Why You Want to Disconnect Your Front Sway Bar While Off Roading (Video + Pictures) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Why You Want to Disconnect Your Front Sway Bar While Off Roading (Video + Pictures)

While I was browsing some of the past videos I've made, I wanted to quickly illustrate the theory of why you would want to disconnect your front swar bar links.

This video is a Rubicon so all he has to do is push a button and that will release his sway bar connections.

Youtube explanation:

This is the reason why you disconnect your front sway bar. Many Jeepers when they first start out, I've been there before, want to know what benefit you receive from Disconnecting your front sway bar. While this example is not a perfect one, you should understand that disconnecting your front sway bar will allow your Jeep to be more stable. In certain situations stability is not only a concern of safety, but it's the difference between getting through an obstacle versus not getting through. Not disconnecting your front sway bar also puts more stress on suspension components which will break if you force them to bind with extreme pressure.

The Reason Why You Disconnect Your Front Sway Bar. - YouTube

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pluke the 2; 01-10-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Makes all the difference in the world!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

ya it really does.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Granite Guru

Another important note, if you own a Rubicon (or bought the option). Be sure to always disconnect your front E-swaybar, even on a rough dirt road in 4HI.

The electric motors don't like the stress, and will grenade in quick time.

One tip: If you have the E-Disco, and adjustable front links, adjust one link slightly longer than the other, approx. 1/8". This will "bias" the front swaybar and take out the slack in the E-Disco motor. Relieves a lot of stress on it.

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
post #5 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
Another important note, if you own a Rubicon (or bought the option). Be sure to always disconnect your front E-swaybar, even on a rough dirt road in 4HI.

The electric motors don't like the stress, and will grenade in quick time.

One tip: If you have the E-Disco, and adjustable front links, adjust one link slightly longer than the other, approx. 1/8". This will "bias" the front swaybar and take out the slack in the E-Disco motor. Relieves a lot of stress on it.
And why not...all you do is push a damn button.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #6 of 44 Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

almost every time i pull down a rough road... say the road to a boat ramp or fishing spot... i slip my rubi into 4hi and hit the swaybar button. makes the ride sooooo much nicer.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #7 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow I never realized how much disconnecting actually help.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #8 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Is this thread meant to be funny?

07 Rescue Green Unlimited
Upcoming projects - Much needed TLC
post #9 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've been disconnecting on the beach since it smooths out the ride even more than airing down. Of course since it's electronic, couldn't see manually doing it each time down to the beach.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #10 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il View Post
Is this thread meant to be funny?
I don't seem to thing so, seeing it in the pictures and video just puts it it perspective for everyone.

On a side note my swaybar light came on the other day(blinking) and I can't turn it off I have tried four low and hi and different speeds with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Haven't done any research on it yet but I figured sense we are on the subject I'd throw it out there. TIA

PS. Not meant to highjack.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #11 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

Good thread to show the benefits.
post #12 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

For those of us without the e-disco, what is the best method to release the swaybar? Do you need to disco both sides? And once it is disconnected what is the best way to keep secured?

Without spending $200 on quick disconnect ends. :-)
post #13 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyWagon View Post
For those of us without the e-disco, what is the best method to release the swaybar? Do you need to disco both sides? And once it is disconnected what is the best way to keep secured?

Without spending $200 on quick disconnect ends. :-)
Wrench. And yes both. Tie em up with zip ties to the sway bar arms. That would be a huge PITA. But, if I were you, buy a set of RK disco's, I think they run 100 bucks. Well worth the money

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #14 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Granite Guru

Do most people just disconnect the front swaybar?
post #15 of 44 Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyWagon View Post
Do most people just disconnect the front swaybar?
Yes most just disconnect the front
post #16 of 44 Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Granite Guru

A local offroad club had a "4x4 101" event. Part of the event was showing people the value of disconnecting the front swaybar.
My Rubicon was the demonstration vehicle. They had me go up an RTI ramp as far as i could just in 4-lo. Measured the distance, then had me disconnect. I gained a significant amount just disconnecting the front swaybar!
Then they had me lock both ends. I could have driven right off the end of the thing if I wasn't careful!
post #17 of 44 Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
A local offroad club had a "4x4 101" event. Part of the event was showing people the value of disconnecting the front swaybar.
My Rubicon was the demonstration vehicle. They had me go up an RTI ramp as far as i could just in 4-lo. Measured the distance, then had me disconnect. I gained a significant amount just disconnecting the front swaybar!
Then they had me lock both ends. I could have driven right off the end of the thing if I wasn't careful!
I believe a Rubicon with the Sway Bar disconnected *** and lockers activated definitively could have done it.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Last edited by pluke the 2; 06-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.
post #18 of 44 Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Wheeler

This is good information for us Newbs, thanks Pluke.
post #19 of 44 Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Rock God

I hate taking mine off...I need quick disconnects. It's a pain in the ass.

Another good tip...don't forget to put them back on before going home. I made a rookie mistake of leaving them off thinking I would be ok. While it makes all the difference to have them off on the trail it also makes all the difference having them on for the road.
post #20 of 44 Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy1rubi View Post
This is good information for us Newbs, thanks Pluke.
No problem. Glad it helps!

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #21 of 44 Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Disconnected -

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #22 of 44 Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

I don't like the losey goosey suspension motions with the front bar disconnected. I tossed the e-disco (aka, "electro-fail") sway bar in favor of a Teraflex dual rate. One of my best upgrades.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 05-29-2013 at 07:03 AM.
post #23 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Rock God

Also good to note for the e-disco. If you're in any sort of rocks just completely, physically disconnect. If not eventually you'll end up the taco'd end links. My rule of thumb, if it's a rough dirt road or fairly tame use the e-disco, if articulation is involved physically disconnect like you would on vehicles without the e-disco.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #24 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I don;t like the losey goosey suspension motions with the front bar disconnected. I tossed the e-disco (aka, "electro-fail") sway bar in favor of a Teraflex dual rate. One of my best upgrades.
I used to disconnect until one got stuck and only let go to slice my hand open on the front fender.

I went to Antirocks and never looked back. All the flex of disconnecting without disconnecting.
post #25 of 44 Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

I still run my E-disco, regardless of the "situation" or trail. I've never undone the links for off roading, never pretzeled a link and my E-disco has always worked. So far I have no reason to replace it.

My two cents on antirock/Teraflex sway bars are good and bad and absolutely depend on the rig and suspension components it has. It's sort of a balancing act depending on your suspension. I wouldn't suggest just throwing bars at Jeeps and expecting automatic awesome results. For instance on my rig my rear end is a bit firm, much more-so than my front. Adding a front anti-rock would slow the movement from the front and make the rear work a little harder, thus helping it "balance". But if I threw a pair of anti-rocks on it, I don't think I'd benefit hardly at all. Or perhaps if I had flex joints on my rear axle, I don't think I'd really want any sort of sway bar on it.

A lot of it is personal preference!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode