CHEAP air solution - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

CHEAP air solution

I'd like to be able to air down AND back up. I'm new to 4 wheeling and don't plan on entering any competitions soon so I don't need something that will air up a 40" in 30 seconds or anything AND I smoke so I can easilly kill time while airing back up. Found this on amazon

THIS ONE

Anyone use these or any cheap (compressor<$80) compressor that worked good and you would recommend?

TYIA

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

What I did in the 90's to air up my CJ-7's tires was get an air compressor that plugs into the cig lighter (cig light = aux power outlet). $17.00 that was it! No need for an air tank or other crazy-ass junk to just air up the tires. It is small and fits into the storage area under the floor in the back. It is also good to continually monitor tire pressure, (especially now since the jerk-of*'s of Wall Street are once again bidding up the price of oil. I guess these brokerage whores think the sad state of the economy has so distracted all americans they will never notice the greedy pigs are at it again...but I digress).

Check your local auto parts store (dear God almighty not the dealership) for one of these. It is good to 250lbs per sq in.

Just my simple solution.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Rock God

Your link doesn't work. Look up Q-Maxx or some have another name on them... I believe they make the SmittyBilt compressors now. Most of us in our club have used them for years and they have worked great for us, only have seen one melt down(litterally) after airing up 15 tires. I think you can get them at costco(sp.)

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Rock God

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-P...8422935&sr=8-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRShiN View Post
I'd like to be able to air down AND back up. I'm new to 4 wheeling and don't plan on entering any competitions soon so I don't need something that will air up a 40" in 30 seconds or anything AND I smoke so I can easilly kill time while airing back up. Found this on amazon

THIS ONE

Anyone use these or any cheap (compressor<$80) compressor that worked good and you would recommend?

TYIA

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanx SRTpusher for fixing the link and thanx BOBY435 and Prope for the suggestions. Looks like I should be able to grab something for about $20-$50 bucks locally.

post #6 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

MastFlow MF-1050

Used to be the sought after mv50. It cost $50 when I got mine but looks like they are now $$70-$80.

YOu can get it at Pepboys are HarborFreight.

Fills all 4 35's in about 12 minutes

There has been many reviews on these over the years. They have some of the best speeds. Even faster then some more expensive ones. Just google it and you will find many reviews. I have been using mine for about 3 years with no issues
post #7 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL
post #8 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

I use the MV50 with a 2 gallon air tank, pressure switch relay, yadda yadda yadda.

I can't wait to move to CO2. With it all mounted inside, it overheats easily and I have to let it cool down between front and rear tires. The 120lbs in the 2gal tank shaves off about 3 minutes worth of fill-up, I guess, but takes five minutes to bring the tank to 120lbs from 0, or 2 minutes from 80.

!c

Edit: read the above as saying: if you're going to go with the MF1050/MV50, don't bother with running an external tank and dealing with all of that hassle unless you intend to run air tools (which I thought I might... one day.). You'll just spend a bunch of money and end up being frustrated.

Get it, it works, be patient, and keep it outside of the vehicle when running it.

Last edited by jkdrone; 03-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
JR
Rock God

Here's my entry level 80P kit from VIAIR, less than a $50 pricetag
http://www.rjroffroad.com/viair-80p-...-pr-17641.html

They go up from there as far as duty cycle, speed, size, and price...

You can see them all here
http://www.rjroffroad.com/portable-s...ad-c-1316.html

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #10 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanx for the link, that was a great write up with lots of pictures and info. I will be going with the Cosco one!

post #11 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Here's my entry level 80P kit from VIAIR, less than a $50 pricetag
http://www.rjroffroad.com/viair-80p-...-pr-17641.html

They go up from there as far as duty cycle, speed, size, and price...

You can see them all here
http://www.rjroffroad.com/portable-s...ad-c-1316.html
OK that one looks nice too, apperantly there are many options for cheapies like me. Thanx All!!

post #12 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM
qqq
Wheeler

what if you fill up your spares tire whit co2 and use it as a thank maby you could fill up your tire air wont work but co2 maybe
post #13 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqq View Post
what if you fill up your spares tire whit co2 and use it as a thank maby you could fill up your tire air wont work but co2 maybe
I'm pretty sure that most spares aren't rated in the triple-digits PSI required when filling it with liquid CO2....

!c
post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Openly Hostile

co2 becomes liquid at about 800 psi.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode