Dealer Scheduled Maintenance, and the manure spreader! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Dealer Scheduled Maintenance, and the manure spreader!

I took my Jeep in for a couple warrantee items, and an oil change. It's coming up on two years old, and only 18k miles on it. The dealer called to let me know that it's past it's 15k mile scheduled service, which requires differential fluid change ($180!); it's yearly fuel system check-up, which requires a new fuel filter, and cleaning the throttle body ($120); and servicing the tires with nitrogen ($40). I thanked him for the heads-up, and declined the service.

Has anyone else heard of this from their dealers? Every 5th oil change you should flush the differentials, which means the oil change will cost you over $200!?

Sometimes, you can smell the manure spreader before it gets too close.

Tinman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Rock God

its funny I got the same call stating I was due for my 15K (comming from the same people that say my oil change is due every 3K) I informed them that the manual said oil change every 5K and there was no 15K service, there is an 18K where the diff levels are "checked". Ill go find my manual and see what else it says but check yours too. Seems sad the dealer doesnt even know what the manual states as far as maint intervals.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #3 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

my understanding is if you skip the scheduled service you could lose your lifetime drivetrain warranty. I am not 100% sure though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Rock God

the warranty manual is pretty vague about this one

Page 22 3.8 "Your warranties can also be restricted by Chrysler. Chrysler may restrict the warranty on your vehicle if the vehicle is not properly maintained, or if the vehicle is abused or neglected, and the abuse or neglect interferes with the proper functioning of the vehicle. If the warranty is restricted, coverage may be denied or subject to approval by Chrysler before covered repairs are performed"

page 47 9.2 "Chrysler recommends that you return to the dealer from whom you bought your vehicle for all maintenance service both during and after the warranty periods. Although you can get warranty service from any dealer who sells your particular make, returning to your selling dealer will help ensure that all your service needs are met and that you're (read we're) completely satisfied. . . . . .

Doesn't flat out say that all the maintenance HAS to be done at the dealers, definatly open to interpretation.

The 18K maintenance says:

Change engine oil and engine oil filter
rotate tires
inspect brake lines and hoses
check manual transmission fluid level
inspect front and rear axel fluid**

**Change IF using for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing

post #5 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When you do your own service,diffs included,keep a record of the mileage you did it at as well as the reciept for the materials used.Staple them together and keep it in a folder.Should questions arise for possible lack of maint,pull out the folder with all the proof required.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #6 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Rock God

the only one Im missing for is the 12K, but at 13K I got a new engine put in by the dealer so I hope they have that on their records, if not I have to go reciept diggin. Prety sure I got oil, filter (oil and air) and diff fluid replaced tho. I wonder if they'll make me change the diff fluid again in 200 miles when I hit my 18K

post #7 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

here is two things that happened to me that I thought was funny...

when I had my engine replaced, I was charged for 3 things
parts, labor and an oil change, lol. You would think that would have been included, lol

another time, I had an oil change, the tech told me my diff oil was looking relay dark and recommended a diff fluid change. I asked him to show me. He looked at me with a blank look on his face. Thats when I told him I had just changed the fluid in it just before comming in, lol f'n scammers
post #8 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I was half way out the door to the garage, to find my manuals, when I remembered that the dealer still has my Jeep! It went in for a second try at fixing a starting problem (problem being the lack of consistent starting), and "loose" steering that has a "bump". I think nitrogen in the tires should be the least of their concerns!

I figured this is a dealer ploy to drum up numbers in their service area. I would think most people wouldn't even question them. "Oh no! Not my Fitzer valve! Well, if you say it needs replacing, we better do it!".
post #9 of 46 Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When i speced out my jeep,the dealer said they found exactly what I wanted and there would be a $500.00 charge to bring it in.I told them,and these are my exact words," F#ck you man,for 500 bux I'll go get the F#ckin' thing myself".The look on their face,not to mention some customers faces was priceless.The salesman came back and told me they would "waive" the fee.I asked him where is my jeep coming from,his answer was "I don't know".There where 34 miles on my JK when I picked it up.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #10 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Wheeler

Well..A car salesman is a car salesman no matter what vehicle that are selling. And not all dealers shops are trying to kill ya with a needless service like nitrogen in the tires. Just most of em.

The dealership is required to inspect your jeep once every 5k miles for the warrenty to remain in tact. nothing else. They don't have to perfom any service at all..Just inspect every 5k. The oil change takes care of this for me. This is what I have been told from DC on the warranty.
post #11 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Rock God

I thought the mandatory inspection was every 5 years

post #12 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Rock God

They mentioned that your fuel fitler should be changed too....isn't the filter in the tank? I didn't think these had an external filter that you could change.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #13 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Wheeler

I thought the mandatory maintanance was every 5 years also
post #14 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountrymac View Post
I thought the mandatory maintanance was every 5 years also
It's been a while since i had that conversation, but I coulda swore he said 5k miles, because I was thinking that was a whole lot of time at the dealership. I could be wrong..it might have been every 5 years.
post #15 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Granite Guru

Mine says 5 years. In 5 years, I plan to have so much changed that it would void any warranty anyway.

Did you guys actually read what that lifetime warranty covered? Driveline hard parts only. Every gasket, sensor, filter, and wire on that new engine you're expecting 10 years from now will be coming out of your pocket. Probably labor too.

It might be a good thing for street Jeeps, but I doubt I'll ever be able or willing to use it.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #16 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Gasoline Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission: Transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; all seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME

Four-Wheel Drive: Transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

post #17 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
They mentioned that your fuel fitler should be changed too....isn't the filter in the tank? I didn't think these had an external filter that you could change.
You know I searched through 10 pages on a google search with no answer to this, even tried looking for a picture of the fuel filter and could not find one. Anyone that knows please chime in on this one. Im curious too.

post #18 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRShiN View Post
Anyone that knows please chime in on this one. Im curious too.
There are two fuel filters, one on the bottom of the fuel pump and one inside it. The fuel pump is in the tank. The fuel filters do not require maintenance and should only be replaced if a diagnostic procedure says to do so.

Any dealer that says they should be routinely serviced/replaced is either a/ not knowledgeable enough to be trusted with your vehicle, or b/ thinks you are dumb enough to pay for something that does not need doing. Either way they should be avoided.
post #19 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
another time, I had an oil change, the tech told me my diff oil was looking relay dark and recommended a diff fluid change. I asked him to show me. He looked at me with a blank look on his face. Thats when I told him I had just changed the fluid in it just before comming in, lol f'n scammers
Amazing isn't it

We can't live without dealers, but they sure make it hard to give them any money as they so many are just blatant thieves.
post #20 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
The fuel filters do not require maintenance and should only be replaced if a diagnostic procedure says to do so.

Any dealer that says they should be routinely serviced/replaced is either a/ not knowledgeable enough to be trusted with your vehicle, or b/ thinks you are dumb enough to pay for something that does not need doing. Either way they should be avoided.
Very true, thanx. Just checked the maintinance schedule and no where in there at any mileage does it mention the fuel filter.

post #21 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Agreed on all points. My dealer also has the 3k oil change, 12k differential service intervals. It's obviously more profitable for them to service more often regardless what the manual says.

When they wanted to give me the 12k differential service for $200+ I said no thanks. Changed them myself even though the manual didn't call for it yet. I keep all my receipts and do all maintainence myself at the time specified.

And yes the lifetime warranty requires the vehicle inspection every five years.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #22 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 PM

I used to work for a dealer as a technician. You don't even want to know the half of how shady things can be. The worst part is, it is the fault of the warranty companies and dealer management that make it this way.

I was a dealer tech for about 5 years total. 99% of the dealerships out there are on a flat-rate system for their techs. What this means is that if a job pays 3 hours by the book, the tech gets 3 hours for the job, regardless of whether or not the job takes 1 hour or 12. Now, that being the case, in the 5 years I was at my dealership, I watched the dealer general manager drop the pay time on every single "by-the-book" job we had. When I started, brake jobs had a flat time of 1.5 hours, when I left, they paid .7 hours with an additional .3 if the rotors were machined. Timing belts paid 3.5 hours when I started, and by the time I left, they paid 2.7 hours.

These are small drops, but they really hurt your paycheck at the end of the pay period when they add up. Especially during slow times...

Now, couple that with reduced warranty pay times on jobs that are covered by warranty, and you have an extremely hostile working environment. The result is techs that are damn near forced to be "shady" to make a real living. Here is where the dividing line is though... Techs with a conscious will do their "scamming" on the warranty company itself, so the customer never has to pay a dime for it. Techs without such morals will do it to "customer pay" jobs as well.

The people that do it to customer pay jobs are the scum of the tech world and should have their right to fix cars or trucks in a professional environment revoked. It turned my stomach when I would watch techs make a recommendation on a customer pay ticket that would set the customer back for over $1k, and laugh about it when they never did the work because the car didn't need it in the first place.

I personally used to do "tack on" items. For example, if a car came in for something under warranty, I would do the job needed to fix the problem, but would "tack on" additional work items that were related to the problem. I wouldn't actually do these additional items because they weren't needed, but the customer wasn't actually paying for them. Yes, it was still wrong, and I never felt right about it, which is a big part of why I left the technician field behind me. However, it was pretty much a freaking requirement to even make an 80 hour paycheck every two weeks.

In other words, if your tech ever makes a recommendation and you are actually paying out of pocket for it, request a walk out to the shop to see the problem item first hand. Give it more than a quick once over too, because a smart dirty-tech will smear dirty oil, coolant, or whatever else is needed on the area to make it look bad, even if it isn't.
post #23 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Granite Guru

OK Marshin, you got me on the gaskets. I stand corrected.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #24 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

nothing on my jeep has the factory "lifetime" warranty.

As for being honest in business. It can be done. My dealership NEVER suggests anything be done, they just do what I ask.

I am opening an auto center in the Disney area, and will ALWAYS be 100% ethical in my dealings, and so will every person that wants to stay employed by me.

Yes it is rare, but so is platinum, and there is plenty out there if you look.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #25 of 46 Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Hmmm, my new JK is at the dealer now. When I picked it up from the dealer when I bought it, the stearing wheel was ****ed slightly to the left. I took it to them because it was annoying me. After doing an alignment, they tell me my tierod is bent.

I'm not saying it couldn't be, but nothing has changed in it's driving habits or the steering wheel position since I've bought it...

Makes me wonder. They are covering it under warranty though so I'm not too concerned, other than I'm without my JK until tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode