Are all factory JK soft tops the same? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Are all factory JK soft tops the same?

In a weak moment, I thought I'd save a bunch of money by buying a "JK" soft top off of Craigslist. The thing is in really good condition, so I thought it would be great. But, it seems it doesn't fit quite right. I have a 2010 2-door Wrangler Sahara and I'm betting this top is maybe a 07 or 08. There is a gap between the front of the top and the top of my windshield of a little more than a 1/2 inch. I've looked at other tops on other Jeeps and it seems the gap on those is 1/4 inch or less. My top is obviously not fitting right because of all the wind noise coming in and of course, it leaks a little in substantial rain.
Do you know of any fix for this? Could the latches that secure the top to the windshield be changed out or altered to bring them in more snug? Am I screwed?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Rock God

There are differences between the years.
If its just the header you may need the metal upgraded header from the dealer. The plastic header leaks and is noisey
post #3 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Rock God

The 07-09 top will fit on the 10 and newer as long as you have the door surrounds from the correct style. Look up the mopar video on youtube to make sure you are putting it on correctly. Try latching the header before securing the rear portion of the top. The metal replacement headers are a lot better then the older plastic ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^ He hit the nail on the head. I'm sure your top has the plastic header, the stiff piece which the latches are attached to. The plastic will bow causing gaps at the ends of the header. The replacement header is around $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Rock God

Bestop now makes a metal replacement header for around $50. I used it on my top and it works well.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Rock God

Is it hitting the u shaped latch attached to the center of your windshield? The newer tops are cut out for this. the piece was added for the latch from the hard panels to latch to. If you cut it out it will probably fit better. We did this to my buddies. The older jeep hardtop freedom panels didnt have this piece. Heres the indent on the newer top.

My builds!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode