Driveshaft throwin grease. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Driveshaft throwin grease.

Just noticed while changing my oil today that my front driveshaft at the transfer case CV joint, there was a scant amount of grease thrown about in a circular pattern. Not much, but enough to get my worried that I need a new front DS already....only at 28K, 2.5 inch lift/35s. Had the lift since June, 35s went on about 3 or 4 months ago.

Now how long do I have until it is shot? I assume that this is sure sign of eventual failure...or am I wrong about that?

Next question, when people go with aftermarket DS, does the rear typically take priority considering it is rear wheel drive? If it is the case that I need a new front shaft Ill probably just save for a Woods and call it a day..

Thanks

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Good question, I put some 4.5 springs in mine and it didn't take long for mine to start grease slinging. I'm wondering how long it's gonna last.

You smell that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Rock God

All depends on how long it has been doing it and how you drive, but I would order a new one ASAP. Called Woods as soon as mine did that.

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Rock God

Well I've been through 3 stock drive shafts. Anywhere from 20-400 miles from my experience depending on your driving. I would pull it now and order a new one. Not woods tho. Unless you want it to look like mine after 6 months

sent using the dark side of the force

check my site out

post #5 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms5490renegade View Post
Well I've been through 3 stock drive shafts. Anywhere from 20-400 miles from my experience depending on your driving. I would pull it now and order a new one. Not woods tho. Unless you want it to look like mine after 6 months

Did you sand it befor you installed it ? Man my woods didn't look like that after 30k...

2012 Unlimited Rubicon
post #6 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Rock God

I agree^^^^ WTF? Mine doesnt look anything like that!!

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Ok so what should I be out the look out for? What kinda noises, etc etc....

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Just a few specs of grease is not a big deal, when it tears the boot you need to be concerned. You can also repack the grease in the CV joints of the stock shaft [I did a full write-up on that].

You will certainly get vibrations before a complete failure. Unfortunately with how many vibes and wiggles you get with a lifted JK at mud terrains, it's not always obvious.

My shaft squeaked out grease when I first put a budget boost on it....about 40,000 miles ago. Still on stock shafts with about 3.5" of lift on a 2dr.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Just a few specs of grease is not a big deal, when it tears the boot you need to be concerned. You can also repack the grease in the CV joints of the stock shaft [I did a full write-up on that].

You will certainly get vibrations before a complete failure. Unfortunately with how many vibes and wiggles you get with a lifted JK at mud terrains, it's not always obvious.

My shaft squeaked out grease when I first put a budget boost on it....about 40,000 miles ago. Still on stock shafts with about 3.5" of lift on a 2dr.
Thats reassuring. Ill keep en eye on er and watch for any vibrations. With driveline vibrations, is it a strong, shake your whole Jeep kinda thing, or is it a more subtle, low tone vib felt in your feet as you drive? I have never experienced it before I want to know what to look out for....

post #10 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

So most here would agree that woods is the way to go?

post #11 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubicon View Post
Did you sand it befor you installed it ? Man my woods didn't look like that after 30k...
mine has been on for like 6k

check my site out

post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
So most here would agree that woods is the way to go?
There are many brands out there. Personally, when it comes time for me to get driveshafts, I will buy locally. If there are issues, which every driveshaft company tends to, you will have to pull it and drop $40? every time. If it's a vibration, broken, joint, whatever. Locally you can stop by and get it fixed on the spot, it can also be measured accurately to your rig versus a "it should be right" measurement.

However I think you are quite a ways away from needing a shaft. It's not quite one of those things I look forward to spending money on, so I maintain my stockers.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #13 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Had the same thing happen after my regear. The tech didn't install my pinion seal correctly and axle fluid ended up spraying in a circular pattern on my undercarriage. So my guess is: blown or badly installed pinion seal.

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
post #14 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
Had the same thing happen after my regear. The tech didn't install my pinion seal correctly and axle fluid ended up spraying in a circular pattern on my undercarriage. So my guess is: blown or badly installed pinion seal.
gear oil and the grease from the u joint are different

check my site out

post #15 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
There are many brands out there. Personally, when it comes time for me to get driveshafts, I will buy locally. If there are issues, which every driveshaft company tends to, you will have to pull it and drop $40? every time. If it's a vibration, broken, joint, whatever. Locally you can stop by and get it fixed on the spot, it can also be measured accurately to your rig versus a "it should be right" measurement.

However I think you are quite a ways away from needing a shaft. It's not quite one of those things I look forward to spending money on, so I maintain my stockers.
Understandable. But with Tom Woods, you measure from flange to flange and give them the measurements, prior to purchase. so wouldnt that essentially lead to the same outcome?

post #16 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Understandable. But with Tom Woods, you measure from flange to flange and give them the measurements, prior to purchase. so wouldnt that essentially lead to the same outcome?
Static or flexed measurements? That may be the same as one reason why I don't want a mail order shaft. Warranty is the other big one, and yes they do get warrantied.

Sent via paper airplane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode