Moving to Southern California - Hardtop question. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Moving to Southern California - Hardtop question.

I just bought my brand new 4 door 2012 JK with both soft and hard top. I currently live in Maryland but now it looks like I'll be moving to southern California region in October. So now I'm wondering if I really need a hard top after all. Do any of you guys in southern California use your hard tops? Advice please. Thanks

2012 JK Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

No for weather , yes depending on where you live and store your jeep I had a hard top sold it to buy my trek top but I live in the middle of nowhere and it sleeps in the garage
post #3 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jaker, thanks for replying so quickly. The jeep will be sleeping in my garage as well. Il be most likely living in temecula (close to the desert). I'm also self employed and run a home based business so it won't be parked all day in San Diego or LA.

2012 JK Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Wheeler

I have one on but it is beyond hot where I live (around 120 all summer) so it is definitely a better choice for me.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Rock God

i live in the ghetto heart of orange county, so yes. i have and use my hardtop.

this place is diverse. you'll have your eyes open at all times.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duexmachina View Post
Jaker, thanks for replying so quickly. The jeep will be sleeping in my garage as well. Il be most likely living in temecula (close to the desert). I'm also self employed and run a home based business so it won't be parked all day in San Diego or LA.
Sweet 10 min from me and a bunch of JK's
post #7 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

Well TBH I'm not a soft top fan in Ca leave anything out in the open and it will be stolen sooner or later! It may sleep in your garage but you have to drive it and park it and thats when the little bastards will get you!!!
post #8 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Rock God

Im in SoCal and I would NEVER get rid of my hard top

By the way.....You do realize that California does not have any vacancies right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Wheeler

I lived in temecula for 10 years...keep the hard top for the summers it can get pretty hot in temecula.

2012 Crush JKU Rubicon
post #10 of 21 Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolapalooza View Post
I lived in temecula for 10 years...keep the hard top for the summers it can get pretty hot in temecula.
Oh stop it just because the san Diego area is 15 deg cooler its not that bad up here , I take the doors and top off from may to oct , but then again I work out doors so I am used to it , UPS trucks don't have air
post #11 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I'm in Winchester, and I leave my Hard top on most of the year. I was considering a soft top, but if i wanted that much noise, i just take the top off. once you get out here you can make up your mind. Yes it's hot in summer. Yes it's cold in "Winter". I'm sure you will figure it out once you get out here...

2011 Unlimited Sport, Rock Krawler 3.5 inch X-Factor Mid Arm Lift, Mickey Thompson 35's, Fox 2.0's, McDonald's Fry under my seat...
See our pics here:

Rob
post #12 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Wheeler

Whatever top you have is the right one for Socal. Very little rain during the year and hot temps in the summer is the norm (my brother lives in Temecula). The hard top is quieter and insulates better, the soft top adds the "cool" factor but is louder and doesn't insulate well at all. I had the 2 top option on my '06 LJ and switched them around depending on weather and how far my next trip was going to take me. On my 2012, I just got the hard top and will be doing the cloth half doors and Safari top for the summers. Get out here and see how you like what you have before spending $$.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here in Maryland it also gets hot. Actually, oppressively hot! The humidity just sucks! So I thinking SoCal couldn't be worse? Any of you guys from the west ever visit the east coast during the summer? How do you think it compares?

2012 JK Rubicon
post #14 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Wheeler

east coast has humidity the west coast normally does not. You've heard the saying "but it's a dry heat". That holds very true out here. 120 is 120, but if you have 50% humidity, it amplifies what you feel..
post #15 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Granite Guru

I lived in Menifee,2 towns up from Temecula for about 5 years and like previously stated it gets toasty there. The only time I thought it was cold was feb-mar in the morning on my bike zipping down the 215/15. But temperature is a relative thing. When my sister came to visit from Seattle during the summer she roasted, that dry heat can getcha. I do have to say though for some reason I remember the San Diego airport area being one of the most humid areas I've been in. Especially, at night. Anyways sorry for the ramble, I would bring both and keep them for a year to see what you think.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #16 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Here in Maryland it also gets hot. Actually, oppressively hot! The humidity just sucks! So I thinking SoCal couldn't be worse? Any of you guys from the west ever visit the east coast during the summer? How do you think it compares?
I lived in Maryland and the 90 degree 90 percent humidity days sucked but they were not the norm. It stays above 110 nearly every day all summer where I live. 120 is not out of the question. However, it is pretty nice right now. It has been mid 80's the last few days.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 AM
DaK
Rock God

In Socal's High Desert region, out by Edwards AFB.

From about the end of March to beginning of Nov I like to roll with the soft top. Being able to go topless at a moments notice out here is well, nice. Nov-Feb is the rainy season, well except for this yr it is. Feel better with the hardtop on. Place I think it keeps the Jeep a bit warmer as well. Might be in the desert but dang we have some cold mornings and nights out here.

So it may depend in SOCAL you are talking about on what top and when.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Why would anyone choose to move to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia? But then again, you live MD, the 3rd or 4th ranking commie state in the union.

Good luck!

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #19 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Granite Guru

I agree with depending on where you live/work would be the only reason for hardtop... I'm in San Diego and work at a bar a few nights a week, I'm putting my soft top back on but I'm a little nervous, I'll let you know how it goes
post #20 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Granite Guru

I'm a hardtop fan...

My Jeeps and I have lived in Los Angeles (Long Beach) for about eight years or so. All three had hardtops, but like others have pointed out, it's not because of the weather.

For me, it's all about security. It makes it more SUV-like that way (increased utility for general use). It's less important for me now, but I still don't feel comfortable leaving it anywhere with the top off (but I think I'd feel that way in any location).

The OEM hardtop has gotten progressively better. I was always afraid that I'd pop out my LJU windows on a trail (never happened, but I've seen it more than once on other Jeeps -- once on the notoriously rough Shaver/Red/Coyote Lake series of trails). Even between my two JKs they've done some incremental tweaks -- but none ever leaked on me. The JK OEM hardtop doesn't seem to suffer the same stress load when the Jeep is doing its thing.

You'll get a feel for your local environment pretty fast. With so many SOCAL folks, I'm looking forward to a run together some time!
post #21 of 21 Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I will take 110 in southern California over any high humidity 80 90 day any where else. I do a lot off travel back east and I hate it all in the summer.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode