bumpers, stubby vs full length - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

bumpers, stubby vs full length

What is the general opinion on bumpers? I dont care much for front full width (bumper goes all the way in front of the tire) but I do like them in the rear of the Jeep where i can get a bit of corner protection.
Is it just better to generally stick with stubby types? full length viable for the front?
I guess alot of it has to do with your fender choices as well, correct?

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

'tis up to the owner. I agree it is dependent on the fender choice when it comes to aesthetics.

Most guys on here are about rock crawling. Getting the bumper out of the way and the fact a stubby cost a whole lot less makes this style the most often chosen here.

Flat fenders with a full length looks ridiculous to me, same with factory width fenders and a stubby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Stubby. Personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Flat fenders with a full length looks ridiculous to me, same with factory width fenders and a stubby.
my thoughts exactly.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I cant decide what i want to do fender wise.
If i go flat fenders ill have tons of mud, snow etc up the side and possibly inside when no doors are off. Now Its a Jeep and its going to get muddy and Im fine with that for the most part.
If i go full width flat fenders I wonder how that would look with a stubby style front bumper...

post #6 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Wheeler

When living in Colorado and doing more rockcrawling with a dedicated trail rig, I preferred stubby and flat fenders whenever possible ... get that crap outta' the way.

But now, living on the east coast and using my rig for more DD duties and family camping (but still for the occasional run out to Moab ), I prefer full width to protect the stock fenders that I kept on the Jeep. I run the AEV Milspec which has very good clearance relative to other full-width setups I've run on other 4x4s I've owned.

T
post #7 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

im on the east coast too. what trails that are here are usually fairly narrow. (some are glorified atv trails) but i probably wont be hitting the trail all that often. Some of the nice trails were closed. But camping and fishing trips as well as DD will be commonplace.
If i go flatfender style ill go with Ace's stuff.
PSC brawler front looks perfect to me...

post #8 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with a full width at first because I didn't know better. I want to get my tires on stuff before anything else. Anything that gets in the way is.. well... in the way.

Steep approach angle.... narrow width... hard to beat.

It really depends on what you want to do with it.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Yeah this is just what ever you like. I like the look of a rig from the front with a stubby. Check out the Poison Spyder stubby bumpers, very sexy and a choice of stingers. I like my Srockworks but the lead time to get one is crazy long.

Sent by Monkey Flinging Poo

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mid width FTW

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #11 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

Love my full length...soon to be putting flat fenders on too and will love it then too...I had a stubby on first and when I saw this bumper...had to have it. Oh and by the way, saw flats with this bumper on another rig and it looked sick as hell so I know it will look sick on mine too! Oh and at full flex...it's not in the way!

American by Birth! Southern by the Grace of God!
post #12 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
It never ends...

In the back if you go stubby and wheel then corner armor is a good idea. Full width does the protection. Downside is hanging up on obstacles.

In front a stubby is useful to keep bigger tires from rubbing on bumper when stuffed. If I recall correctly I was running into trouble with 35's on a 4" lift at full stuff.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 02-12-2012 at 07:19 AM.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

I am a fan of keeping things simple so I went with the PSC BFH front and rear and love the look but it just comes down to what you want/need. Good luck with what you decide

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #14 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

Around here, narrow trails and trees are the norm. My Jeep is a DD so I like the fenders. I am looking for a full width that doesn't break the bank yet has the look and features I want.I haven't found one yet.

Decide what you want to do with it then build it for that use.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #15 of 26 Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Here is a full width with flat flares , I still love my full width but I don't rock crawl
Took some fancy cutting to make the flat flares work but I did it
post #16 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
my thoughts exactly.
Sorry to disappoint you fellas, but I thought my setup looked pretty good last time I looked at it.

Hold on... I'll go out and take a look again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #17 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Granite Guru

I lve my stubby. Great for clearance, cheaper, and gives it a more aggressive look IMO.

With that said, hit a deer one time with the front corner doing 60 mph. I did. Nothing quite like the feeling of your Jeep going airborne at 60 as it travels over the deers body. A full width probably would have pushed it out of the way....who knows. Just something to consider.

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
post #18 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
I lve my stubby. Great for clearance, cheaper, and gives it a more aggressive look IMO.

With that said, hit a deer one time with the front corner doing 60 mph. I did. Nothing quite like the feeling of your Jeep going airborne at 60 as it travels over the deers body. A full width probably would have pushed it out of the way....who knows. Just something to consider.
That's what I use my stinger for. It's like a sight on the front of the Jeep. I just aim the tip of the stinger at the middle of the deer. I figure that'll deflect it down and under. I'm high enough that I can drive right over the deer and not touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #19 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Sorry to disappoint you fellas, but I thought my setup looked pretty good last time I looked at it.

Hold on... I'll go out and take a look again...
pics pls

post #20 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

There is no way in hell I'd run a full width on my Jeep. I've crawled over way too many things thanks to my wide open area in front of the tires to trade it for a full width. It's like having the approach angle of a pickup truck with a full width [Jaker's doesn't look too bad in that regard].

I have a super-duper stubby, wouldn't change a thing.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Full width bumpers serve no purpose on a Jeep. They kill off-road performance, are unnecessary weight, are more expensive, and look like crap.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Full width bumpers serve no purpose on a Jeep. They kill off-road performance, are unnecessary weight, are more expensive, and look like crap.
You know there a lot more things to do off road besides rocks , I will take my full width any day over a stubby when going trough the woods and mountain trails , I have on a few times smack my bumper hard and was glad it wasn't my tire that I hit , so before you go bashing every build and every bumper has a purpose
post #23 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
It never ends...

My wife's jeep is set up for general propose. Full width rear bumper and stubby in front. (37's on a 3" lift). It does great on the boulders in the black hills (narrow), the trees in CO, and places like Moab. Of course it goes to the mall just fine too.

A stubby in front is more important than having one in the rear. Keeps tires off the bumper when stuffed. I'm not a fan of putting more pressure on tires and axles than necessary.

I ran a full width rear on my rig (Rex) until I switched to 43's about a year ago.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #24 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

im thinking stubby/mid front and full in the rear.
i like how the stock bumper goes up under the rear corners i just dont like it being plastic lol
the front im thinking this:
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-Fron...7-16-020-b.htm
or...
http://www.4wd.com/prodDetail.aspx?partno=S%2fB76805

there is no rock crawling where i am. but approach angles are rough sometimes.

post #25 of 26 Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode