I need and opinion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I need and opinion

Ok so i got my RK 2.5 max travel pro lift today thanks to Jason at KOR , i was originally going to wait till spring to put the lift on at the same time i get tires and shocks. My question to you is should i drop the coin on some shocks and spydertrax wheel spacers and run my stock tires? If so would you recommend the RRDs, Bilstien 5100s or Fox 2.0s? Or should i hold out till spring and do it all at once? This is how i am sitting now, TIA for your advice.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Rock God

Spacers? Are you going to use your same wheels with new tires? If so then sure, you'll need them anyways. Shocks, any of those are good choices and will improve the ride even more. If you have the money, then why not?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Spacers? Are you going to use your same wheels with new tires? If so then sure, you'll need them anyways. Shocks, any of those are good choices and will improve the ride even more. If you have the money, then why not?
ya sorry should have specified i will be running the stock wheels with the new tires so ill be getting the spacers either way, very true about the money i just dont want it to look to goofy with out the tires

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Rock God

Dude the lift is on and the flares are cut! If it was going to look too goofy, it already would. Spacers and shocks won't make it any goofier . I say do it. I like it!
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For shocks, bilsteins are $, fox are $$, rrds are $$$. So how much coin you want to drop?

I would wait until Marcus gets back from the hammers and ask him about the difference between the bilsteins and foxs. He swapped his bils for foxs yesterday, so you could get some real world feedback.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Dude the lift is on and the flares are cut! If it was going to look too goofy, it already would. Spacers and shocks won't make it any goofier . I say do it. I like it!
the jeep is stock right now, the lift is sitting in my garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
For shocks, bilsteins are $, fox are $$, rrds are $$$. So how much coin you want to drop?

I would wait until Marcus gets back from the hammers and ask him about the difference between the bilsteins and foxs. He swapped his bils for foxs yesterday, so you could get some real world feedback.
Ya ill have to wait to see what he says, money is kinda tight right now so the bilsteins might be for me but ill do some more research of the fox shocks, thanks for the input.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I ran Teraflex shocks for over a year and really liked them. The price was pretty good, at least back then.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I'm a cheap bastard, I ran the stock rubis till they were shot 55k-ish, still Rollin the stock wheels as I can't afford the Walker Evans bead locks.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the advice TEXASKEV I'll have to look into those.

I never even thought about running stock shocks, I just figured they would be to small. I have never heard of guys running them with the lift, you may have just made my decision for me. I will definitely have to do some research on that. Thanks buddy!

post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
the jeep is stock right now, the lift is sitting in my garage ...
Whoops mis-read your "got" as "got on". I thought it looked a little short for a 2.5 lift. But then again in my defense, you did cut the flares.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru

I like the look of wheel spacers on the factory rubi wheels and tires. It's one of the first things I did to mine. Then a 1.25" body lift, now I have the 3.5" RK Mid-arm lift as well. I'm still running the stock wheels and tires. I've already ordered my new ones but they haven't arrived yet. Once they do I still need to prep and paint them. The wheel spacers makes the stock wheels and tires "fit" the jeep better, you'll be surprised at the visual improvement even after a lift. Toss the lift on, then add the wheel spacers and let us know what you think.

I bought my spacers from a guy off craigslist, they are not spidertrax or any other brand name I don't believe. They are hub and wheel centric however, which is what I'd recommend. Think I paid $65 for the set of 4, pretty cheap for used spacers. I've got over 7k miles on them and just had to remove them for the first time last night. Everthing looked good when I put them back on after wrenching. Be sure to use blue loctite and a torque wrench to put them on evenly and in a star pattern. I'd buy off brand spacers again in a heart beat, and I saved a bunch of money. Something you might want to consider. There's a vendor on here that would probably give you a great price too, here's their vendors thread..

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66579

As far as shocks, IMO the Rubicon shocks are very nice. The ride is what I'd consider soft, I have a 4 door, not sure if there's a difference with the 2 door. Currently I have the bilsteins, I can tell they are a little bit stiffer, but they recover very nice and settle great after taking bumps. I'm happy with the way they ride and I would absolutely purchase them again.

2011 Green JK Rubicon Unlimited Purchased 10/18/2011
Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

Last edited by lunneborgc; 02-03-2012 at 11:59 AM.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Get the lift on there...who cares what anyone says as long as you like it. It's not going to look huge until you put the 35s or 37s on it either. I think it'll look just fine, especially with the wheel spacers to poke em out a little bit and widen your stance.

In regard to shocks, I just put the 2.0s on in exchange for Bilstein 5100s and I have the 2.5" Max Travel. I've put a few miles on it now and in my honest opinion the Fox 2.0s are not a huge upgrade for the difference in money. It is roughly $200 more for Fox 2.0s and I'd put that money somewhere else if I were you.

Besides that, you'll have to clearance your RK rear track bar mount to work with the Fox shocks due to the larger body.

HOWEVER, if you're talking about going with the RRDs you're in the same price range as an adjustable shock which would be an upgrade for tune-ability.

Honest opinions don't make anyone money but they make life easier on both ends.

Marcus

post #13 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Get the lift on there...who cares what anyone says as long as you like it. It's not going to look huge until you put the 35s or 37s on it either. I think it'll look just fine, especially with the wheel spacers to poke em out a little bit and widen your stance.

In regard to shocks, I just put the 2.0s on in exchange for Bilstein 5100s and I have the 2.5" Max Travel. I've put a few miles on it now and in my honest opinion the Fox 2.0s are not a huge upgrade for the difference in money. It is roughly $200 more for Fox 2.0s and I'd put that money somewhere else if I were you.

Besides that, you'll have to clearance your RK rear track bar mount to work with the Fox shocks due to the larger body.

HOWEVER, if you're talking about going with the RRDs you're in the same price range as an adjustable shock which would be an upgrade for tune-ability.

Marcus

I love reading honest opinions from vendors on here. Honest opinions might not make you money but it will bring you business in the end. Thank you Marcus! I literally just got an email from my buddy (2 minutes ago) who bought the same RK lift I have and purchased the FOX shocks last night. Something tells me I'll be installing that lift as well, but I'm anxious to see the difference between his shocks and my 5100's.

2011 Green JK Rubicon Unlimited Purchased 10/18/2011
Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunneborgc View Post

I love reading honest opinions from vendors on here. Honest opinions might not make you money but it will bring you business in the end. Thank you Marcus! I literally just got an email from my buddy (2 minutes ago) who bought the same RK lift I have and purchased the FOX shocks last night. Something tells me I'll be installing that lift as well, but I'm anxious to see the difference between his shocks and my 5100's.
Ha ha! Right on man!

The Fox shocks are much beefier, don't get me wrong. But it's the difference in ride and overall performance that I'm looking for when I spend money on shocks.

I'm glad I tried these out.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

Marcus
Thanks for the input Marcus, I think the wheel spacers will hold me over till i decide when to get the shocks and tires at the same time. For the shocks I think the Fox 2.0s are out, i rather spend the little extra money into something that will be much better than stock. Not to familiar with adjustable shocks, ill have to do some more research on those guys.

Idk if it matters but i plain on getting some Nitto Tail Grapplers 35-12.5-17. How do you guys feel about the Treadwright tires? Are they worth the savings?

Thanks for everyones advice its really making this easier

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode