Steering Issue - ???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering Issue - ????

2 weeks ago we went out for a little trail ride (nothing major) and I was in the lead and basically was the ice-breaker at every water hole (when I say "HOLE" I mean 18" deep max)...There was probably 3/4"-1" of ice at each "HOLE"...On our way home I noticed that I was starting to saw the steering back and forth just to keep it on the road...They next day I crawled under the JK and looked everything over and didn't see anything that looked like it was broke, loose, or bent...

It has slowly gotten worse and I can't seem to figure it out...Tonight on my way home from work to was swaying back and forth so bad that I had to slow down below 55mph...If you guys have any ideas please let me know...I would greatly appreciate it...Thanks.

BTW...Last May when I had my state inspection done I needed lower ball joints and the shop installed just the lowers and they were MOOG's...Not sure if the uppers may be bad now...

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Granite Guru

Check you toe-in. Mine exhibited that symptom when mine was off.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-alignment#toe

2008 Rescue Green JKU Sahara
post #3 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

X2, this is probably toe. It doesn't take much to bend a stock tierod and it doesn't take much bend to mess toe up.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I will check it over in the morning...If my tierod is bent what should I replace it with (less than $400)????

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank29 View Post
Well I will check it over in the morning...If my tierod is bent what should I replace it with (less than $400)????
U can certainly get a nice aftermarket tie rod (poly/RK etc) for less than $400.

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, I have found a couple things so far...I will download pics later today...

#1. About 3 months ago I received a Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer kit as a gift...I installed it and have about 3500 miles on it now...One bracket on the tierod pass side is bent...I can see that the bracket that mounts to the axle and has both stabilizers mounted has been rubbing the tierod also...

#2. I checked the toe and it is 3/16" difference from front to rear...However, I did notice tire wear on the inner pass side tire...I'm rotating my tires at this time so I will see if I notice any difference and I will be watching for any odd wearing since this rotation...

#3. My rear upper driver side control arm (TearFlex) is shot...The threads are worn and the jam nut is stripped...I have to look into just buying a replacement arm or possibly the heim end...

I know it would be better to add pics to this right now but I have to find the cord to the camera and I'm burning daylight right now...LOL

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Granite Guru

Tank, On #2: 3/16th which way?

The front should be narrower than the back.

If that is true, 3/16 is too much. It should be no more than 1/8th (i know a 16th is tough to tell using a tape measure)

I the rear is narrower then it is way out spec and would definitely cause what you are describing.

good luck!

2008 Rescue Green JKU Sahara
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJK View Post
Tank, On #2: 3/16th which way?

The front should be narrower than the back.

If that is true, 3/16 is too much. It should be no more than 1/8th (i know a 16th is tough to tell using a tape measure)

I the rear is narrower then it is way out spec and would definitely cause what you are describing.

good luck!
Yep the front was narrower then the rear...I have it adjusted to a rough 1/8 using a tape measure and doing it by myself...Time will tell...Thanks

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode