Power tool ?'s/Discussion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Power tool ?'s/Discussion

I have a few tool questions for you guys. In regards to corded electric tools what should you look for when buying a good corded power tool?

I am looking at buying a 4.5 Angle Grinder/ cut off wheel. What should I look for (amps/rpms?) (higher amps/rpms the better?) Anything else? Also are there any tools that are made in the US; I was browsing at Lowes and every single one of their power tools is made elsewhere?

Any tips on buying any good electric tool would be helpful.

Thanks for your help guys.

-Scott S.-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Look up Wylaco. He is a vendor on here that goes by aplumber.

He sells dewalt stuff for awesome prices.

More specific to your question, any good 4 1/2 inch grinder will do the trick for you. I have a few cheap Harbor Freight ones that work well but bog down fairly easily but they were like 15 bucks. Then I have 2 Dewalt ones with the paddle style switch that are super awesome.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #3 of 17 Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I just replaced my old Dewalt with the Bosch. 7.5 [email protected] 11000 rpm's. It will have plenty of power for you, plus Lowes has a promotion on them 2 for the price of one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I looked on Lowes website just now and didn't see a 2fer promotion. Maybe all the stores aren't doing it? Sounds like a good deal.

Here is the Wylaco Dewalt special. It's hard to beat the price with the wheels and such. And 13 amps at 11k rpm. More power! Argh argh argh argh (Tim Allen voice)
http://www.wylaco.com/bargain-baseme...-Special-Promo

Edit: Amazon has a good deal on Dewalt grinders too.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28402K...9199955&sr=8-2

To be fair though, the above is the 10 amp model.

The same one that Wylaco is selling is about 12 bucks more without the wheels on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28114-...9199955&sr=8-5

Last edited by oz97tj; 02-13-2012 at 10:16 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 AM
Granite Guru

I've got a Hitachi angle grinder that I picked up from Lowe's a few years back. It has served me well!

You will be hard pressed to find US made power tools anymore.

sent via smoke signal
post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I looked on Lowes website just now and didn't see a 2fer promotion. Maybe all the stores aren't doing it? Sounds like a good deal.

Here is the Wylaco Dewalt special. It's hard to beat the price with the wheels and such. And 13 amps at 11k rpm. More power! Argh argh argh argh (Tim Allen voice)
http://www.wylaco.com/bargain-baseme...-Special-Promo

Edit: Amazon has a good deal on Dewalt grinders too.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28402K...9199955&sr=8-2

To be fair though, the above is the 10 amp model.

The same one that Wylaco is selling is about 12 bucks more without the wheels on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28114-...9199955&sr=8-5
I probably caught the tail end of the deal, they only had a couple left.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Useless information but something I really looked at was the button for the grinder. I ended up with a cheap ($30) Porter Cable from Lowes. I found most other low end grinders have a on/off button that is usually not in a easy place to access with one hand.

I prefer a click-button on the handle, seems safer to me. If something goes screwy, I want to know that if my hand slips...the damn thing will turn off!

+ Lowes has 2 Porter Cable grinders for $50 or something, wish I had gone that route. It'd be nice to have a grinding wheel/wire wheel/cutting disc on one with a flapper or something on the other...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 PM
JKO Addict!

I beat the shit out of my Dewalt grinder good power like the placement of the switch, works with heavy gloves. Couple years old and still kicking.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Goody has a good point. As stated earlier, I have a few HF units with switches on top. They are kind of a pain to use. Not to mention if I happen to drop the grinder or something, it'll stay running.

I also have a couple Dewalts with the paddle switch. These are super easy to use and if something happened and it slips it will automatically switch off. Easier to use and safer!

Also mentioned, having at least two grinders is almost a need. One with a cutting wheel, and the other with a flap disc to clean up things sure is nice instead of swapping back and forth. There has been a few projects where I've had all four of my grinders out at the same time. Cutting wheels, wire wheels, and flap wheels of different grits. It's very nice just grabbing a different tool instead of swapping back and forth a million times. For most fab stuff though, a cut off wheel and a flap disc is almost always needed.

Last edited by oz97tj; 02-14-2012 at 06:26 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well shit. I guess I should have checked here before I bought one. Just purchased a Dewalt with the paddle switch, one from Lowes. I would never settle for one with a on/off switch. It was either trigger or paddle for me; and the paddle seemed better.

I had never thought about wanting two, some good thinking. Well now I can either save for another or return this one and see if I can find a good 2fer.

My question about amps and RPM still stands (in regards to all/most power tools). I assume more amps and more rpm's would be a better tool, last longer?

Again, thanks for the input!
post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleJK4x4 View Post
Well shit. I guess I should have checked here before I bought one. Just purchased a Dewalt with the paddle switch, one from Lowes. I would never settle for one with a on/off switch. It was either trigger or paddle for me; and the paddle seemed better.

I had never thought about wanting two, some good thinking. Well now I can either save for another or return this one and see if I can find a good 2fer.

My question about amps and RPM still stands (in regards to all/most power tools). I assume more amps and more rpm's would be a better tool, last longer?

Again, thanks for the input!
I wouldn't necessarily correlate the life of the tool with rpm/current ratings. Rather it is for what kind of work load it can handle. In my opinion.

Such as, using arbitrary numbers, a 10amp tool will handle and maintain speed (rpm) under load better than a 5amp tool. In other words, if you are leaning on a piece of steel while grinding on it, the 10amp won't really give a shit...whereas the 5amp will bog down and either quit...or you'll have to back off the tool.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Rock God

I don't know about Porter Cable grinders, but all the Porter Cable tool's I own have suited me well for my occasional use and I would recommend them.

In general, I would suggest using craigslist or similar sites and buying used tools. There are so many barely used tools for sale that are good brands it's a no brainer. With the construction slump the past few years lots of contractors went belly up and liquidated their tools.

Edit: I just looked on craigslist as an example and found this one within 20 seconds local to me. I'm actually tempted to pick it up.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/tls/2760641260.html

Last edited by Espo78; 02-14-2012 at 07:01 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I wouldn't necessarily correlate the life of the tool with rpm/current ratings. Rather it is for what kind of work load it can handle. In my opinion.

Such as, using arbitrary numbers, a 10amp tool will handle and maintain speed (rpm) under load better than a 5amp tool. In other words, if you are leaning on a piece of steel while grinding on it, the 10amp won't really give a shit...whereas the 5amp will bog down and either quit...or you'll have to back off the tool.
Alright. That what I figured. Just wanted to confirm.

But with that conclusion, my logic thinks this. That higher amprage would correlate with a longer life due to less stress being put on a tool. Obviously you should use each differently, but for examples sake, if you used both 5/10 on the same material as a control, the 10 would last longer?

And yes don't get me wrong. I know this question is probably way above and beyond an "everyman" using a grinder, but I wanted to understand what role rated amperage plays, when you are looking at the "stats sheet" at the store.

Thanks GGCuda!

-Scott S.-

'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
post #14 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleJK4x4 View Post
Alright. That what I figured. Just wanted to confirm.

But with that conclusion, my logic thinks this. That higher amprage would correlate with a longer life due to less stress being put on a tool. Obviously you should use each differently, but for examples sake, if you used both 5/10 on the same material as a control, the 10 would last longer?

And yes don't get me wrong. I know this question is probably way above and beyond an "everyman" using a grinder, but I wanted to understand what role rated amperage plays, when you are looking at the "stats sheet" at the store.

Thanks GGCuda!
I really can't tell you for sure, I'd rather someone that actually knows answer that part (as far as the life expectancy goes).

However the comparison I am making in my head to that is like saying "a V8 will out last an I4 because it uses more fuel."...doesn't quite make sense.

post #15 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Rock God

There are a lot of variables to consider above The ratings you are considering. I own a decorative concrete company. We do a lot of concrete and rebar grinding. I like Dewalt tools for general duty, but for my work they are disposable. For a small grinder to survive our environment it has to handle heat build up and stay clean in a dusty environment.

I like makita's, especially this one: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGwQ8wIwAg

However we mostly use specialized Hilti grinders. Go to their website and check out their selection. Their amp ratings may not impress, but they hold up to our extremely demanding requirements...... So they should handle anything you can throw at them.

Davesrb

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #16 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
However the comparison I am making in my head to that is like saying "a V8 will out last an I4 because it uses more fuel."...doesn't quite make sense.

Good point. I dont know. Either way I got a new grinder. And that's all that matters.

-Scott S.-

'07 2Dr Silver Rubicon
post #17 of 17 Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Useless information but something I really looked at was the button for the grinder. I ended up with a cheap ($30) Porter Cable from Lowes. I found most other low end grinders have a on/off button that is usually not in a easy place to access with one hand.

I prefer a click-button on the handle, seems safer to me. If something goes screwy, I want to know that if my hand slips...the damn thing will turn off!+ Lowes has 2 Porter Cable grinders for $50 or something, wish I had gone that route. It'd be nice to have a grinding wheel/wire wheel/cutting disc on one with a flapper or something on the other...
Yeah you want something that if it comes out of your hand it cuts off. Mine cut my leg and then ran half way across the shop and was stil running.

Well I was working on my toyota the other night cutting out some metal to make motor mounts and this happened.

I got in a hurry and wasn't paying enough attention and the grinder kicked back and caught my pants. Just thought I would share my stupidity and maybe save somebody a trip to the hospital. I had to get close to 40 staples and some stitches on the inside to help hold it together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode