No doors + kids? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

No doors + kids?

With summer on its way I have really been itching to get the doors and top off this new Jeep. My daughter is a well behaved 5 year old that only sits in a booster seat in the Jeep, we have one of the 'full sized' typical car seats in my wifes Patriot. She obviously much prefers the booster. She is real excited to go on some Jeep adventures as she calls them and I want her to experience it. My concern is her in the Jeep with no doors. She is not one who would ever unbuckle her seatbelt or anything like that. I worry more about a wreck or a side impact or something like that. So i really feel some safari/tube doors would ease my mind just a bit. would you guys also suggest swapping the full car seat for the booster with doors off? I can attach the full booster to the Jeep itself obviously the booster I cannot.
I plan on running doorless pretty often.
Ive been researching tube/safari doors and think i have settled on the Highrock 4x4 ones, only because you can convert them to full half doors as well.
http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/b...s/4door_jk.php

Any advice is appreciated.

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Well even my 24 yr old nephew didn't like riding in the back with no doors. I'm sure gonna get some tube doors for my girl who is gonna be five.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #3 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Rock God

You'd probably be better off with a tall back booster that straps to the 3 car-seat attach points. Put it in the center and she could use the shoulder belt as normal. I have 3 boys and a set of trail doors. The doors aren't a safety device but a better piece of mind for them and me. My 4 yo sits in the middle in a full booster but still uses the 5 point harness for now.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Middle section is a good idea. Ill probably get the full seat and put in there.

post #5 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Rock God

I'll post a pic of my setup if you'd like. The 3 point attach system is great because the seat stays even when not in use.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

No Doors + Kids = No Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #7 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

PM Family-JK, as he has come up with a great setup to ensure his children are safe. He can share it with you.

He has a harness bar, and five-point harnesses, strapping them into the Jeep. He could drive upside down and they would just be hanging out, so to speak.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #8 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

I used to leave the back doors on with the kids. Now I have tube doors for the back and that's how we do it in the summer. I do not get on the highway with my kids and just tube doors though. Just for safety sake. I'd rather ere on the side of caution on the highway. Too many crazy people out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alex

07 Unlimited X
My pockets are empty
post #9 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

This is the only picture I could find of us wheeling with the front doors off - it was taken a few years ago (notice the JKF sticker that has since been removed). If we wheel with the front doors and top off, my daughter still feels like she's part of the outdoors. I just don't like driving with her door off due to branches, rocks, etc bouncing off my tires and possibly hitting her. In the city, I think it's just a safety thing in case of an accident, or if she drops something and it falls out of the Jeep. She still enjoys the Jeep with the windows down and top off, but I feel like she's safer with the doors on.

She was 3 when the picture was taken and was in a full carseat. She turns 5 this May. She now only uses a booster seat.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #10 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru

Wow, even to think about putting young kids in a Jeep with no doors makes me crazy.
Well behaved or not, 5-year olds are impulsive and it only takes a second to open the belt and fall out.
Serious, re-think it. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened.
post #11 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

My dog rocks no doors!old pic

Sent from a place where there are no roads.
post #12 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCourtney View Post
Wow, even to think about putting young kids in a Jeep with no doors makes me crazy.
Well behaved or not, 5-year olds are impulsive and it only takes a second to open the belt and fall out.
Serious, re-think it. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened.
That's why the OP is here for ideas and advice. The doors are not made to keep people in the vehicle. The WARNING is on the inside of the top. Plus the shitty ass roll cage will buckle in an accident too. A child that can or will unbuckle while driving is unsafe in any vehicle. It's tge same risk as kids on motorcycles or sports or hunting. It's to the parents discretion to handle it as they choose.

Big B.

post #13 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Rock God

sticker on the hardtop....

just sayin...

I have 3 kids, 8, 12 and 15 and occasionally go doors off with the 3 of them back there with the little guy in the middle if we are just riding around near home and on slower roads....rules are no un-buckling at all, ever and keep arms/legs inside.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #14 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yep what they said. Kids are a risk , driving is a risk. Be smart teach your children well. But most of all watch them like a hawk cause they will mess up.

One day at the breakfest diner over coffee I asked the policeman next to me.

"If my child has to be in a car seat or seatbelt until 18 (NH has no seatbelt law) how old do they have to be to ride on a motorcycle?"

Don't you know I stumped him, 30+ years and he never thought about that!

The law for bikes is of course your passenger sits in the back and has to reach the footpegs and be able to hold on.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #15 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

i know my daughter pretty well. She is highly reluctant to even pick up a folded pocket knife even when asked to do so. The only time she ever touches the buckle is when she thinks she is at our destination. I think highway is out of the question for sure and some trails even, but I think safari/tube doors around town a little bit would be fine. Ill see about the attachment of the full seat in the Jeep and see how I feel about it all then. I think Safari/half/tube doors, center mounted full car seat and some extreme caution used in my small town roads will be okay.

post #16 of 41 Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeeJaySeven+JKU View Post
That's why the OP is here for ideas and advice. The doors are not made to keep people in the vehicle. The WARNING is on the inside of the top. Plus the shitty ass roll cage will buckle in an accident too. A child that can or will unbuckle while driving is unsafe in any vehicle. It's tge same risk as kids on motorcycles or sports or hunting. It's to the parents discretion to handle it as they choose.

Heck the owners manual said the doors are just there for element protection!

post #17 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM
JKO Addict!

^^^ Agreed ^^^

If you want to keep then safe, replace the factory cage with a fully-welded cage (yes I have a resource/referral for the same), with a crossbar behind the seat, and five-point safety harnesses, and you'll be able to drive upside down without them falling out, and they'll be MUCH safer than factory seatbelts, the factory cage, and factory doors (element protection).

PM me for more information on a "family-safe" cage, that doesn't compromise leg room.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #18 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Granite Guru

My take on it is this: It's not about protection from an accident to me. It's about how easy it would be to fall out with the doors missing. Even the best behaved kids in the world are still KIDS. And as such, from time to time they make mistakes and hasty decisions.

My 4 year old is the best boy in the world. But what if he drops a french fry and decides in a quick moment of 4-year old wisdom to unbuckle and grab it? With no door there, he could fall out before I even realized he was unbuckled.

It's just not a risk I'm willing to take. Sure, accidents can and do happen in ANY vehicle.. but with the doors off of a Jeep you're just making it that much easier.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #19 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Rock God

I've only done doors off with the kids in the middle, one at a time. Now that my boy is out of the 3point and in a booster, I probably won't do that. My daughter is 9 and I will with her.

like others.. More of a falling out thing than anything else.

boy in the middle: (you can see his white hair in there if you look hard)

Both Kids, rears on:

~ Clam
post #20 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

Half doors, FTW

post #21 of 41 Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My kids are 7 and 9. We always wheel with the doors off. We drive around town with the doors off. Now if I'm going somewhere on the interstate or higher speeds, I put the rear doors on. My son was 6 before I would take the doors off around town. My kids know not to unbuckle. It's up to the parents to decide based on their kids. For example, I would never let my 12 year old nephew ride in the Jeep without doors, because he's an idiot.

I lead by example. My kids know that when the engine is running, I've got my seatbelt on....every time. I can't tell you how many times they have dropped stuff and I tell them it can wait til we get to where we are going. They have also seen me drop shit. Same thing, it lies on the floor until we get to where we are going. Sometimes, I have to pull over into a parking lot to keep it from flying out.

Tube doors won't do crap in a crash. All that flying debris is still coming right at them. Just like all that glass will if the full door is on and the windows are up. At least the full door will provide some protection. I'm still of the belief that the majority of car crashes could have been avoided. If one of the parties had either been paying closer attention or had taken more appropriate action, the crash could have been avoided. Just try riding a motorcycle sometime. You will become so much more in tune to the assholes around you, it's nuts. Drivers in the U.S. SUCK!!!!! That's why I feel it's my responsibility to be that much better.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #22 of 41 Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Yamaha90

I know Badpunkin has a rear set of tube doors for sale. He actually had a fabricator make an upper frame and the guy welded extruded metal over the whole door so it's like a cage in the back. Really cool actually, and very functional for the trail.

Mike
F/R Rubicon Axles
3.5 Rock Krawler X-Factor
Poison Spyder Crusher Flares
17x10 AE Beadlocks
37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
WTO Hydro-Assist
JE Reel F. Shaft 1310
Poison Spyder Brawler Mid Front Bumper
JCR Offroad Crusader Rear Bumper/Carrier
Poison Spyder Armor & Rocker Knockers
6" KC Slimlites

post #23 of 41 Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

good post hooligan! I totally agree with this.
My plan as it stands now is half/safari doors around town and offroad (at least on the back doors) and full doors on interstate for sure.
I really wanted half doors but they are virtually non existant on lot vehicles around here. I am watching ACE's door build like a hawk currently.
If i could get a safari door with a removable skin id buy it in a heartbeat.

post #24 of 41 Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

>beer induced post.... No worries, you can buy replacement female kids from china for a few bucks.

jk, gotta protect the babies

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #25 of 41 Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
>beer induced post.... No worries, you can buy replacement female kids from china for a few bucks.

jk, gotta protect the babies
i plan on it, believe me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode