AEV Has thrown a wrench in my suspension plans - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

AEV Has thrown a wrench in my suspension plans

I just saw that they have announced the 2.5" Dualsport System. I was all but sure I was going with the RK 2.5 Max Travel system, now I am wondering about AEV. Anyone running AEV care to comment? I know no one will have the new AEV 2.5 yet, but what are the expert opinions on AEV? I have read recently that the RK 2.5 Max is a very stiff ride. Come on, spend my money, I am ready. Looking for suspension on my 2012 JKU Rubicon, and it is a DD.

Thanks, my head is now really spinning with options,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Do you wheel often? You're in Colorado so I'd assume you see LOTS of rocks! Just my opinion, but for the wheeling there I'd go Rock Krawler without question.

Greg
post #3 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Wheeler

Ive had the AEV premium for about a year now. I do lot's of wheeling and it is excellent!

2011 Unimited - Almost stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Nothing wrong with AEV but that comment about RK riding stiff is far from the truth. They must have some horrible shocks on it for it to ride badly.

I love the way mine rides and performs on the road and off.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I love my AEV! Best on road ride and handling available in a Jeep and yes I use my Jeep in the rocks!

BTW I have 4 available should be in stock soon $899

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I run a Rock Krawler suspension and its fantastic! I pitch for them all the time on this forum. Having said that, AEV quality is totally top notch. Just off the cuff I'd say that you can't go wrong with either setup. And there are other great brands also - you know, just to complicate the dissucsion

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Rock God

I'm running 3.5" SC and its been great.

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #8 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Rock God

Of those 2 I would go with Rock Krawler. Since your in the springs you may want to talk to Co4Lo on this forum about a RK kit. But both are good kits.

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #9 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Rock God

The best thing you can do is to go for a ride with someone who has the lift you are looking at installing on your rig.

Both the RK and AEV kits ride very nice! I have the AEV 3.5SC kit on my 2012and love it.

keep in mind you will need the AFE y pipe so you don;t wreck your front driveshaft. if you are going to larger tires, the ProCal works well. I had to do some fine tuing to get mine dialed in, but all is good now. I'm running the stock 410 gears with 35's and happy with the power. I don;t plan to change gears at this time.

Since the 2.5" aev kit is so new, I doubt there is anyone in the Springs area with that yet. There are quite a few of us with the 3.5 and 4.5 kits that you could check out.

2016 JKU
post #10 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Nothing wrong with AEV but that comment about RK riding stiff is far from the truth. They must have some horrible shocks on it for it to ride badly.

I love the way mine rides and performs on the road and off.

Marcus
X2... I have had RK in the past and the lift rides really nice.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

For daily driver handling, you cannot beat the AEV, but you will not be disappointed with either. I have used AEV 3.5 and 4.5, and ordered some 2.5's yesterday--will be able to give firsthand feedback in about 2 weeks!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #12 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

You are kind of comparing apples and oranges. Both fruits are good. It all depends in your taste.

The AEV system comes with no front axle corrections at all. Nothing to slide the axle back to its proper place (i.e track bar or relocation bracket) and nothing to adjust the caster. You will be a little light on caster at 2.5" of lift up front. But, like you said, they have not been out that long so who knows how much lift height you are really going to get. AEV usually runs a little tall as do we.

In the rear, they offer no rear pinion angle correction.

The Max. Travel System is much different. We correct for all these items as well as include new stainless steel brake lines for improve firmness in braking and to account for more axle travel.

The lower control arms we provide have a high clearance feature built in them and we also provide you with sway bar disconnects.

With us, bump stops are options as well as shocks.

Like we said, it is apples and oranges. Good Luck with making your decision. We are 100% confident, that you will like the ride quality, handling and off-road performance of that system...

RK
post #13 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Rock God

The shocks will determine how the vehicle will ride. Get crappy shocks like ProComp and it will ride harsh. Get good shocks like Bilstein and it will ride better then stock. I run the RK 2.5" kit with Bilstein 5100 shocks and it rides a LOT better then stock. I'm in Ohio and deal with potholes, ruts, sunken sewer drains and train tracks every day. The Bilstein absorb the bumps much better then the stock shocks ever could. And they keep the vehicle planted when making a turn or changing lanes.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock Krawler Synergy JKS LoD Goodyear
post #14 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
The shocks will determine how the vehicle will ride. Get crappy shocks like ProComp and it will ride harsh. Get good shocks like Bilstein and it will ride better then stock. I run the RK 2.5" kit with Bilstein 5100 shocks and it rides a LOT better then stock. I'm in Ohio and deal with potholes, ruts, sunken sewer drains and train tracks every day. The Bilstein absorb the bumps much better then the stock shocks ever could. And they keep the vehicle planted when making a turn or changing lanes.
I would disagree with you slightly on the 'bolded' statement above ... The shocks alone do not determine how the vehicle will ride. Part of the ride is also determined by spring rate f&r ... whether they're progressive, dual rate, etc and how they match up with your vehicles weight.

I've never run RK, but have heard nothing but great things. If I was still in CO and in the rocks like I used to be, I'd probably be running their suspension based on nothing more than what I've read. But, I'm on the east coast now and run AEV's 3.5". I love it; It's solid - excellent on-road and does well enough off-road (despite having a little more clearance issues) for the kind of wheeling I now do.

Back to my original point, though ... I would never run a 'generic' 5100 with AEV's springs. The AEV 5100s are valved/dampened to their spring rates, etc.

That's a tough call...

T
post #15 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Rock God

I can't comment on the AEV, never seen one or driven in one. I do have the RK 2.5 Max Travel with remote reservoir RRD's and I can tell you that the ride quality is a HUGE improvement over stock.The springs made a huge difference, and adding the RRD's made another large improvement. I don't see rocks, but my 07 JKU is my daily driver and I ride fast on a lot of washed out, rutted fire trails.

And its not just me, my wife noticed the improvement immediately. Also, when I sent my RRD's back to add the reservoirs I didn't tell her I had switched the stock shocks back in. She went to take the Jeep to the store and stopped less than 1/2 a mile down the road to call and tell me something was wrong with the Jeep. She was out checking the tires to see what was going on...

I think the RK system will do everything you want, and you won't be disappointed in the RRD's.

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #16 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Are there really 5100's valved at different rates? How many different rates are there? This has a eyebrow raised.... I'm in the market for new springs as well.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #17 of 22 Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey, I appreciate all the input. I am going RK! After much research, and a whole bunch of reading, the RK kit is by far the most complete. The last think I want to do is add a kit, and then find out I still need more to maybe make it right. For what I am going to be doing, I probably don't need the RK, but what the hell, A bit of overkill seems to be a good thing. My goal is to build what I like to call an Adventure Vehicle. I will likely stay off the hardcore trails of Colorado. To run a trail just to say I did it is not wha I am after. I am after trails that are maybe of medium difficulty with something at the end, like a lake, an old mine, a view, etc. You won't see me running Blanca Peak, Holy Cross, etc!!!!! But I will be out there and on RK stuff.

Thanks Again,
Brent
post #18 of 22 Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by comac90 View Post
I would disagree with you slightly on the 'bolded' statement above ... The shocks alone do not determine how the vehicle will ride. Part of the ride is also determined by spring rate f&r ... whether they're progressive, dual rate, etc and how they match up with your vehicles weight.

I've never run RK, but have heard nothing but great things. If I was still in CO and in the rocks like I used to be, I'd probably be running their suspension based on nothing more than what I've read. But, I'm on the east coast now and run AEV's 3.5". I love it; It's solid - excellent on-road and does well enough off-road (despite having a little more clearance issues) for the kind of wheeling I now do.

Back to my original point, though ... I would never run a 'generic' 5100 with AEV's springs. The AEV 5100s are valved/dampened to their spring rates, etc.

That's a tough call...

T
You are absolutely right. Shocks alone do not determine ride quality.

For ride quality, the major factors are;

- spring tuning
- shock tuning
- compliance of suspension components to provide vibration isolation

For handling

- all of the above count
- but suspension geometry becomes a major factor

Then, when you add in off-road ability you need to account for even more factors;

Ultimately it is a big compromise and getting it right takes alot of time and tuning...

Both companies make good products. From and outsider looking in, both companies appear to be after two completely different market segments.

RK
post #19 of 22 Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Naturally, your best choice depends on the wheeling you will do....as mentioned, in CO you're up against a lot of unforgiving rock and some pretty technical stuff.

I wheeled all over CO with my RK setup for a couple of years and beat on that shit like it owed me money...no problems. Ever. My money is going to them for my '12 build as well.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #20 of 22 Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Naturally, your best choice depends on the wheeling you will do....as mentioned, in CO you're up against a lot of unforgiving rock and some pretty technical stuff.

I wheeled all over CO with my RK setup for a couple of years and beat on that shit like it owed me money...no problems. Ever. My money is going to them for my '12 build as well.
I'd love to drive a RK-equipped rig. Contrary to my prior builds, my current rig is getting a lot of use as a DD - so, AEV (which seems to be marketed as more of an 'overlander' kit) was my choice. Honestly, the selling point for me was the AEV track day video on Vimeo ... And that my wife would occasionally be driving it with my 4 kids. Marketing koolaid at its best, right? But, you sacrifice clearance with those front dropped radius arms. I'm 'okay' with that given the 'tamer' trails I typically now run.

IMHO, the RK setup 'seems' to be a better, true dual-use setup where AEV 'seems' to be more of a road setup with respectable, but not the best, off-road performance.

I think RK is right ... They seem to be after two different markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Are there really 5100's valved at different rates? How many different rates are there? This has a eyebrow raised.... I'm in the market for new springs as well.
Yes, Bilstein custom valves AEV's 5100s. AFAIK, the shocks are different on the 2-dr and 4-dr kits (since the spring rates are different on each). I don't know about differences between the different lift kit heights, though.

T
post #21 of 22 Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
JKowners Vendor

That is 100% correct. We want our JK's to ride and handle well on the street, but really perform solid off-road with minimal wear points and as many features as possible for a given price point. We want our JK's to do it all and do it to the best of it's ability.

RK
post #22 of 22 Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
JKowners Vendor

I wheeled all over CO with my RK setup for a couple of years and beat on that shit like it owed me money...no problems. Ever. My money is going to them for my '12 build as well.[/QUOTE]

That is funny! Thanks for the support! Our products have certainly gotten better since you last purchased!

RK

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 02-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode