FIRE - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

FIRE

i dont no if this post went through but has any one in this forum had there jeep catch fire and does it happen to the rubcions ive heard it happens to the x and the sahara auto only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I have yet to hear of any rigs catching on fire. What have you heard about the auto x?????
post #3 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

oh ya lots have been on fire my friends jeep wrangler x caught on fire and the fire fighter told him it only happens with the auto trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

i will post pics of my friends jeep
post #5 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

wow, I am surprised to not have heard anything. Do you happen to know what exactly started the fire?
post #6 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

these are the pics of his jeep
Attached Images

post #7 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

something to do with the auto trans
post #8 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

and ive seen a green sahara on fire to i just want to no if it happens to the rubcions
post #9 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Rock God

I know there were like 3 or 4 on JK-forum back in the day when I was there and just recently someone posted on JeepForum their auto, STOCK, 2 door JK burnt as well on the road, driving just a few miles....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #10 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

i just want to know if it happens to the rubcion cuz i only heard it happen to the x and the sahara not the rubcion
post #11 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-jk View Post
i just want to know if it happens to the rubcion cuz i only heard it happen to the x and the sahara not the rubcion
The Rubicon is not more fire resistant than any of ther other models. I've heard multiple theories and most go back and further between the auto tranny and the Evap can., both of which are shared between all models.
post #12 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Garage

There is speculation that the automatic Unlimited.. X, Sahara, Rubicon catch fire because of overheating transmission which spews fluid on to the exhaust. I don't think it is rampant, but I do think something is up.

There was another one up in flames just last week posted on JeepForum.

Also, after you have been wheeling or even just off the paved road in tall grass, the grass can get wadded in your skid plates later catching fire by your exhaust. This is true with almost all off road capable vehicles.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #13 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

I think there will be a recall...there's also speculation about fuel lines and proximity to the exhaust/skid plate.

But its definitely an auto thing and definitely happens to rubicons.
post #14 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Rock God

Just get a good insurance so when it happens you can get a new one

JKOutcast Member
post #15 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Granite Guru

I was pretty convinced I needed a fire extinguisher before this, but I think between all the JK sites this is about the 10th time I've seen something about one going up in flames, so I'm definitely getting one.

Anyone have any suggestions on extinguishers, preferably ones that will mount to the roll bars in the back.
post #16 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

I have heard of 7 now 8 catching fire all have been 4 door unlimiteds. My theory is like Hitmoney stated the trans is overheating but if you look below the trans dip stick the fuel supply and return lines cross just above the exhaust. So what I think is happening is the fluid is coming out of the dipstick or the vent (both in the same area), dripping on the exhaust, catching fire and melting the (plastic) fuel lines. This is why I added a trans cooler a long time ago.

|
|
post #17 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
I was pretty convinced I needed a fire extinguisher before this, but I think between all the JK sites this is about the 10th time I've seen something about one going up in flames, so I'm definitely getting one.

Anyone have any suggestions on extinguishers, preferably ones that will mount to the roll bars in the back.
The only problem is most people that this has happened to have stated as soon as they stopped moving the fire spread rapidly. So it is probably best to just worry about yourself and passengers.

|
|
post #18 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

well if i put a trans cooler will it help alot and with it avoid my warrenty
post #19 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
well if i put a trans cooler will it help alot and with it avoid my warrenty
sure it will help and I would like to think it would not void your warranty.

|
|
post #20 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

cuz i asked the dealer if i could put 1 and they said i already have 1 cuz i have the tow package with my jeep
post #21 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Garage

Here is a 2 door that just went up.. and discussion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734993

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #22 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
cuz i asked the dealer if i could put 1 and they said i already have 1 cuz i have the tow package with my jeep
The only one is built in to the radiator. Mine has the tow package and no external cooler came with it.

|
|
post #23 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

oh ok sooo why doesnt any 1 complain to the dealer or does someone have to get hurt or die in this im surprise no has done anything yet or have a recall on this
post #24 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
oh ok sooo why doesnt any 1 complain to the dealer or does someone have to get hurt or die in this im surprise no has done anything yet or have a recall on this
Bingo.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #25 of 67 Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

have any of u guys complained
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode