Advice for $500 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Advice for $500

So here is my dilema. I have a pretty much bone stock JKU Sport. First time Jeep owner. I just won a $500 visa gift card through my work. I want to start putting some $$$ into the rig, but don't know where to start.

End product is a 3.5-4 inch lift with 35's. Sleeved and gussetted, snorkel and exhaust, lockers. I think that is it for performance mods (I know I know, it never ends), go bag with all essential Zombie Apocolypse survival equipment, large caliber rifles, tactical shotty for CQC, pistols for the personal stuff...........ect, ect, ect. Sorry. Got a little carried away.

Ok back on track. Need some help with the starting point for the Jeep. Advice?

**Woodie**
OllllO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What're we workin' with? You got any pics of your rig?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Granite Guru

500 wont go very far when it comes to wheels, tires, lifts....how about investing in some recovery gear and armor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
500 wont go very far when it comes to wheels, tires, lifts....how about investing in some recovery gear and armour?

Good point.

Lights are a possibility.

Maybe a set of take-off Rubi rails.

You could do a snorkel for under $500, but I'm not sure you wanna rock a snorkel on an otherwise bone-stock rig.

Quote:

post #5 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

You could get a 2" spacer lift, that would be aroun 100 and would level your Jeep out. And then maybe some lights.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #6 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Get a tow strap, a fire extinguisher with a vehicle mount, a CB radio setup and a leveling kit.

Hook up with some experienced Jeepers and start having some fun while you plan your next mods!

post #7 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Dude, 500 will get you the Rock Krawler stock mod kit. Do that, then save for 35s. Following that, armor, skids, rockers etc etc. Thats what I would do....then save for a regear/lockers/driveshafts etc.

I know people recommend armoring up before the tires/lift but thats a hard things to do

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #8 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Granite Guru

recovery gear and lights
since $500 won't cover a winch, get a 48" Hi-Lift jack and 3 pieces of chain 1x10-15ft, 1x4-5ft and 1x1-2 ft, the last 2 with grab hooks. Then youtube for "winching with hi-lift".
post #9 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

Since you dont have enough for a lift and if you offroad might as well get some armor for underneath your jeep, otherwise youll be fixing whatever you broke with that $500.
-Dan
post #10 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 PM
JKO Addict!

I would consider which is more important in deciding where to spend the money, I was in a similar dilemma, I opted to go with bumpers, skid and winch before the lift. Obviously $500 won't get all that but you can get a nice bumper for that plus some money for lights or a gear bag. Hit up Jason at Krawl Offrad he will work with you with what ever you need.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #11 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the advice guys! Think I'm leaning towards rails and a BB after reading your responses and just receiving a call from a fellow JKOwner. He know where I can get a set of Rubi take-offs for a fair price (THANKS CHRIS!!!)
And yes, I do need to get out on the trails. My biggest setback so far has been the crap SR-A's that I have Why does Jeep even have a street radial on a Wrangler dunno.

**Woodie**
OllllO
post #12 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Winch
post #13 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Winch.... Evo 1/4 pounder front bumper.... Bushwacker flats? 500 $1 bills? You hve options!

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #14 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

I have a bb and some shocks i just took off that i would let go for cheap

hit me with a pm if ur interested
post #15 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Granite Guru

Lunchbox lockers

2-door, locked, 5.13's, 37's.
post #16 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you have 17" wheels, you might luck into a set of Rubi take-off tires, too. Might be a stretch, but if you find some with a few miles you might get the tires and the rails for $500.

Quote:

post #17 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
If you have 17" wheels, you might luck into a set of Rubi take-off tires, too. Might be a stretch, but if you find some with a few miles you might get the tires and the rails for $500.
He has the Moab wheels already with the Goodyear SR-A's. I'm getting him taken care of on the take off tires through another JKO member so he can at least have decent Offroad tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you take your time and keep your eye on Craigslist and the "for sale" section of the Jeep forums, you'd be amazed how far $500 can go.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #19 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
Since you dont have enough for a lift and if you offroad might as well get some armor for underneath your jeep, otherwise youll be fixing whatever you broke with that $500.
-Dan
Not true. I got my RK stock mod for 500. Great kit. And its an actual coil spring lift, made by the best in the industry with a lifetime warranty. What more could you ask for?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #20 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relayer4u View Post
Get a tow strap, a fire extinguisher with a vehicle mount, a CB radio setup and a leveling kit.

Hook up with some experienced Jeepers and start having some fun while you plan your next mods!

This.

Why would you want or need a snorkel in AZ?

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #21 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
This.

Why would you want or need a snorkel in AZ?
To polish your intake runners from sucking up all of the sand. Gives it much better performance.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #22 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Eh, if that's aimed at me, I'm sorry, I must've missed where he said he was from AZ.

That being said, I'm fairly sure that everyone using a snorkel is STILL using an air filter so the sand comment was just a bit overboard.

Quote:

post #23 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Not everyone has the big bucks to pour into their rig, god knows I don't.
But you can do some free mods like the fender chop, stock stubby bumper mod and so on. Another option is don't wait for those stock tires to wear out sell them with the wheels. Sell all 5 add the 500 gift card and buy a set of 4 35's on 15" steelies and pick up the 5th later. Big lifts are sweet but they come with costly upgrade needs like drive shafts, bigger shocks, on and on.
A BB or 2" spring lift will let you wheel those 35's without having to change a lot of other parts. A lot of people will say don't go this route you'll just be going bigger later and that may be true but you need to learn to crawl before you walk and some of us will never have the money it takes to go big and do it right.

Best Two Guy's in the Buisness!
Jason at KOR

Marcus at RCO

Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
post #24 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

$500 to spend? There's a lot you can do with that. Bunch of negative Nancies up in here! LOL :drinking42:

I'd pick up a Rough Country Series 2 Budget Boost for $179, delivered.

"Series II kit includes front and rear coil spacers, front and rear brake line brackets, front and rear shock relocation brackets, rear track bar bracket, and rear sway bar links."

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2.html#

You will be able to re-use your stock shocks and coil springs and it's so cheap that you can pull it all off and resell it for $150 later.

I'd surf Craigslist for some pull of Rubicon sliders and I'd put the rest of the money toward a set of Rubi take offs.

You don't need a ton of money to go have a ton of fun in the wilderness. I wheeled for a long time on a budget boost and 35s. These things are extremely capable out of the box.

Marcus

post #25 of 42 Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Negative Nancies thats the funny. Listen to Marcus he knows his stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode