Just because a parking lot, doesn't mean it isn't deep... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 03-27-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews
Just because a parking lot, doesn't mean it isn't deep...

As I found out last night.

Where I live, we are pretty starved for nice off road spots outside of construction sites and illegal fields/trails. That said, my craving for off road driving is high and is rarely sated. Now, not far from my house, is a large dirt parking lot that may as well be called a minor trail. It is bumpy, full of fairly deep holes and ruts, has a few hill-ish areas, and one 4 or so car length trench.

Anyway, last night on my way to pick up dinner for the wife and myself, I swung in there to do a few laps because it was raining and my Jeep was just too clean. Well, unlike most of my passes through this lot, I decided to brave the trench at the far end. I gave it a good look over before driving in, and from inside the Jeep looking down, it didn't look any deeper than maybe half of my stock tires. Screw it I say, and I start moving in...

I get about 5 feet into the trench and all is well, ladida... When all of a sudden... SPLOOOSH.... My left front drops down into the water above my bumper. Mind you, I am still running the stock (X with the S package stock anyway) 17" wheels and tires, with no lifting yet, so it wasn't THAT deep, but it still made my heart pound, especially with the suddenness of it. Hell, I wasn't even in 4WD because it was a PARKING LOT!

Anyway, I just popped into reverse and backed out. Being alone at 9pm on a rainy Thursday night, I just didn't want to take the chance of getting stuck, despite the fact that I more than likely could have plowed on through. Not to mention, that would have been stupidly embarrassing...

Anyway, just because it is a trench in a dirt parking lot, doesn't mean it isn't deep! Always check your depth before crossing/driving in unknown mudholes and trenches! lol

Oh, backing out of the water also pulled my front, plastic skid plate loose and left it hanging. Good thing they designed it to break away and not actually break, so I just snapped the straps back in and was good to go...

Fun stuff for a parking lot, lol.
CrazEtooN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Granite Guru
 
Mudinyeri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Age: 55
Posts: 151
Feedback: 0 reviews



That is all.
Mudinyeri is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 03-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Wheeler
 
jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews

Never under estimate the parking lot .... *** Not Me ***

jeepn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!
 
mikeyfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: apollo beach, fl
Age: 38
Posts: 2,872
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn View Post
Never under estimate the parking lot .... *** Not Me ***

now THAT is a funny picture.
mikeyfl is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

Wow... just... wow...

What exactly is going on in that picture? I mean, it doesn't even look like it would be possible for him to sink that deep in that particular spot. That's just crazy.
CrazEtooN is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Wheeler
 
MoMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Deer Park, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 63
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfl View Post
now THAT is a funny picture.
I believe this is the best pictue I have seen in a while.

Go Big or Go Home!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoMud is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Age: 51
Posts: 868
Feedback: 5 reviews

I keep telling people wheeling at the mall is dangerous.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wanderingtrail is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru
 
Mudinyeri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Age: 55
Posts: 151
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn View Post
Never under estimate the parking lot .... *** Not Me ***

It's guys like this - and the OP - that give off-roaders a bad name and contribute, significantly, to the Greenies' cause to close trails nation-wide. The picture above constitutes a crime. The guy driving the Jeep is damaging private or public property. At a minimum that's a ticket and fine.

I thought I could keep my mouth shut, but "off-roading" in dirt parking lots, shopping center medians and other private (not owned by you) and public property is illegal and it ISN'T off-roading. You're breaking the law and showing the world what a bunch of a$$holes off-roaders are.

Thanks!
Mudinyeri is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Ditto

and let me add, Grow up.

Running around in areas you aren't suppose to be isn't wheeling.

Tearing up mud in a dirt parking lot isn't wheeling.

the OPs "craving" for off-road driving is killing access for every other "real" wheeler across the country.

If you don't have respect for the property that is not yours and is not open to legal wheeling, then show some respect for those that are the responsible wheelers you are trying to pretend to be associated with and find something else to do with your time.
paragon is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

What the hell are your problems?

It was supposed to be a funny story... I'm sorry, but I don't have immediate access to trails and rock gardens, nor do I have the money to invest into my brand new vehicle to make it able to go to such extreme places.

Sorry for giving you a "bad name" you over-bearing, judgmental moron. I didn't go over a curb and into a grass/dirt island like in that picture. I was in a PUBLIC DIRT PARKING LOT. It is full of holes, mud puddles, a trench, and some hills. How they hell was I giving anyone a bad name?

It wasn't private property.

I didn't destroy anything.

I was driving around at 10-15 mph enjoying the rough terrain.

Where do you get off judging me because I decided to have fun in a parking lot when it was muddy? Who are you to lay down hate on me for telling a story that was supposed to be funny?

If I had the money to mod my jeep to heavy levels and the time to travel 5-6 hours away to the nearest, "real" trails I would. For now, I make due with what I have, and try to have fun. I don't litter, I don't destroy anything, and I don't go on private property and tear it up giving "you" a bad name.

Now, kindly, go f*ck yourselves and your high horses. Damn, I thought this was a friendly, decent community...

Last edited by CrazEtooN; 03-28-2009 at 09:10 AM.
CrazEtooN is offline  
post #11 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru
 
Duffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Shore, MA
Age: 57
Posts: 137
Feedback: 0 reviews

I would find it hard to resist a beat up, muddy, parking lot puddle too. The OP didn't tear anything up... he went into a mud puddle that was deeper than it looked.

Now, the guy in the photo is being a jackass, but they are not the same guy.


That's just how I read the post. YMMV.

Cheers,
Duffy
Duffy is offline  
post #12 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Rock God
 
Proud Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Age: 56
Posts: 1,009
Feedback: 0 reviews

Should have gotten it on Utube

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Rebel is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
What the hell are your problems?

It was supposed to be a funny story... I'm sorry, but I don't have immediate access to trails and rock gardens, nor do I have the money to invest into my brand new vehicle to make it able to go to such extreme places.

Sorry for giving you a "bad name" you over-bearing, judgmental moron. I didn't go over a curb and into a grass/dirt island like in that picture. I was in a PUBLIC DIRT PARKING LOT. It is full of holes, mud puddles, a trench, and some hills. How they hell was I giving anyone a bad name?

It wasn't private property.

I didn't destroy anything.

I was driving around at 10-15 mph enjoying the rough terrain.

Where do you get off judging me because I decided to have fun in a parking lot when it was muddy? Who are you to lay down hate on me for telling a story that was supposed to be funny?

If I had the money to mod my jeep to heavy levels and the time to travel 5-6 hours away to the nearest, "real" trails I would. For now, I make due with what I have, and try to have fun. I don't litter, I don't destroy anything, and I don't go on private property and tear it up giving "you" a bad name.

Now, kindly, go f*ck yourselves and your high horses. Damn, I thought this was a friendly, decent community...
tard

If you don't have time or money to do what you want, you don't go tearing some property you don't own nor have permission to be on.

you are a turd, and a blight on what we do. I hope your disrespect costs you like it's costing many others who do the same stupid stuff. I just hope it doesn't cost those of us who are responsible and respectful.

I judge you because you are moron that effects everyone who cares about our sport
paragon is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I would find it hard to resist a beat up, muddy, parking lot puddle too. The OP didn't tear anything up... he went into a mud puddle that was deeper than it looked.

Now, the guy in the photo is being a jackass, but they are not the same guy.


That's just how I read the post. YMMV.

Cheers,
Duffy
If it's not your property and you don't have permission, you resist, period.

Just because someone parks there, gives you no right to tear up the property. If you don't get that part, then sell your Jeep and don't muck it up for those who are responsible.

Quite frankly, I will and have reported idiots like this because of it's effect. We have enough trouble fighting to keep access to trails without childish idiots defining the stereotype of an off-roader as someone who thinks they can just drive anywhere they please
paragon is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

What is your deal man? Seriously!

It was a public PARKING LOT made out of dirt. I don't understand why you are giving me such a freaking hard time. I am NOT the guy in that picture, I would NEVER do that. I have also said that I do NOT ride on private property that is owned by another person, company, or whatever else.

I don't know if you are just plain stupid, or you just enjoy being a prick, but try and understand these three words.... PUBLIC. PARKING. LOT.

It just happens to be made out of dirt and has holes/ruts everywhere that are fun to bounce around in when it is muddy. For Christ's sake, I wasn't even doing over 15 miles an hour, doing donuts, running up on grass, or anything like that.

I just don't get what your deal is boss.
CrazEtooN is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
What is your deal man? Seriously!

It was a public PARKING LOT made out of dirt. I don't understand why you are giving me such a freaking hard time. I am NOT the guy in that picture, I would NEVER do that. I have also said that I do NOT ride on private property that is owned by another person, company, or whatever else.

I don't know if you are just plain stupid, or you just enjoy being a prick, but try and understand these three words.... PUBLIC. PARKING. LOT.

It just happens to be made out of dirt and has holes/ruts everywhere that are fun to bounce around in when it is muddy. For Christ's sake, I wasn't even doing over 15 miles an hour, doing donuts, running up on grass, or anything like that.

I just don't get what your deal is boss.
My "deal" is that you are a f'ing moron

why not take a tractor and tear up a paved parking lot? I mean it's public and all, so that must mean you can do anything you want. Hell, screw respecting anything that's not "private" or not yours.
paragon is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru
 
Duffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Shore, MA
Age: 57
Posts: 137
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
If it's not your property and you don't have permission, you resist, period.

Just because someone parks there, gives you no right to tear up the property. If you don't get that part, then sell your Jeep and don't muck it up for those who are responsible.

Quite frankly, I will and have reported idiots like this because of it's effect. We have enough trouble fighting to keep access to trails without childish idiots defining the stereotype of an off-roader as someone who thinks they can just drive anywhere they please

Seriously? No, Really?

Have you never driven down a dirt road and aimed for a puddle? Never? In a public parking lot, when raining, it would be near impossible to NOT drive through a mud puddle. I'm sorry if the OP nearly enjoyed it, save for the fact that the puddle was unexpectedly deep.
You are kidding... aren't you? If not, please feel free to report me, and anyone else driving on dirt in the rain on a public way.
I'm not angry, just a little amazed.
Duffy is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
My "deal" is that you are a f'ing moron

why not take a tractor and tear up a paved parking lot? I mean it's public and all, so that must mean you can do anything you want. Hell, screw respecting anything that's not "private" or not yours.
Alright, thank you, you have answered the question. You are both stupid and just enjoy being a prick. Have a nice day.
CrazEtooN is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
Alright, thank you, you have answered the question. You are both stupid and just enjoy being a prick. Have a nice day.
go educate yourself on land use issues and if you still feel the same way....

sell the f'cking Jeep and go buy a clue
paragon is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Wheeler
 
F2504x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Feedback: 0 reviews

I think we should find out this guys info and forward it to the owners of that parking lot and see what they think..hmmm I wonder just how much it is going to cost to fix the **** he tore up, i bet he changes his its just a parking lot attitude..
F2504x4 is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 1,793
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Seriously? No, Really?

Have you never driven down a dirt road and aimed for a puddle? Never? In a public parking lot, when raining, it would be near impossible to NOT drive through a mud puddle. I'm sorry if the OP nearly enjoyed it, save for the fact that the puddle was unexpectedly deep.
You are kidding... aren't you? If not, please feel free to report me, and anyone else driving on dirt in the rain on a public way.
I'm not angry, just a little amazed.
wake up.. m'kay

Quote:
I swung in there to do a few laps because it was raining and my Jeep was just too clean
try to draw analogies that are similar to the situation instead of attempting to make something up out of whole cloth

and yes, I've driven where I shouldn't have and tore up dirt parking lots.... when I was fifteen and stupid, 25 years ago and I didn't brag about it or tell stories about it
paragon is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Wheeler
 
F2504x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Feedback: 0 reviews

Oh BTW CrazEtooN keep on fawking with the users here and you will painfully learn that is the wrong thing to do....google "wenzled" and start reading...then come back here with your knee pads..
F2504x4 is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

Oh my ever loving God...

I DIDN'T TEAR ANYTHING UP!!

I am NOT the guy in that freaking picture. I mildly drove through the parking lot at like 10-15 mph going through the bumps and holes for about 5-10 minutes!!

I can't even understand where those of you that are attacking get the audacity to be so condescending. I didn't do anything for Christ's sake!
CrazEtooN is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
JKO Addict!
 
usmcdoc14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norfawk, va
Posts: 3,881
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
It was a public PARKING LOT made out of dirt.
how do you know? where is it located? is it labeled?
usmcdoc14 is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Wheeler
 
F2504x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
Oh my ever loving God...

I DIDN'T TEAR ANYTHING UP!!

I am NOT the guy in that freaking picture. I mildly drove through the parking lot at like 10-15 mph going through the bumps and holes for about 5-10 minutes!!

I can't even understand where those of you that are attacking get the audacity to be so condescending. I didn't do anything for Christ's sake!

Did you own the land the you was on ? was it public and open to legal off roading ? if not , then you are part of the problem, and at 23 years old you should know better, Listen to what has told to you...GO to the land use forum and start reading, and you will see why your catching crap over your opinions...
F2504x4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome