in the breadbox and they are dry.I just bought mine,brand new 08,2 months ago however this jeep had been sitting in the dealers lot for almost a year so maybe they already fixed whatever

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #18 of 26 Old 04-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I have water pooling in the "Breadbox" too. I thought it was coming through the window seal, but the seal appears dry when I check it after a rain. Do you know where water is entering the hard top?

Thanks,
Duffy
we had a heavy all day rain friday. after reading this, i checked the breadbox. d..r..y

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #19 of 26 Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Wheeler

I have had my JK for about 16 months and the soft top just started leaking on the two front corners of the dashboard. Brought it to the shop Tuesday. As of today it is still in the shop. Said they have some new weatherstripping to install. Should have it back tomorrow. They also had to reseal the front differential due to a leak. Such a boring weekend without the JK.

2012 JK in the works.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Do you know where water is entering the hard top?
Not sure exactly where it's coming into the hardtop- but it has to becoming from somewhere between the front (two) panels and the rear hardtop. Either from the middle where the two panels fit together....or from the drip rails along the tops of the doors, where they meet the rear portion.

The water is not imo channeling through the front panels. Its coming from somewhere between where the front panels and the rear hard top are supposed to seal together.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
The Flower Guy

What's involved in changing over the carpets. What rubber mats did you use? I have a 2008 2 dr still new (about 800 miles) and I wanted rubber mats from the dealer but they were not available. Do you recommend the mats you bought?

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZZ View Post
Ok poured rain all day yesterday and last night. Went out this morning to check it out. No leaks in the back or anywhere that I could find. Looked all over inside. But then again its only 2 months old.
Mine only leaks when I'm driving in the kind of rain we got the other day.

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #23 of 26 Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post

Aw, FAWK man! I will definitely keep my eyes on that breadbox. Got a hard rain coming tonight/tomorrow. I'll post back if I come up with a leak if there's an internet connection in the Jail. Gonna break my foot off in that salesman's @$$ if this hardtop leaks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #24 of 26 Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Aw, FAWK man! I will definitely keep my eyes on that breadbox. Got a hard rain coming tonight/tomorrow. I'll post back if I come up with a leak if there's an internet connection in the Jail. Gonna break my foot off in that salesman's @$$ if this hardtop leaks.
The sad thing is that this was AFTER they had replaced the seals. They tried to convince me that I must have left the rear window open...lol. I took it home and told em to pound sand, until they had a redesigned seal kit to install. The next week hit 90+ degrees and when I removed the hard-top, it oozed out sealant onto the passenger seat head-rest.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

So, it rained like hell day before yesterday. I checked the breadbox. All dry, BUT I didn't drive the Jeep that day. Now I have to wait for it to rain again and drive on the highway to see if the wind is pushing the water in. It won't matter next month when I take the top off and carpets out.

It's like a freakin' quest at this point... I MUST FIND THE LEAK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode