post #1 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Modern Deisel Jeep conversions

Diesel Engine Conversion Contenders

1. 4bt
2. Duramax v8
3. BMW
4. TDI / Volswagon (might catch a little hell but good info and some badass engineering)
5. Powerstroke 2.8L ... 6.0L ... 6.4L
6. ...

Since the Bruiser thread sort of opened the door for a discussion on better suited diesel conversions I'm re-threading this with a more suitable title.

Bruiser is being set aside ... for now.

Got fairly "Bruised" over that one... Watta tasty Poop sandwich that one was... ... ...

jdemonto suggested the TDI which sounds promising. There is an informative emissions article at

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/D...AQ-VW-Audi.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
How about a TDI conversion more modern,fuel effecient and lighter 330lbs!

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/tdiconversions.htm

ALASHA offered an intriguing BMW possibility. Looking into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Innovation in my mind are these new diesels that are smaller, lighter, more efficient and produce alot more power than the 4BT (check out the new BMW diesels in the 3 series as example)
I'm not vehicularly racist (or of any other sort) however I would like to explore domestic alternatives. What possibilities are there with a Powerstroke 6.0L or 6.4L?

Regardless of your personal disposition toward diesel conversions and smog do's & don'ts ... please try to keep the bashing to a minimum. This thread is intended to be constructive not destructive.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ezfriday; 02-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Slow and Low

Fair enough...
I'm putting a jacked up ******* with a manual trans in mine. More info after EJS.

Last edited by Co4Lo; 02-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.
post #3 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If there's anything I know about Ford diesels... it's stay away... stay FAR away from that 6.0L. The holy grail would be the 2003 7.3L (or the new 6.7L, but that's a LONG shot).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

You need to be thinking smaller as any funk size truck diesel is way to big for the jk packaging. Domestically a guy in Canada imports a 2.8 powerstroke Ford light duty diesel.

Jd

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Canada = domestic? I always thought domestic meant American...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #6 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Its not Canadian is a Euro Diesel made by International for Ford. Currently there are no light duty diesels produced in the states. Event the little 2.8 Crd Jeep liberty was from Vm Motori...Italy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Research the dimensions of the Duramax(LBZ) V8. Will fit nicely.
I know but think about the drive-train that needs to be upgraded!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/ECR4powerstroke.html

More info on the 2.8 PS

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #8 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

If you have the coin these guys install the 2.8 VM Panther found in the Euro JK

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/jeep_conversions.html

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #9 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

i worked for a rebuild shop that specialized in ford diesels for 6 years...rebuilding db2 pumps be ae injectors and turbos etc, i will never own a "powerstroke" and discourage anyone from it....yes the 6.0 was horrible...the 7.3 was decent but knocky...the new 6.7 is massive...

that being said

smaller izuzu and hino engines will fit in our jks...duramax is izuzu..,

personally cummins has my vote they are bulletproof...
4bt is a torque monster and an endless supply of parts and it super easy to work on...its a b series so you have plenty of interchangeable parts with ol faithful 12v

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #10 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Granite Guru

its funny how ppl say the 6.0 was bad...they only issue(and mine never had any issues) was the damn egr shit that would lead to head gaskets..simple fix was an egr cooler and erg valve delete..every diesel has its horror stories and weak points. but i agreen that a smaller td would be best
post #11 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Rock God

HPA is a VW tuning company that has put VW TDI motors in IIRC a YJ and it was pretty damn nice.

Jersey

Crew
post #12 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperak View Post
its funny how ppl say the 6.0 was bad...they only issue(and mine never had any issues) was the damn egr shit that would lead to head gaskets..simple fix was an egr cooler and erg valve delete..every diesel has its horror stories and weak points. but i agreen that a smaller td would be best
no that wasnt the only issue...ive rebuilt more 6.0 pumps that i can remember...more than any other pump that came through my shop...even more than the p7100 that was more than a decade older

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #13 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarRubicon View Post
i worked for a rebuild shop that specialized in ford diesels for 6 years...rebuilding db2 pumps be ae injectors and turbos etc, i will never own a "powerstroke" and discourage anyone from it....yes the 6.0 was horrible...the 7.3 was decent but knocky...the new 6.7 is massive...

that being said

smaller izuzu and hino engines will fit in our jks...duramax is izuzu..,

personally cummins has my vote they are bulletproof...
4bt is a torque monster and an endless supply of parts and it super easy to work on...its a b series so you have plenty of interchangeable parts with ol faithful 12v
"endless supply of interchangeable parts" ... key ingredient for a trail rig. Like the easy to work on aspect as well. Still looking forward to seeing an actual smog test on the 4bt... Haven't completely negated the "Little Bastard" yet!

Thx 4 the input... the 4bt sounds like the old Chevy 350 of diesels. Too bad we haven't heard something of the smog testing efforts in its' defense. Do you think its possible for the 4bt to pass a diesel smog without Bill Gates backing the build?

Last I spoke with Kenny or Jeff the price tag for a 4bt was around $22k for a well built conversion. More than a gas conversion but that's indicative of a diesel conversion.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #14 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Granite Guru

wow i was reading the other threads..there are a lot of gassers that dont like the idea that a diesel would be a good transplant..maybe if they sat in a rig on 38s that ran a low 13 1/4 mile they would change their minds. ever since i ran my first tune from innovative i was hooked on torque
post #15 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfriday View Post
"endless supply of interchangeable parts" ... key ingredient for a trail rig. Like the easy to work on aspect as well. Still looking forward to seeing an actual smog test on the 4bt... Haven't completely negated the "Little Bastard" yet!

Thx 4 the input... the 4bt sounds like the old Chevy 350 of diesels. Too bad we haven't heard something of the smog testing efforts in its' defense. Do you think its possible for the 4bt to pass a diesel smog without Bill Gates backing the build?

Last I spoke with Kenny or Jeff the price tag for a 4bt was around $22k for a well built conversion. More than a gas conversion but that's indicative of a diesel conversion.
heres your smog test

4BT CUMMINS DIESEL BUGGY 49" IROK ROCKWELL - YouTube

but im sure since youre in ca and you have that whole certified clean idle crap going on youre gonna have to run some sort of filtering system...cummins new filtering system is pretty badass...(the new detroit is even better) but maybe some sort of small scale scr (selective catalyst reduction) system might work...maybe tune the pump back a little lean, whatever needs to be done it can be done...

im no engineer by any stretch of the word but from what ive been seeing just from hino (a toyota group) the shit they come up with is incredible...been doing alot of warranty work for excessive black smoke power complaints etc...what i used to do (up until this MY) is replace injectors, fuel pump, and different controllers....NOW the engineers have figured out the programing so that i can just recalibrate the injectors and fuel pump with a laptop...boom pow trucks back on the road in a few hours vs a day and a half

you can get factory rebuilt 4s straight from cummins now...just got a flyer a few months ago....

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #16 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Granite Guru

nuttin wrong with a little coal lol
post #17 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
wow i was reading the other threads..there are a lot of gassers that dont like the idea that a diesel would be a good transplant..maybe if they sat in a rig on 38s that ran a low 13 1/4 mile they would change their minds. ever since i ran my first tune from innovative i was hooked on torque
yea i know what you mean...i have the same feeling towards gas that they have to diesel...to me diesel is so much easier and easier to make real power...not just a bump in 15-20 hp/ft lbs but 100 ft/lb boosts with one hx 60...not to mention water/propane injection

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #18 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarRubicon View Post
yea i know what you mean...i have the same feeling towards gas that they have to diesel...to me diesel is so much easier and easier to make real power...not just a bump in 15-20 hp/ft lbs but 100 ft/lb boosts with one hx 60...not to mention water/propane injection
yeah without digging into the internals.. big stix a snow kit maybe a set of headstuds and a smoking tune...will bring some impressive numbers
post #19 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
yeah without digging into the internals.. big stix a snow kit maybe a set of headstuds and a smoking tune...will bring some impressive numbers
then go 30 over....

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #20 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Granite Guru

post #21 of 89 Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That HPA TDI Volkswagen is looking pretty sweet as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_4VrOgCHzSc

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/tdiconversions.htm

How does it face off with the Bruiser ?

Why aren't my videos showing up in playback window!

Forrest Grumpy
post #22 of 89 Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Canada IS America, just not the united states.

Second

I'm all about the 4bt. Or other 4cyl turbo diesels. In 2004 I had an '85 Pajero 4cyl TD (mitsubishi montero) while in Australia and it was fantastic. The thing I enjoyed most was putting it into 1st gear 4lo and letting out the clutch (yup it was a 5 spd) and crawling up sandy banks after crossing a river. All torque right from the get. Easy to manage power without high revs. Then you get the economy... I drove the entire east coast of Aus and averaged 34/36 mpg some hwy lots of dirt, fantastic. When I came home I was talking to buddy about putting a 4bt into a yj. Jeff beat me to it.

22k is expensive for an engine swap but it is worth it for a complete shakedown turnkey swap.

I had the opportunity to checkout Jeff's personal Bruiser 4bt while I was in FL. It is a beast. Though I wasn't able to take it off road you could tell the power was there. It's not fast but it was turned for economy and will go 75 all day long on 37's without breaking a sweat. It is awesome to feel the power at 1k rpm, the ability to pass on the hwy and still not have to run the rpm's above 3.5k. Easily controllable power that is usable without stressing the drivetrain. If you are going to EJS take the time to go check it out. It has made the short list for my JK once I've paid it off.

I did the math and at the current cost of diesel in CO it would take 13 years to pay back the cost of the conversion with fuel savings. That's if you run regular diesel, if you run waste veggie oil you'll pay yourself back even quicker. I have an 05 dodge 2500 with the 6.7L cummins with just over 50k miles on it and I only get 24mpg out of it when I'm not towing the horses.

Sorry for rambling. If you aren't sold on the 4bt cummins, Do find a 4cyl TD engine of someone's. The power vs weight and mpg is undeniably fantastic.

Does HPA have and vids of their jeep actually moving?

homebuilt JK - blood, sweat, lemonade. renamed LOOSE NUTS

Last edited by SCOUT37JK; 02-03-2012 at 12:26 AM.
post #23 of 89 Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Granite Guru

The Mitsubishi 4M41 motor would work well.... (it is the current day 3.2 liter version of the motor that you had in that old Pajero)
post #24 of 89 Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Wheeler

What about the 5 cyl Mercedes motors in the Sprinter vans? With as many as are out there, there has to be a supply of wrecked ones.
post #25 of 89 Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Keep in mind, the goal here is not to simply find a diesel engine that is awesome powerful; but to find one that also has low enough emissions to pass that portion of the smog test when running on everyday diesel.

As I've mentioned in several replies, it would sure be nice to see some tests on the Bruiser.

Same goes for the TDI.

Sent from my C771 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Forrest Grumpy

Last edited by ezfriday; 02-03-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode