is this dumb? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

is this dumb?

ok so i'm about to buy a new lift, front driveshaft is about to go so i'm just gonna redo the entire suspension as opposed to buying control arms, more than likely gonna be a RK 3.5...

where i struggle is which one do i get?

3.5 max travel, consisting of a mid-arm package

or

3.5 long arm

i have read numerous threads about what some think or don't think is good about long arms and to be honest it just confuses me and i don't know who to believe.

i do alot of highway driving on 35s, and if i still have this JK (have been staring at stigo's for sale thread) I will jump to 37 when the time comes.

my jeep has seen the trail 5 times now, but nothing too crazy. i'm still learning.

i guess my questions are, will i regret not spending a couple hundred more bucks and getting the LA? do i even need it?

if i decide i want them later the upgrade is over 1k, to do it right off the bat looks like an extra $300-$400

just looking for facts, opinions, superstition, paper rock scissors, experience, rationale that would make you do one or the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Wheeler

As far as cost is concerned, labor to install a long arm kit will be quite a bit more since you have to do a lot of cutting and welding. If you were to go mid arm first and then decide to go long arm later you could always sell the control arms to get some of the money back. Also RK's mid arm kit flexes like crazy and should be plenty for most wheelers.
post #3 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
As far as cost is concerned, labor to install a long arm kit will be quite a bit more since you have to do a lot of cutting and welding. If you were to go mid arm first and then decide to go long arm later you could always sell the control arms to get some of the money back. Also RK's mid arm kit flexes like crazy and should be plenty for most wheelers.
i have not thought once about selling the mid arms to recoup some of the cost...good point

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That 3.5 RK midarm system is really flexy. I'd go with it just because the performance difference between that and a long arm isn't worth the additional install work needed. All just my oppinion

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #5 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Rock God

I agree with texaskev. I have never wanted more flex than what I have with my mid arm kit.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd agree with the sentiments above that a long arm isn't needed. You'll be plenty happy with the mid arm and flex it gives you.

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

Greg
post #7 of 31 Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

the 3.5 max travel is the way i was leaning. i'm just wanting this lift to be the last one...for awhile anyway...and a good one at that.

i originally bought the rancho because it was dirt fuckin cheap and i couldn't stand my stock height JK anymore. and not that its been a bad lift, but it doesn't come with control arms so i have no way to keep my front driveshaft happy

2010 Silver JKU
post #8 of 31 Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

googled rock krawler 3.5 flex and found this pic of their mid arm. Looks like it flexs pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
ok so i'm about to buy a new lift, front driveshaft is about to go so i'm just gonna redo the entire suspension as opposed to buying control arms, more than likely gonna be a RK 3.5...

where i struggle is which one do i get?

3.5 max travel, consisting of a mid-arm package

or

3.5 long arm

i have read numerous threads about what some think or don't think is good about long arms and to be honest it just confuses me and i don't know who to believe.

i do alot of highway driving on 35s, and if i still have this JK (have been staring at stigo's for sale thread) I will jump to 37 when the time comes.

my jeep has seen the trail 5 times now, but nothing too crazy. i'm still learning.

i guess my questions are, will i regret not spending a couple hundred more bucks and getting the LA? do i even need it?

if i decide i want them later the upgrade is over 1k, to do it right off the bat looks like an extra $300-$400

just looking for facts, opinions, superstition, paper rock scissors, experience, rationale that would make you do one or the other.
Sir,

From what it seems you will be doing with your rig the 3.5 mid arm kits are going to be right up your alley! The mid arm does indeed flex amazingly, and if at a later date you did choose you wanted to do a long arm you can just purchase the upgrade. All of your other componants will carry over to the long arm kit.

Here is a pic of our SEMA JKU sitting on a 3.5 X-factor mid arm kit with 37's and PSC's tube fenders.

Thanks,
RK
post #10 of 31 Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

yes it looks plenty flexy...thanks guys. we recently installed that kit on my buddy's jk but have yet to do anything but take it for a spin down the road...a work in progress i should say. looks like i just need to get my taxes done now so i have some $$...

2010 Silver JKU
post #11 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Sir,

From what it seems you will be doing with your rig the 3.5 mid arm kits are going to be right up your alley! The mid arm does indeed flex amazingly, and if at a later date you did choose you wanted to do a long arm you can just purchase the upgrade. All of your other componants will carry over to the long arm kit.

Here is a pic of our SEMA JKU sitting on a 3.5 X-factor mid arm kit with 37's and PSC's tube fenders.

Thanks,
RK
Awesome flex pic. where do you get 37" Grabbers?
post #12 of 31 Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Awesome flex pic. where do you get 37" Grabbers?
From General of course! LOL, they are the comp compound but not the best for a DD like this rig is.

RK
post #13 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Went 3.5 max travel...just finished it lol

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #14 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sick looking jeep ! Nice work!

My build

post #15 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Went 3.5 max travel...just finished it lol

Vandy
Looks great! Now get that thing on the trail.

2010 JK
2.5" RK, 4.56 gears, Detriot Trutracs F/R, Or-Fab front cage, Synergy rear cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, and a ton of other mods!
post #16 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbronco1 View Post
Sick looking jeep ! Nice work!
X2 came out great!

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #17 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Rock God

Damn that looks nice and exactly like what I want to do. Are those 37's?

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #18 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

You doing the install blindfolded? Feb to Dec?

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #19 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Looks great!!

I still need to get the rear control arms so I can push the axle back a tad on mine. Have the RK arms up front and love them.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #20 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
You doing the install blindfolded? Feb to Dec?

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #21 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Rock God

That shop looks spotless, I'm just as jealous of it as the lift!

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #22 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice work Vandy. Looks great. And don't let 'em give you crap about the Feb - Dec thing. Money and time, man. Money and time . . .

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #23 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

lol thanks everyone. they are 37s, and the last time she was offroad was a sandy creek...yeah, bein under there with my eyes open i've been cussing that decision every time a run the impact or break something loose!

i've had the lift since july, but never found a good time to put it on(weddings, cruise, birthday getaways, etc). we started it the saturday after thanksgiving, ran into a few issues, and i'm a noob at this. had some brake line parts missing, which marcus hooked me up with QUICKLY(thanks marcus)!

also put on driveshafts and had some issues there too, due to my noobness again, not the driveshafts fault...but stomper offroad and james at adams driveshafts were really quick to help and very patient with me. thanks again to them

now to find a trail...

2010 Silver JKU
post #24 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good Vandy. Makes me kind of miss my old silver.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #25 of 31 Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Looks good Vandy. Makes me kind of miss my old silver.
thanks man, i loved that jeep too. seems i saw a pic of it somewhere not too long ago when i was searching something. you trade up?

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode