Tire sensor won't turn off. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tire sensor won't turn off.

I just got my 2012 4 door rubicon and I am running 35 toyo tires. These tires came off my 2010 jk. Anyway, I only have 150 miles on the new jeep and the low tire sensor went off. I was told by my mechanic that I should set the tire pressure to what the recommended tire pressure is inside the door which reads 35 psi cold. I filled all 4 tires up to 35 and the sensor light is still on. Any ideas why the light will not turn off? Is there a reset for the 2012 jks?

2012 JK Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Wheeler

Did you try driving it around for awhile? I would.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes, I have been driving it and it still stays on.

2012 JK Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Dumb question but did you purchase and install the 35's or did they come with the jeep when purchased?
Do the 35's have TPMS sensors in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes, the sensors were installed and the tires came off my 2010 jk

2012 JK Rubicon
post #6 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Wheeler

Garage

What about the spare tire? The JK monitors for five tires...
post #7 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That I did not know!

2012 JK Rubicon
post #8 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Rock God

Yes all five have a sensor, shop may have ruined one if they had a dumb tech.

I would go back and have them do a relearn it only take 2mins.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duexmachina View Post
That I did not know!
Set the spare to 35psi and drive it around for a day. It should reset but it does take a while.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Rock God

and if im not mistaken factory spec is 37? But 35 should be close enough to the range to keep it off.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by relayer4u View Post
What about the spare tire? The JK monitors for five tires...
Never heard this before.

I only had TPMS sensors installed in 4 of my wheels, left off the spare. Never had a TPMS light come on until I rotated my spare in.

Fixed that by disabling TPMS with my Superchips, not an option with 11's and 12's.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #12 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Wheeler

I had the same problem. Pump them up to 40+ and they will go off. then you can lower it to the recompended tire pressure

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
post #13 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Yup I was wrong, the JK only monitors the 4 tires that are rotating, not the spare.

The OP must have a bad sensor or dead battery in one of the mounted wheels.

Sorry for the bad info!

post #14 of 26 Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Wheeler

We had this same problem. If you turn the key to the on position then back off a few times, it should shut off.

post #15 of 26 Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Rock God

my 2010 seems to monitor all 5. Once got a nail and slow leak, changed out the tire, put the leaking tire on the tailgate, filled it with air and in 3 days the TPMS light came on. Checked all 4 tires on the ground and all were good, the spare went flat. Filled it up and the light went off. I run low PSI when on the beach so I am always 'testing' TPMS. The TPMS on mine triggers the light at anything less than 28PSI, I have never adjusted the setting.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #16 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Granite Guru

My 2012 JKU monitors all five, but let's up if the tire reaches zero! I also found that 35 PSI wasn't enough. Going higher than needed (as another member suggested) does the trick. I only needed 37PSI to turn it off with my new 33s.

post #17 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Rock God

Are your tires balanced with weights or beads? Those balance beads sometimes get caught up in them and turn the light on.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
post #18 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Wheeler

my 2010 does this often i air all 5 tires up to 40lbs and drive about a mile, and resets. then i air back down to 35.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Banned

Good thread.

I have the same thing happening right now on my 09. Running 33" duratracs and keep all 5 tires inflated to 35psi. Might have to push it to 40psi to see if that works.

post #20 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Wheeler

Garage

OK then, I was right the first time, at least for a 2012!

From the manual:

- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Light

Each tire, including the spare (if provided), should be checked monthly, when cold and inflated to the inflation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label. (If your vehicle has tires of a different size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label, you should determine the proper tire inflation pressure for those tires.)
As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that illuminates a low tire pressure telltale when one or more of your tires is significantly under-inflated. Accordingly, when the low tire pressure telltale illuminates, you should stop and check your tires as soon as possible, and inflate them to the proper pressure. Driving on a significantly under-inflated tire causes the tire to overheat and can lead to tire failure. Under-inflation also reduces fuel efficiency and tire tread life, and may affect the vehicle’s handling and stopping ability.
IF THE LIGHT STARTS FLASHING INDICATING A LOW TIRE PRESSURE, ADJUST THE AIR PRESSURE IN THE LOW TIRE TO THE AIR PRESSURE SHOWN ON THE VEHICLE PLACARD OR TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE LABEL LOCATED ON THE DRIVER'S DOOR. NOTE: AFTER INFLATION, THE VEHICLE MAY NEED TO BE DRIVEN FOR 20 MINUTES BEFORE THE FLASHING LIGHT WILL TURN OFF.
Please note that the TPMS is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver’s responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale.
Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue each time the vehicle is restarted as long as the malfunction exists.
When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle, to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.

post #21 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Good thread.

I have the same thing happening right now on my 09. Running 33" duratracs and keep all 5 tires inflated to 35psi. Might have to push it to 40psi to see if that works.
Perfect example of every rig being different, my 08 has 35" Duratracs and I run em at 28 all the time with no light, no procal. If its really cold in the morning I have had the light on only to shut back off a few miles down the road

08 2dr JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
All BJ’s are not the same man… I am sure you have had a good and a bad BJ in your time.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine goes off everytime I start my Jeep. I deal with it. Hahahah.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #23 of 26 Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Drove like a bat outa hell the other day trying catch up with my GF cause she had my phone and didn't know..long story short drive super fast and they turn off! Only to turn back on two days latter in traffic grrr

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #24 of 26 Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to isolate a TPMS malfunction. I have an '11 Wrangler. I got new tires earlier today, the same Goodyear Wrangler 17" SR-A as the originals. The TPMS light is blinking and then steady on just like the manual says to indicate a malfunction. Might Mister Tire have installed the new tires wrong? They gave me 3 new new tires and I am using the unused spare. One of the worn ones is now the spare. I have restarted a few times and have driven for 30 minutes since getting the new tires. Just be patient?

Thanks

From the Manual:

Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue each time the vehicle is restarted as long as the malfunction exists.
When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle, to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mrkeefer

quick question. did you put new sensors in when you switched wheels? i'm not sure if a '10 tpms will work on newer jk's. i have a '11 i put on new wheels and 37's and no light. i dont run my spare atm. as some one stated above air up to 40psi cylce the ignition and it should be ok. you could also get a AEV procal and lower the psi setting or even disable it completely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in