3rd Wheel Speed Sensor in 1 Year - WTF Rant - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

3rd Wheel Speed Sensor in 1 Year - WTF Rant

I am really getting tired of unreliable computerized crap. I replaced my right front sensor about a year ago. I replaced my left one last July. Now the left one is throwing a code again. Granted I offroad fairly hard every month or two, but this is getting ridiculous. Perhaps something so dang sensitive doesn't belong in the wheel well of an offroad vehicle. </rant off>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Dang, that's crazy for them to be giving you so much trouble. I don't think its a wide spread issue, 80K on mine and no such issue. But still, I hate all the computer crap on our JKs. Too may things can go wrong.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

Buy a ProCal, set PSI to 0, and throw sensors in trash.

Jeep Jumps, Nemesis Rocks, Hutchinson Shimmies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

I am turning off the tpms on my rug as soon as my new wheels and tires show up. I find it annoying when I run my tires at 28 lbs to see the light all the time. I opted for no sensors in the new wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyjk View Post
Buy a ProCal, set PSI to 0, and throw sensors in trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakemanPa View Post
I am turning off the tpms on my rug as soon as my new wheels and tires show up. I find it annoying when I run my tires at 28 lbs to see the light all the time. I opted for no sensors in the new wheels.

Wheel speed sensors have nothing to do the the TPMS.

OP, are you removing the dust shield when you install the sensors in the front? I know it is next to impossible to feed them through without removing the shield. Perhaps you are messing them up on install?

Also, check how tight the wires are at full droop. Might be causing you trouble.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post

OP, are you removing the dust shield when you install the sensors in the front? I know it is next to impossible to feed them through without removing the shield. Perhaps you are messing them up on install?

Also, check how tight the wires are at full droop. Might be causing you trouble.
I just replaced my front left sensor and that metal shield was a huge pain!!! I still have the lights on so my luck I damaged the wire bending it in such an abnormal way to make it fit in the small opening on the shield. Does that shield come off easily?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, I replaced a rear one and the lights are still in. I'm guessing
I have an issue in the harness but it doesnt look as simple as being able to replace one little part. It looks like the speed sensors are all one big harness.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #8 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKjeepguy View Post
I just replaced my front left sensor and that metal shield was a huge pain!!! I still have the lights on so my luck I damaged the wire bending it in such an abnormal way to make it fit in the small opening on the shield. Does that shield come off easily?
You need to remove the unit bearing to remove the shield, so to answer your question, not really! lol

You might be able to get past removing it by enlarging the hole, but I am sure if the sensor was damaged, it happened when you tried to fit it through the dust shield.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post

Wow did I have a brain fart there... That's what I get for forum reading and replying at work

post #10 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just decided to cut off the dust shield tonight with a die grinder. I was thinking more about preventing the gravel and mud from caking between it and the rotor than the installation of the sensor. I had my multimeter on it trying to find a bad spot. It seemed to flip/flop readings more near the connector. The last replacement was long, so I had a small amount bundled with a tie wrap, but no super tight turns. Seems like it may have been that area. I get 3M ohms or open (infinite) depending on the moment. The jeep is ready for he new sensor soon as it gets here.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

On the topic of programmers, has anyone seen any way to remove ABS/ESP via a programmer? I am about ready to do without it - it's not worth it anymore.

I don't want the codes being thrown, though. Anyone know if you would fail a smog check based on an ABS code? Seems dumb that you would, but it wouldn't surprise me.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine154 View Post
On the topic of programmers, has anyone seen any way to remove ABS/ESP via a programmer? I am about ready to do without it - it's not worth it anymore.

I don't want the codes being thrown, though. Anyone know if you would fail a smog check based on an ABS code? Seems dumb that you would, but it wouldn't surprise me.
If by smog check you mean a state emissions test - then no. I am in PA and passed an emissions test and state inspection last Friday with the ABS, EAP/BAS, and traction control lights on. Now granted, this wasn't the most "reputable" place to have this done at but I have the print out from emissions test and everything says passed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode