do I need a performance chip or programer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Feedback: 0 reviews
do I need a performance chip or programer

Hey can anybody out there tell me about performance chips or programers? I never have had one in my older TJ, but I would like a little more power out of this 3.8 in my 09 Saraha. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Jeeproper
jeeproper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 AM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

You didn't say whether or not if you've already done anything so I'll ask,have you freed up the intake and exhaust first? IE: cold air induction,or a simple drop in,and free flow exhaust? Off hand I would say first you do those I mentioned and if that isn't enough for you,then chip it,jmho.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Feedback: 0 reviews

I just bought a brute force cold air intake.....................but been workin and aint had time to install...........hope to this weekend. I think my next step is gonna be cat back system. Any ideas on which one?

Thanks
jeeproper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I've been running flowmaster 40 series for years on all of my 4x4's.It's what the local muffler shop carries.He did a muffler swap,from the stock one,to a 40 series for a $125.00.I also run a K&N dropin filter,no big deal but it does free up the breathing a lot along with the new muffler(in the stock location).It's a lot smaller then the stocker so there is little chance of me squashing it etc.Altogether I have about $178.00 invested

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Rock God
 
GOWREVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Around the corner
Age: 46
Posts: 649
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeproper View Post
I just bought a brute force cold air intake.....................but been workin and aint had time to install...........hope to this weekend. I think my next step is gonna be cat back system. Any ideas on which one?

Thanks

At first I did the magna flow, and it sounds like a neon. Not very cool. Later after some other things, I put in a glass pack (cherry bomb) much nicer, very throaty and deep, appropriate but not too loud. While you're at it do a relocation and free up some space in the rear for a Tuffy storage trunk. It replaces the factory dent you have in the back now with some real usable space. We relocated it to the driver side about mid way back, the muffler is right about between the driver and rear passenger (I have a 4 door), then it's a straight pipe all the way to the back and dumps just past the right rear shock.

Have fun with it..............

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GOWREVER; 03-28-2009 at 07:37 AM.
GOWREVER is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Feedback: 0 reviews

hey lohchief, thanks 4 the info. I just talked with a friend of mine he just put on a Banks cat back......sounds good but kinda pricey. I'm gonna save up 4 a while and do a little recon at the San Antonio 4 wheel parts store.
jeeproper is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeproper View Post
hey lohchief, thanks 4 the info. I just talked with a friend of mine he just put on a Banks cat back......sounds good but kinda pricey. I'm gonna save up 4 a while and do a little recon at the San Antonio 4 wheel parts store.
When all else fails,see what your local muffler shop can do for you,it don't cost anything but a few minutes,you may be surprised.I looked at all kinds of after market exhaust for the jk,you would think they were made of solid gold with the prices they charge

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Feedback: 0 reviews

lohchief
Yeah I think I will go by the muffler shop and see what he can do for me. I'm trying to figure out how to put some pics of my Saraha on here............... maybe I'll get done pretty soon...........later
jeeproper is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Rock God
 
afoulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 783
Feedback: 0 reviews

I've heard some rumors that Superchips is working on a programer for the JK's and will have more features than the Hypertech programmers. If you wanna go that route, I would hold out for that one.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
afoulk is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Feedback: 0 reviews

thanks afoulk..... I'll try to check out superchips.
jeeproper is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 59
Posts: 127
Feedback: 0 reviews

I find that the engine is just about worthless below 2K RPM. This probably doesn't show to much on the auto but on the manual is becomes painfully obvious real quick. This is usually caused by a lean condition that is required to meet the EPA standards. Unfortunately, freeing up the air flow on either end just makes this condition worse. Every motorcycle I have owned in the past 12 years or so has required rejetting or some kind of device to reprogram the fuel injection in order to get the fuel air ratio right. I guess I'm going to have to do this dance with my Jeep as well. I have used Power Commanders on my motorcycles for years. They have lots of maps you can use or you can make your own. Do any of the products available (or soon to be available) for Jeeps allow you do do this?

Thanks
Andy
woodys3b is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
I find that the engine is just about worthless below 2K RPM. This probably doesn't show to much on the auto but on the manual is becomes painfully obvious real quick. This is usually caused by a lean condition that is required to meet the EPA standards. Unfortunately, freeing up the air flow on either end just makes this condition worse. Every motorcycle I have owned in the past 12 years or so has required rejetting or some kind of device to reprogram the fuel injection in order to get the fuel air ratio right. I guess I'm going to have to do this dance with my Jeep as well. I have used Power Commanders on my motorcycles for years. They have lots of maps you can use or you can make your own. Do any of the products available (or soon to be available) for Jeeps allow you do do this?

Thanks
Andy
I have been running aftermarket (flowmasters)exhaust and free flowing filters since 03 and I have found that the engines computer compensates for the increased flow and mixture adjustment(using the o2 sensor) without a problem.On any carburated bike (I build only harleys so that is where my experience is) the stock carbs haven't come with adjustable mixture control for years,all of the fuel injected models constantly are adjusting the mixture from cold morning starts to high altitude driving with no problem,UNTIL you free up the intake and exhaust and then they could stand to be remapped....after the intake and exhaust mods,imho.Doing the remapping or programming before the intake and exhaust mods doesn't get a whole lot done for the money you spend,and you end up doing them anyways.




Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 59
Posts: 127
Feedback: 0 reviews

All Japanees carbs are adjustible. You just pull out the main or pilot jet and replace it with a different one.

I have an 08 FLHS. It ran so hot you could hardly sit on it if you weren't going over 40 mph. It also surged badly at low throttle settings like when in stop and go traffic or a parking lot. The first thing I did was add a high flow filter and PC III. I kept the stock pipes because I like the sound they make. The PC III richened it up and made it an intirely different bike. Easy to ride slow and the heat problem was gone. I don't care much about HP numbers, especially on a Harley. I just want it to run right and it seems that with today's emissions standards, they are leaned out so badly that they are barely driveable. So, you may not gain much in terms of horse power or torque by messing with the FI map on a stock engine, but you sure can make it behave a lot better. From what I can tell, the Jeep suffers from the same issues. Sure wish I could just open up my lap top, change a few numbers here and there and load it into the Jeep and see what happens. I'll bet I could have it running right in a couple of hours.
woodys3b is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
All Japanees carbs are adjustible. You just pull out the main or pilot jet and replace it with a different one.

I have an 08 FLHS. It ran so hot you could hardly sit on it if you weren't going over 40 mph. It also surged badly at low throttle settings like when in stop and go traffic or a parking lot. The first thing I did was add a high flow filter and PC III. I kept the stock pipes because I like the sound they make. The PC III richened it up and made it an intirely different bike. Easy to ride slow and the heat problem was gone. I don't care much about HP numbers, especially on a Harley. I just want it to run right and it seems that with today's emissions standards, they are leaned out so badly that they are barely driveable. So, you may not gain much in terms of horse power or torque by messing with the FI map on a stock engine, but you sure can make it behave a lot better. From what I can tell, the Jeep suffers from the same issues. Sure wish I could just open up my lap top, change a few numbers here and there and load it into the Jeep and see what happens. I'll bet I could have it running right in a couple of hours.
Maybe jap carbs on jap bikes are adjustable,but not for over 20 years or more on harleys.You have to do some drilling to remove plugs to do a jet change,but you also need to adjust the mixture and that you can't do with the stock kehnien(sp) carbs.Even back in the day when evos first came out,most of our customers had us pull off the garbage kiehnens and put on the then new S&S super E carbs.Jet em right,warm em up,and dail in the fuel/air mixture and your golden forever.Being an outlaw shop the factory would void the warranties on new bikes so we didn't work on them too much.All of the bikes we'd build for our customers would get super E's or the larger G's depending on engine size.We finaly closed our shop going on three years ago and retired.Back even further harley always used carbs that were fully adjustable,but some without a accelerator pump.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 59
Posts: 127
Feedback: 0 reviews

Yep, that's what I meant to say. Jap carbs on jap bikes. I know very little about Harley carbs. I do know how to tune an engine to run right though and it pisses me off when I can't mess with it myself. I want a PC III on my Jeep or something that allows me to do that a PC III allowes me to do. So, does anyone make something like this?
woodys3b is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Yep, that's what I meant to say. Jap carbs on jap bikes. I know very little about Harley carbs. I do know how to tune an engine to run right though and it pisses me off when I can't mess with it myself. I want a PC III on my Jeep or something that allows me to do that a PC III allowes me to do. So, does anyone make something like this?
Andy,I don't know what a PC III is.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 59
Posts: 127
Feedback: 0 reviews

It's a Power Commander III. Made by Dynojet. It is a small electronic box that plugs in between the electronic control module (ECM) and the fuel injectors. It takes the signals that tell the fuel injectors how long to spray and modifies them to spray longer if you want a richer mixture and shorter if you want a leaner mixture. It comes with software that you load on your laptop which allows you to change the mixture. There is a spread sheet with throttle position on one axis and RPM on the other. For each throttle position/RPM combination, you can modify the injectors to do something different than what the ECM is telling them to do. It's like adjusting a carb with your laptop! The best part is you can install it and take it to a Dynojet dynomometer center and have them do a dyno run with an O2 sniffer to make a map that is perfect for your setup. Also, people trade maps on line so you can try maps that work for other people if you don't want to make one yourself or pay for a dyno run. It works open loop so you have to disconnect your O2 sensors. However, the latest technology is heading towards using wide band O2 sensors with these things.
woodys3b is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

WOW......I hope your taking notes jeeproper I would have to say for myself that it's more involved then I'll ever do.To tell the truth,I am so happy with the exhaust and slight intake mods that I've done.I don't really need anymore,and doubt if I do much more along those lines.I am waiting for another diesel,this time a jk diesel.When that comes out I'll get one,do the intake and exhaust routine,maybe upgrade the tires,although I'm a fan of goodyears so maybe not,and be done with it.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 04-02-2009, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 55
Feedback: 0 reviews

I think I'm gonna just go with the new cold air intake and exhaust for now. Oh yeah I wanted BFG KM2 but they were not available in 33/12.50 15 when I bought my new wheels, so I bought Hankook MT. Does anyone know anything about the Hankooks. I like the looks ...hope they last for a while.
jeeproper is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
JR
Rock God
 
JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 541
Feedback: 0 reviews

The only realistic way to get anything out of the crappy 3.8L JK motor is to supercharge it or scrap it for a HEMI.

Exhausts and Intakes will just make noise. I've had exhaust systems, intakes, and tb spacers on every JK we've had now (3 of them) and you just aren't getting any power out of it without spending the big bucks on a blower.

PS - Hankook makes a great tire, IMO

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
JR is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

All that stuff is fine if one doesn't care about any kind of factory warranty,and some of us have the lifetime warranty.I have enough power to do what I want with the few inexpensive things I did.Were I to do an engine swap,I would more then likely go with the 4.7L.A lot less expensive and would more then do the job.Hemi's are nice,but not the only answer to a V-8 swap.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome