Driveshafts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905
Driveshafts?

I am waiting on the arrival of my 4" RC lift kit. With only 4" inches of lift should i need new drive shafts? I have an 07 Unlimited 6spd

Thanks

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

And i know the RC isn't the best wheelin kit out there but I will be on road 75% of the time.

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

post #3 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

probably will need a front shaft sooner or later.

keep an eye on the seal where the Shaft goes into the rzeppa joint on the TC end of the DS.

Once you get your lift on take a look at the angle at that same joint. All lifts are different but if it ends up being 4" you will be pretty cose to maxed out on that style joint. however, you should be able to drive on it for quite some time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

That is what i was figuring...i have done a few lifts...lifted a 10,000lb dodge cummins and didn't need anything....I was reading some posts on Project-you know cause they have a write up on this install and they were saying definitely needed shafts...but i figured they might be trying to sell some things....i realize eventually i will need them....

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #5 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

take a look at my front DS install. There is some pics of how my stocker was looking with close to 4" lift.

I have a Auto. Not sure if there is a difference in length of shaft between the two. If there is I doubt it is enough to help the angle at all.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6940
post #6 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Granite Guru

I know you have a stick, but I can comment on the clearance with the auto.

Just installed the Teraflex 4" and the front shaft was extremely close to the skid. Under load and with my fata$$ in the drivers seat, it made contact with the skid. I notched the skid and alleviated the contact problem but noted the angle at the tcase end was maxed out.

The shaft shuddered on starts and stops.

I yanked it and I'm shopping for something new.

'69 CJ (sold)
'96 stroked XJ (sold)
'81 Toy Flatbed-d-ded
'09 Rubi Unlimited

Last edited by ohana fab; 03-29-2009 at 04:55 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I know on the sticks i don't have the skid you are refering too...and i think the length of the shaft on the manual maybe a little longer. Like I said though I will not be doing any hardcore wheeling till i upgrade the shaft, and even then it won't be hardcore. Most of my time will be spent driving locally and maybe a few trips to Turkey Bay to hang out and trail ride some. So I am thinking I will be ok for a while...just hate to instantly have to fork out 500 more bucks for a shaft....

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #8 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to srbaker2 Send a message via MSN to srbaker2 Send a message via Yahoo to srbaker2

I'm shopping for a new front drive shaft also right now. I have the stock one on my manual when I'm in 4wd I can go straight but if I turn the whole front end starts to bind up and causes my jeep to want to stall out. Anyone know if that is from the drive shaft or should I worry about something else? Right now I'm looking at getting a tom woods 1310.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I just want my stocker to hold out till the end of the year when i get my bonus and can upgrade my driveshaft

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

Anyone do driveshaft business with this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...Q5fAccessories

'69 CJ (sold)
'96 stroked XJ (sold)
'81 Toy Flatbed-d-ded
'09 Rubi Unlimited
post #11 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

He has got good feedback...sounds like a good deal...i might try to contact off of ebay though....sometimes it is hard to get the details right through ebay...

anyone have any advice for me on my driveshaft issue....i don't wheel hard or anything like....just wanting it to hold up for a while to save up some more cash to upgrade that driveshaft

2007 Sahara Unlimited

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode