Heim joints or Johnny joints - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Heim joints or Johnny joints

Whats everybody like for front suspension?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Rock God

What stye of rig?

What kind of useage?

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ACE Engineering
586-806-6641
[B]
post #3 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaylefarmer View Post
What stye of rig?

What kind of useage?
4dr...rock crawling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Rock God

I'm a fan of cartridge style joints like the Johny

Cheaper, Quieter, Rebuildable

Build Thread:

ACE Engineering
586-806-6641
[B]
post #5 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

Heim joints are a metal to metal connection. JJ have polyurethane in the joint. This means JJ work as vibration isolators where the heim joints do not. So, in a control arm situation of a road rig you need some form of vibration isolation, in a trail only rig it does not matter.

If you have heim joint the other end needs to be rubber or poly. With a JJ you can have both end JJ and still have decent on road feel. You add in the fact JJ are rebuildable well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #6 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 AM

What kind of useage?
post #7 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Votes are in...going with Johnny joints all around.

post #8 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Johnny Joint!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #9 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

What about RKs krawler joints? How do they stack up compared to Johnny and heim's?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #10 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
What about RKs krawler joints? How do they stack up compared to Johnny and heim's?
JJ's, favorably. Beat heims by a mile.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

x2 on RKs new-gen Krawler joints. They are the sweetness.

The MetalCloak stuff is looking good these days too.....

JJs are good stuff but they are a gold ignot wrapped in a banana leaf. What I'm trying to say is the joint itself is fine but you'll never come close to getting full misalignment out of them before the housing contacts the mounting bracket and you're finished getting flex outta them (at least on the JK). They are kind of a half-baked design. Then they fatigue the mounting brackets or flex has to come from somewhere else in the suspension. They like to work your jam nuts loose.

I have pictures of nice polished rings on the inner surfaces of my mounting brackets and matching ones on JJ ends, because they were constantly meeting well before full misalignment is reached.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
x2 on RKs new-gen Krawler joints. They are the sweetness.

The MetalCloak stuff is looking good these days too.....

JJs are good stuff but they are a gold ignot wrapped in a banana leaf. What I'm trying to say is the joint itself is fine but you'll never come close to getting full misalignment out of them before the housing contacts the mounting bracket and you're finished getting flex outta them (at least on the JK). They are kind of a half-baked design. Then they fatigue the mounting brackets or flex has to come from somewhere else in the suspension. They like to work your jam nuts loose.

I have pictures of nice polished rings on the inner surfaces of my mounting brackets and matching ones on JJ ends, because they were constantly meeting well before full misalignment is reached.
Can you explain the importance of misalignment to me?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #13 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Can you explain the importance of misalignment to me?
I don't think you want to take advice from a guy that has called the best joint option on the market a "half-baked design".

The stock JK has rubber bushings on both ends of the control arms. With the limited amount of factory suspension articulation (travel) this works fine. Once you make changes to the suspension to allow more travel then the flex range of the control arm end is maxed out this causes pressure on the brackets, control arm end, and bolt. Stock brackets are thin and only lightly welded onto the axle housing, they are easily ripped off. Brackets have been a problem from day one with linked coil spring suspensions. A joint that pivots allows for more movement or "misalignment". There are seveal designs currently on the market.

The real beauty of the JJ design is you can use them on both ends of the control arm so in effect you get twice the amount of control arm movement or "misalignment". Of course, opinions vary as always. I explained my reasoning a few post above in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #14 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you do have any questions about our new Monster Krawler Joints let us know! The new ones are a rebuildable sealed unit that comes pre greased from us and are pretty much maintenance free. They offer a full 40 degrees of misalignment.

RK

Last edited by Rock Krawler Suspension; 02-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 PM
lbh
Rock God

I like the jj but they wear quickly.

2007 JK
post #16 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Be aware... Johnny Joints aren't all that rebuild able. If that factors into your decision one bit, remove it as a plus.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Rock God

I plan on running the johnny joints from Jeep Speed Shop (JSS) seem like a pretty well made joint for a good price.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
I don't think you want to take advice from a guy that has called the best joint option on the market a "half-baked design".
And I, conversely, don't think you want to take advice from a guy who voluntarily overlooks an obvious mechanical interference issue which reduces joint performance and increases mounting point stresses, just so he can call them the 'best joint option on the market'.

But hey, each has our own opinion and its your money. Good luck whichever direction you go.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #19 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
JKowners Vendor

Our Krawler Joints are certainly pretty sweet! They offer a total of 40 degrees of misalignment, they are easy to be rebuilt with normal hand tools! They are a nice compromise between a JJ and a Heim Joint! They are tighter than a JJ with more misalignment, but they are smoother than a Heim Joint!

RK
post #20 of 27 Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Rock God

The RK joints are pretty sweet. They're tight and pretty much maintenance free, shoot some WD40 in it every now and again and roll on. The Johnny Joints are a decent joint but everything has its limits. I by no means think they are the best joint option on the market and I've almost used them all. Summit Machine seems to have that pretty nailed down and so does FK on the rod end side. The Johnny joints aren't bad but like stated above they do have a contact problems. A bushing at one end and a RK Joint would net the same amount of misalignment if not more than a JJ setup with less maintenance. Just something to think about.

Like us on

post #21 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Our Krawler Joints are certainly pretty sweet! They offer a total of 40 degrees of misalignment, they are easy to be rebuilt with normal hand tools! They are a nice compromise between a JJ and a Heim Joint! They are tighter than a JJ with more misalignment, but they are smoother than a Heim Joint!

RK
I only see right hand threads on your website. Do yall not offer a left hand thread in this joint. Looking at these has me interested but would like to have L&R hand threads.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Didn't Metalcloak also just recently come out with a new type of flex joint too? I have no idea of how well it works - I just wanted to add another to the selection.

post #23 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Hardly the best joint option, better options just cost more.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

OP...I think your signature says it all...RK

I love my RK joints. My flex is awesome

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #25 of 27 Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
I only see right hand threads on your website. Do yall not offer a left hand thread in this joint. Looking at these has me interested but would like to have L&R hand threads.
We do only offer right hand thread joints, we have run these krawler joints on both ends in arms on many rigs and never had a need for a left hand thread.

Let us know if you would like some more info about them!

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode