Age old Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Age old Question

I am new to JKO and first want to thank JKO for have such a great site.

First off up until about about a year ago I had an 08 JK unlimited Sahara. It was great, but unfortunately as all good things come to an end I bought a travel trailer and of course the jeep would not pull it.

So here is the question....

I would like to purchase a new Rubicon, but am undecided as to an Automatic or Standard. What is the general consensus here about each one. Is one really that much better then the other.

look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I would suppose everybody has preferences, but I would go manaul.

I have had both and really I wasn't sure which one I wanted when I bought my 2dr Rubicon. After driving the auto, it seems like it's just an old tech tranny. Shifting seems a bit sloppy and you couldn't really choose your gears. I drove the manual and found it to be much quicker and you could hold your gears. I find the manaul is smooth shifting and in the two door hardtop I would even venture so far as to say the thing is peppy. The auto was a bit frustrating to drive, where the manual is fun.

I drive to work about 60 miles a day in city traffic and have not regretted the manual at all.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Granite Guru

For me it was a simple matter of whether I wanted to screw around with shifting all the damn time while juggling a coffee cup or something else while battling traffic or rocks.

We're still swapping parts on the '09 Rubi so it hasnt seen any wheeling yet. Our built up XJ/Auto needed a bigger trans cooler but wheeled great in the rocks.

My other two rigs in the sig are both sticks - hell the Toy has three and the CJ has four of them...

Perhaps I'm lazy... but I went with the auto in the JK and I'm glad I did. It'll get a bigger trans cooler for sure if the OEM unit is on the tiny side.

'69 CJ (sold)
'96 stroked XJ (sold)
'81 Toy Flatbed-d-ded
'09 Rubi Unlimited
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

My vote is maual.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Rock God

Like said, Personal preference.
I ride a Jockey Shift bike and I really don't want the hassle of shifting anymore than I have to.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Rock God

Mines a manual. LOVE it around town and in mud. Im new to wheeling in general and seem to have a little bit of a hard time not riding the clutch too much when wheeling on rocks. I'm sure it will come with practice but the first rock pile I hit I was like **** why didnt I get an auto heh.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #7 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Got a manual and love it!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Wheeler

There are advantages to both and draw backs. What has helped the Auto is the low-stall torque converter, for the holding back going down hill. The ability to shift gears on a hill climb without the loss of momentum. Draw backs are if your battery is un-able to start the engine, you cannot roll start the vehicle. I have had many of both type of transmissions over the years and for the last 10 years I have had the Automatic. I do run it through the gears by moving the shift lever to do what I want it to do. The auto allows me to concentrate on other things instead of shifting.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Auto for me.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 04:55 AM
Granite Guru

I have a manual and find it to be just about perfect for what I use my Jeep for. The tranny is made by Mercedes Benz in Germany and shows. If you haven't driven one with a stick, make sure you do before you buy one with the auto. I could go on and on about how well suited it is to this type of vehicle but I won't. Just go drive one. On the other hand, an auto tranny is just a lot easier to use off road. Especially rock climbing and such. If I was out west where this sort of thing was readily available to me, I would have paid the extra money for the Auto. Which brings up another point. Why do you have to pay so much more for an old tech, 4 speed auto over a high tech 6 speed German made manual?

Bottom line is simply this. The manual is great but if you do lots of serious off roading, you probably would be better off with the auto.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Wheeler

I have a 2dr Rubicon with an auto. No problems. Throw on a MagnaFlow muffler, gives it a little more umph.

2007 Rubicon 2Dr
Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with shocks
ProComp wheels 17X9
Stock 32 tires
ARB front Bumper
Spod
KC windshield lights and Rally 800 bumper lights
Gentex, auto dimming, Homelink, rearview mirror
Mopar rock sliders
Dirtydog 4x4 pet net
Safari straps full cage netting
Neoprene seat vest
post #12 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 AM
Granite Guru

Manual for sure....I think more overall control. I have an 07' with 55k miles.... I am looking for a hand throttle though? Haven't' seen for the new JK's yet?

I really like the ability to crawl/idle with no gas or no feet. When hunting and exploding we ride outside the vehicle while idling and reach in to turn occasionally.

Way more versatile with the auto. And for towing it is a no brainer.....manual!
post #13 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's preference, If you use it more for around town I'd go with the auto. If you want the reliability and positive drive of the manual go with it.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #14 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Rock God

auto for wheeling
post #15 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
auto for wheeling
I hate to say it but I agree. Of course I have a stick and I love it!
post #16 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've had both manual and auto for my 4x4's.Having said that,I prefer auto hands down,jmho

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #17 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Rock God

Love my auto for running the trail! Plus makes life better for towing my Bass Boat and 18' camper..

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Wheeler

All personal preference since there is virtually no gas milage difference anymore.

For me. I didnt want to fry clutches when wheeling in deep water and mud and hated the idea of trying to use a clutch while crawling on rocks.

Plus, I'm just too lazy to shift anymore. I put plenty of time in on manuals.

Go Big or Go Home!!!!!!
post #19 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

well guys I appreciate all of your responses. My previous JK was an Auto, that being said I think I might stick with the Auto. I really like the idea of being able to concentrate on the trail rather then the shifting....also my wife is unable to drive stick and someone needs to drive me home after a Friday night.

Thanks again.

Nick
post #20 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Since I can't stand hydraulic clutches I am auto and loving it.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use my auto more as a "semi auto".Since the max speed limit around here is 45mph,I don't use OD (going up and down small hills) and when coming to a stop,I downshift from D to 2.This tranny lends itself extremly well to this,and I don't hotrod either.Did the same thing with my 01 cherokee and put over 100k smiles on it

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #22 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I would suppose everybody has preferences, but I would go manaul.

I have had both and really I wasn't sure which one I wanted when I bought my 2dr Rubicon. After driving the auto, it seems like it's just an old tech tranny. Shifting seems a bit sloppy and you couldn't really choose your gears. I drove the manual and found it to be much quicker and you could hold your gears. I find the manaul is smooth shifting and in the two door hardtop I would even venture so far as to say the thing is peppy. The auto was a bit frustrating to drive, where the manual is fun.

I drive to work about 60 miles a day in city traffic and have not regretted the manual at all.
Hmm, interesting. I found just the opposite. To me, the manual felt sloppy (as in the shifter was loose) and the gears didn't seem quite right. I'm no stranger to manuals and I'm sure with practice, I would have found the right gears for each situation.

The auto I test drove seemed a bit snappier when I mashed it down the onramp and appeared to select the right gear for the various situations I was in.

I went in thinking, "it's a Jeep... it needs a stick!". After reading a bit here about autos on the trail and the test drives and consultation with the wife (who will be driving it - on and off road - too) we went with the auto.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Call me a 33 year old traditionalist, but I got a manual because my 5 previous Jeeps (Newest being an 87 YJ) all had manuals. 4 of the 5 also had 4.3 inline 6 engines, and I admit that the V6 in the JKs prevented me from considering one until November of last year. That being said, I'm glad to have one and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I avoided TJs because of the coil springs... I'm a lot wiser now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #24 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Hmm, interesting. I found just the opposite. To me, the manual felt sloppy (as in the shifter was loose) and the gears didn't seem quite right. I'm no stranger to manuals and I'm sure with practice, I would have found the right gears for each situation.

The auto I test drove seemed a bit snappier when I mashed it down the onramp and appeared to select the right gear for the various situations I was in.

I went in thinking, "it's a Jeep... it needs a stick!". After reading a bit here about autos on the trail and the test drives and consultation with the wife (who will be driving it - on and off road - too) we went with the auto.
Yup, I drove identical Rubicons back to back to compare and I thought the auto was a bit more sluggish and it seemed to hunt around more in traffic. The manual did everything I wanted it to.

There is a bunch to be said with an auto offroad though, but I'm in Michigan so I don't really need to slip the clutch much, especially with the 4:1 t-case.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
auto for wheeling
X2 especially for rock crawling and similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode