Quieting down a soft top tricks? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quieting down a soft top tricks?

Anything that can be done to help with the noise at the header going down the highway? That seems to be the worse part. Seems fairly quiet until someone passes us.

Its on a 07 4door.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have an 09 4dr and looked in the recall section and found a service buliten that stated you could replace the header with another one that was better built and stopped the noise issue. got mine changed and it was significantly better on the highway

edit: the noise is caused by the header flexing and allowing the center to rise above the windshield frame and catching the wind

09 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Zone Offroad 4" lift with 35" KM2
Superwinch LP8500 in ARB front bumper
And too FEW Lights!!
post #3 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipkts008 View Post
I have an 09 4dr and looked in the recall section and found a service buliten that stated you could replace the header with another one that was better built and stopped the noise issue. got mine changed and it was significantly better on the highway

edit: the noise is caused by the header flexing and allowing the center to rise above the windshield frame and catching the wind
yep

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47268

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
Anything that can be done to help with the noise at the header going down the highway? That seems to be the worse part. Seems fairly quiet until someone passes us.

Its on a 07 4door.

Thanks
Put the top down..

Anyway.. seems some are worse than others.. my original factory top on RubiKong (08) was decently quiet... the factory top on Project Double D's (2 Door 07) was so loud it was actually quieter to put the top down! Nothing helped it.. I finally replaced the top with a 2 door ORH top that looked a million times better and was quiet. Smurfette (10) is pretty quiet so far, but if it gets loud i won't even waste time to figure it out like I did DD's, I'll just replace it and be done.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

upgrade to the metal header bar.

or take that 100 and invest in a louder radio. just part of driving a jeep every day.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Get a hard top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

damn beat me to it JKCTAZ
post #8 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had an '07 soft top on my '08 - bought the soft top used a week after I bought my '08 with hardtop. The front header bar worked great for about 3 years that I had it. The last year was horrible. I took it to the dealer to get the header bar replaced, but they wouldn't do it since the soft top wasn't part of my Jeep from factory. Told me I could buy the header bar for $200, so I just turned up the volume on the radio when on the highway.

Just recently (past 2 weeks or so), I had other issues with the soft top (torn seams, etc) and I installed my wife's Trektop since she has her hardtop on for the winter. Wow! What a difference. Wind noise is gone and much quieter since the metal frame doesn't clunk around over bumps.

Conclusions reached: Either have the dealership replace the header under warranty or TSB, buy a Trektop NX or turn up the volume on the radio.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #9 of 24 Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Wheeler

Have an 08...sound was deafening with a headwind. Sure I could drive with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand holding the plastic brace in the center. Worked pretty good but my arm gets tired. So just ordered the metal header …hopefully have it for this weekend.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11132_9113_07.htm

brad
post #10 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A bit cheaper then Quadratec or your local dealer
http://www.partswebsite.com/jeepcarp...partnum=accept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #11 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yes, I bought mine pre owned and the noise was literally unbearable. I bought a metal header from the dealer and replaced the OEM plastic one. Apparently they warp over time. Made a huge difference.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #12 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Get a hard top.
Let me see you take off the hard top on the trail or better yet put the top on while out and a storm moves in.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #13 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Let me see you take off the hard top on the trail or better yet put the top on while out and a storm moves in.

-Dan
I will eventually, when I flop on it...

Hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've a 2007 also, it was never as bad as you described but the wind noise was reduced after I bent the metal header mounting clips down a fraction, with a pair of pliers. If youy don't want to scratch the paint, wrap them with a cloth first.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwest View Post
I've a 2007 also, it was never as bad as you described but the wind noise was reduced after I bent the metal header mounting clips down a fraction, with a pair of pliers. If youy don't want to scratch the paint, wrap them with a cloth first.
Its not bad, there is just some wind noise when we get above 60-65mph. No rattling or anything.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Its not bad, there is just some wind noise when we get above 60-65mph. No rattling or anything.
Exactly, this trick reduces wind noise by tightening down the soft top.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Rock God

$3 trick?

post #18 of 24 Old 02-15-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwest View Post
Exactly, this trick reduces wind noise by tightening down the soft top.

So what your saying is, you bent the grooved section up, so the groove is higher up and will clamp down more?
post #19 of 24 Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
So what your saying is, you bent the grooved section up, so the groove is higher up and will clamp down more?
Bent them down slightly, so the soft top is forced down when you clamp it, and it sits tighter on top of the windshield. It does reduce wind noise.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Attached Images

post #21 of 24 Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Wheeler

Just installed the metal header. Took about 30 minutes and a electric screw driver. Nice tight fit Road tested at 75 with headwind......can talk on the phone again, yeah!
post #22 of 24 Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Granite Guru

My '09 is 97 dB inside at 60 mph! Literally loud enough to cause hearing loss. I have no carpet (Bedlined), no drain plugs, and no muffler. Put plugs in and muffler on and only knocked it down to 92 dB. OSHA mandates hearing protection above 85. The top was super quiet before my Or-Fab cage. I do notice it gets quieter when water is leaking in from passenger side in the rain at 65 mph.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earfixr View Post
My '09 is 97 dB inside at 60 mph! Literally loud enough to cause hearing loss. I have no carpet (Bedlined), no drain plugs, and no muffler. Put plugs in and muffler on and only knocked it down to 92 dB. OSHA mandates hearing protection above 85. The top was super quiet before my Or-Fab cage. I do notice it gets quieter when water is leaking in from passenger side in the rain at 65 mph.
What tires do you have?
How often do you rotate them?
How much tread is remaining?
Do you have the metal header bar?

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #24 of 24 Old 02-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Granite Guru

It ain't the tires. Wind noise from soft top. Metal header and all. 35" mtr/k's with 15k on them rotated every 5. Very quiet tires. Grew up with super swampers, now they are loud. Tire noise would be much lower frequency then what I'm hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode